• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mythology Profile Standards

Here is our current editing rule text:

"Do not create profiles for deities and other figures from religions with a significant quantity of modern day followers. This includes those described in Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam. Featuring these types of profiles is certain to upset large groups of people. The exceptions to this are ones with an incredibly small amount of current followers, such as the Aesir faith, and ones for which the followers are agnostic, such as Shintoism."

Oh wow. So much work done for those profiles, and they're just gone like that...

Couldn't we have kept them somewhere? It just feels like a waste to delete every single one.

I mean, you can just ask an admin or content mod to send you the profile data, so you can shift them to your sandbox.

They're not gone-gone, it's fairly easy to back up pages.

Also I disagree with the notion "alot of work was put into them" for the majority of them.

Are any of you willing to help out with adding new verse categories for the remaining pages, and with writing a draft for our new relevant rules regarding mythology pages?

Okay. Thank you for helping out. It is appreciated.

The thing Apex listed seems like a compendium of myths rather than its own legit source originating them.

This is me making pages off Wikipedia articles claiming they're in the same canon because they're all on Wikipedia
Some of the stories were reinvented by the author of the book and many of them are original from him

You better make a blog that details that, in addition that doesn't extend to all the book, so you'll also have to show which are "original" and which aren't.

Can anyone get a Spanish staff member in here to verify the stuff Apex is proposing?

Also you did no elaboration whatsoever, for all its worth you can very well be making this up at the top of your head :V

Can anyone get a Spanish staff member in here to verify the stuff Apex is proposing?

Also you did no elaboration whatsoever, for all its worth you can very well be making this up at the top of your head :V
Eh?

As you can read on the list most of the colombian myths are gonna be deleted, just few ones are gonna be saved.

Also I'll be glad to make the elaboration, if someone here can explain me how to do it?

I'll try to explain what Apex did in there. So in Mitos y Leyendas de Colombia wrote by Asdrubal Lopez Orozco, several myths are present in there, some myths are originals, and some are just adaptations. Apex in the blog made a list with the original ones and the adaptation ones.

Mostly the problