• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MinatoSparkle

He/Him
There are a ton of Naruto characters that have fought proficient genjutsu users and not been affected by it, and while it's possible to write it off as PIS, I think resistance is much more logical.

This would apply to Kinshiki and Isshiki mostly, as they're Otsutsukis with dojutsu, which would make me think they should have resistance of some sort. Also others that fought a good genjutsu user while looking them straight in the eyes but without dojutsu should get likely resistance to mind manipulation/illusion creation. This would include Tobirama, Hiruzen, Minato, Gaara, Mifune, Mei, Tsunade, Ohnoki, Kabuto (Itachi needed Tsukuyomi to put him under genjutsu, regular genjutsu wasn't used even when Kabuto was paralyzed by the Izanami), Kisame, and Asura. I probably missed a few, so point them out if you thought of any.

For some of these, you could just argue it's PIS because having an Uchiha win every fight right at the start with genjutsu wouldn't be interesting, but those that I really think should have it are the Hokage as they're considered to excel in every area. Tobirama being a sensory type would probably allow him to detect and break out if he ever got caught which I'm not sure would happen. Hiruzen is said to know every jutsu and in that case it's hard to believe he doesn't at least have a borderline genjutsu resistance. And Minato is called an unparalleled genius and is also a sensory shinobi and has excellent chakra control which would help disrupt the flow of his chakra. As well, Kisame should very likely have it, as he's been Itachi's partner for years. Asura is more vague, as we don't know how good Indra's genjutsu is, but considering he's an Otsutsuki who strongly inherited Hagoromo's eyes, I'd be willing to bet Asura has some resistance to his genjutsu or he would lose every encounter with him.

Ok bro what?
This would apply to Kinshiki and Isshiki mostly, as they're Otsutsukis with dojutsu, which would make me think they should have resistance of some sort.
This is founded on nothing.
Also others that fought a good genjutsu user while looking them straight in the eyes but without dojutsu should get likely resistance to mind manipulation/illusion creation. This would include Tobirama, Hiruzen, Minato, Gaara, Mifune, Mei, Tsunade, Ohnoki, Kabuto (Itachi needed Tsukuyomi to put him under genjutsu, regular genjutsu wasn't used even when Kabuto was paralyzed by the Izanami), Kisame, and Asura. I probably missed a few, so point them out if you thought of any.
You named 11 people, 10 with no justifications.

The only one you said was Kabuto, and "Itachi needed Tsukuyomi to put him under genjutsu" he wanted to use his most potent genjutsu to hypnotize him into breaking the reanimation.
For some of these, you could just argue it's PIS because having an Uchiha win every fight right at the start with genjutsu wouldn't be interesting, but those that I really think should have it are the Hokage as they're considered to excel in every area.
Naruto is the hokage and he doesn't do any genjutsu.
Tsunade was the hokage and she didn't do any genjutsu.
Minato was the hokage and we've never seen him do a single genjutsu related action in his life.
Tobirama being a sensory type would probably allow him to detect and break out if he ever got caught which I'm not sure would happen. Hiruzen is said to know every jutsu and in that case it's hard to believe he doesn't at least have a borderline genjutsu resistance. And Minato is called an unparalleled genius and is also a sensory shinobi and has excellent chakra control which would help disrupt the flow of his chakra. As well, Kisame should very likely have it, as he's been Itachi's partner for years.
You just named a bunch of qualities.
Sensory types have nothing to do with genjutsu. Sasuke used a regular Sharingan genjutsu and put Cee, a goated sensory type, into a genjutsu and paralyzed him.
Knowing every jutsu ≠ having genjutsu resistance. Genjutsu resistance isn't a jutsu.
Minato is an unparalleled genius and he scales below half the verse in AP. Most we've seen of Minato's unparalleled anything is intelligence.
Asura is more vague, as we don't know how good Indra's genjutsu is, but considering he's an Otsutsuki who strongly inherited Hagoromo's eyes, I'd be willing to bet Asura has some resistance to his genjutsu or he would lose every encounter with him.
Willing to bet = no proof

I'm not even gonna lie, the "resistances" in Naruto aren't even resistances. They just have methods to break out.
It's like giving someone resistance to fire manipulation because they have a water bottle.
If Genjutsu was paralysis, resistance is not being paralyzed at all or being able to move to an extent, while what they do in Naruto is finding methods of breaking out.
Or a better one, drowning. Resistance is water breathing while what they do in Naruto is swim to the top and breathe.
Not even, dying. Resistance is being immortal while what they do in Naruto is resurrect.
These aren't resistances at all.

Kurenai put Itachi in a genjutsu. If he was resistance with his Dojutsu, he'd never be put in a genjutsu. Random ninja put Kakashi, Guy, Sakura, Shikamaru, and others in a genjutsu. If they were resistance, they'd never be put in a genjutsu.

That isn't even resistance.

Every Ninja with over borderline common sense in Naruto knows how to do this as well. This isn't resistance to mind manipulation, this is just a method to get out of it.

Strangely enough, Pre-War Arc Naruto does not have Resistance to Illusion Creation, even though he broke out of Itachi's genjutsu in #259.
Although, that ability is really less Resistance, and more of a Limited Power Nullification.

Yeaaa... Instead of Resistance to Illusion Creation, characters like Naruto, Sakura, and Kakashi should have Illusion Negation.

This would apply to Kinshiki and Isshiki mostly, as they're Otsutsukis with dojutsu, which would make me think they should have resistance of some sort.
Isshiki has one unknown dojutsu that doesn't even have mental suggestion properties and a Byakugan. It allowed him to use a jutsu and measure his life. Kinshiki has a pair of Byakugan and that's it. This is not enough to resist genjutsu.
There are a ton of Naruto characters that have fought proficient genjutsu users and not been affected by it, and while it's possible to write it off as PIS, I think resistance is much more logical.
If we were to talk about how many times a character in Boruto didn't use things that would've been useful because of the plot, we'd be losing a lot of time.

This entire thread boils down to "This character was not affected by genjutsu while fighting a genjutsu user, so they must have Resistance to Illusion Creation". Of course, this is wrong—the OP would have to prove that the characters used genjutsu on their opponent, and they were unaffected by it.

They can't.

This would apply to Kinshiki and Isshiki mostly, as they're Otsutsukis with dojutsu, which would make me think they should have resistance of some sort. Also others that fought a good genjutsu user while looking them straight in the eyes but without dojutsu should get likely resistance to mind manipulation/illusion creation. This would include Tobirama, Hiruzen, Minato, Gaara, Mifune, Mei, Tsunade, Ohnoki, Kabuto (Itachi needed Tsukuyomi to put him under genjutsu, regular genjutsu wasn't used even when Kabuto was paralyzed by the Izanami), Kisame, and Asura. I probably missed a few, so point them out if you thought of any.

For some of these, you could just argue it's PIS because having an Uchiha win every fight right at the start with genjutsu wouldn't be interesting, but those that I really think should have it are the Hokage as they're considered to excel in every area. Tobirama being a sensory type would probably allow him to detect and break out if he ever got caught which I'm not sure would happen. Hiruzen is said to know every jutsu and in that case it's hard to believe he doesn't at least have a borderline genjutsu resistance. And Minato is called an unparalleled genius and is also a sensory shinobi and has excellent chakra control which would help disrupt the flow of his chakra. As well, Kisame should very likely have it, as he's been Itachi's partner for years. Asura is more vague, as we don't know how good Indra's genjutsu is, but considering he's an Otsutsuki who strongly inherited Hagoromo's eyes, I'd be willing to bet Asura has some resistance to his genjutsu or he would lose every encounter with him.
Yes it is logical but seeing is believing, You cant use off screen battles to determine.
or saying things like he did not use genjutsu cause he knew it wont work. unless it was stated

for kabuto case yes it was implied. but for the rest it was not and Ay got caught in a genjutsu the moment madara used one on him, although he broke out of it. that should mean madara did not simply use genjutsu on Gaara, Mei, Tsunade and Ohnoki.

The person that should get a likely resistance to genjutsu is Mui, he fought and could see through all of hozuki illusions. so he i agree should get

I'm not even gonna lie, the "resistances" in Naruto aren't even resistances.
Well, I guess so, except like dojutsu users the rest just say "kai" to release themselves from genjutsu. I would argue they do just have some innate resistance actually because that feather sleep genjutsu thing didn't act on them like it did on the audience and they saw through it straight away.

You say it as if all the genin broke out
That's because they were trained in it :3
Doesn't matter, they're still genin level not even chunin level in terms of training or missions at this point + pretty much all the jounin broke out anyway this sort of ninja break out thing is a basic general technique, there's a reaon why sharingan is so feared and reg genjutsu is treated as fodder. Like even genin are learning basic techniques to break out.

Doesn't matter, they're still genin level not even chunin level in terms of training or missions at this point + pretty much all the jounin broke out anyway this sort of ninja break out thing is a basic general technique
You know Sakura was stated to have the best chakra control in the village next to the Hokage correct?
You know Shikamaru is one of the most intelligent characters in the series even at his young age who trains with one of the best and brightest ninja in the village, his father, correct?

"All the jounin broke out" only like 3 did

You know Sakura was stated to have the best chakra control in the village next to the Hokage correct?
You know Shikamaru is one of the most intelligent characters in the series even at his young age who trains with one of the best and brightest ninja in the village, his father, correct?
I admit Sakura has a talent for genjutsu and Shikamaru is also intelligent but those don't really matter.
"All the jounin broke out" only like 3 did
There was not one jounin there who was kept under the effects of genjutsu. You can feel free to point out any jounin who was affected.

I admit Sakura has a talent for genjutsu and Shikamaru is also intelligent but those don't really matter.
Screen_Shot_2021-06-21_at_9.14.21_AM.png

Really does matter
There was not one jounin there who was kept under the effects of genjutsu. You can feel free to point out any jounin who was affected.
Never mind then

Obviously it's not something that all Genin and Chuunin can do. That's why they need to be actively taught the technique, as we see with Sakura and later with Naruto after training with Jiraiya.
The obvious limitation to this technique is that it's useless against Sharingan genjutsu, in the sense that the user can't break himself out. Naturally that makes sense, as that's partially why the Sharingan is so feared and notorious. Other genjutsu such as Tayuya's and Jiraiya's also can't be broken out of, but that's neither here nor there.

I think all high level Shinobi should have the basic technique, though. We saw that numerous times. I recall even the likes of Hidan and Kakuzu could use the technique in the Akatsuki novel. Granted, they're both S rank Ninja, so I guess it makes sense.

By the way, since we're on the topic of genjutsu lol. Why do all Byakugan users have Resistance to Illusions on their profiles? Apologies if I'm missing something super obvious here, my memory ain't what it used to be.

They can use byakugan to see directly through illusions iirc, although I don't know where this is from, might be some headcaon
Yeah, that's what worries me lol. I don't really remember any example of a Byakugan user resisting or undoing a genjutsu.

Ok bro what?

This is founded on nothing.

You named 11 people, 10 with no justifications.

The only one you said was Kabuto, and "Itachi needed Tsukuyomi to put him under genjutsu" he wanted to use his most potent genjutsu to hypnotize him into breaking the reanimation.

Naruto is the hokage and he doesn't do any genjutsu.
Tsunade was the hokage and she didn't do any genjutsu.
Minato was the hokage and we've never seen him do a single genjutsu related action in his life.

You just named a bunch of qualities.
Sensory types have nothing to do with genjutsu. Sasuke used a regular Sharingan genjutsu and put Cee, a goated sensory type, into a genjutsu and paralyzed him.
Knowing every jutsu ≠ having genjutsu resistance. Genjutsu resistance isn't a jutsu.
Minato is an unparalleled genius and he scales below half the verse in AP. Most we've seen of Minato's unparalleled anything is intelligence.

Willing to bet = no proof

I'm not even gonna lie, the "resistances" in Naruto aren't even resistances. They just have methods to break out.
It's like giving someone resistance to fire manipulation because they have a water bottle.
If Genjutsu was paralysis, resistance is not being paralyzed at all or being able to move to an extent, while what they do in Naruto is finding methods of breaking out.
Or a better one, drowning. Resistance is water breathing while what they do in Naruto is swim to the top and breathe.
Not even, dying. Resistance is being immortal while what they do in Naruto is resurrect.
These aren't resistances at all.

Kurenai put Itachi in a genjutsu. If he was resistance with his Dojutsu, he'd never be put in a genjutsu. Random ninja put Kakashi, Guy, Sakura, Shikamaru, and others in a genjutsu. If they were resistance, they'd never be put in a genjutsu.

That isn't even resistance.

Every Ninja with over borderline common sense in Naruto knows how to do this as well. This isn't resistance to mind manipulation, this is just a method to get out of it.
I mean...other Byakugan users have resistance so...

I already said why

If Kabuto had no resistance a regular genjutsu would've sufficed, as Sasuke used a normal genjutsu to have a cloud ninja tell him where Bee was

Naruto and Tsunade aren't known as geniuses across the board.

Ok, but it seems kinda disingenous to assume someone with the highest exams scores in history doesn't know basic genjutsu stuff like breaking out. Plus he has yin element and
main-qimg-0c69eb2c5b28847cfbf3255d6a413006

Karin was able to detect if her chakra was being affected by genjutsu against Danzo. You can sense if your chakra is being disturbed
Naruto Chapter 477 Page 4

And then there's that basic thing that even Naruto could somewhat do, which someone with excellent chakra control could do on another level (as seen with Sakura being the onle one to break out of the clam genjutsu in the last). Also an MS genjutsu is far more powerful than a regular one, so it makes sense that it worked then.

But if Hiruzen studied all of Konoha's genjutsu he should know of counters. That seems like a pretty hard thing to miss.

After the revisions he'll be High 7-A, and already has 6-C for Sage Mode.

I mean, that sorta does sound like a resistance. Negation works too though I guess. Although there is such a thing as genjutsu resistance of some sort, given the fact that Sasuke wasn't affected by IT, Deidara could train his eye to be immune to non powerful genjutsu, etc.

There's such a thing as limited resistance.
The person that should get a likely resistance to genjutsu is Mui, he fought and could see through all of hozuki illusions. so he i agree should get
I agree with that
Obviously it's not something that all Genin and Chuunin can do. That's why they need to be actively taught the technique, as we see with Sakura and later with Naruto after training with Jiraiya.
The obvious limitation to this technique is that it's useless against Sharingan genjutsu, in the sense that the user can't break himself out. Naturally that makes sense, as that's partially why the Sharingan is so feared and notorious. Other genjutsu such as Tayuya's and Jiraiya's also can't be broken out of, but that's neither here nor there.

I think all high level Shinobi should have the basic technique, though. We saw that numerous times. I recall even the likes of Hidan and Kakuzu could use the technique in the Akatsuki novel. Granted, they're both S rank Ninja, so I guess it makes sense.
I don't think it's that they can't break out, it's just harder to break out of sharingan genjutsu than regular genjutsu.

Ya.

Tbh I don't even know If ALL genjutsu effects chakra flow
IN The FOD when the rain ninja put team 7+ Kabuto under GJ sasuke used his sharingan to check chakra flow and it wasn't effected
When team 7 was going to take the written test sasuke was able to see through the genjutsu that mixed the floors up without "kai" Naruto and sakura also saw through it
When cee user GJ on jugo and sasuke nobody had to reset jugos chakra for him to get out etc

I agree with giving ''possible resistance to regular genjutsu'' to at least Jounin level shinobi or above.
Is there a verse page for all Ninjas?
One should be created to be honest and all abilities that are common to certain ninjas should be added

IN The FOD when the rain ninja put team 7+ Kabuto under GJ sasuke used his sharingan to check chakra flow and it wasn't effected
When team 7 was going to take the written test sasuke was able to see through the genjutsu that mixed the floors up without "kai" Naruto and sakura also saw through it
When cee user GJ on jugo and sasuke nobody had to reset jugos chakra for him to get out etc
i am about to honestly tackle this genjutsu pertaining to chakra flow something.
In the shikamaru novel it was stated that not everyone has chakra and majority of the civillians dont have chakra and just ninjas, born with it and those taught in the art does.
but there are many instances of mass genjutsu on even the said civillians

i am about to honestly tackle this genjutsu pertaining to chakra flow something.
In the shikamaru novel it was stated that not everyone has chakra and majority of the civillians dont have chakra and just ninjas, born with it and those taught in the art does.
but there are many instances of mass genjutsu on even the said civillians
I thought everybody did its just not every1 can manipulate it

What's FOD?

So yeah resistance proof there

Was Jugo put under?

I thought everybody did its just not every1 can manipulate it
thats the thing, you need to be able to mix physical and spiritual energy together to create chakra(Ninshu). everyone has physical and spiritual chakras but not everyone has the ability to mix it together
@M3X is already working on a page for the Sharingan I believe.
that will be added to the verse page after it is created

Back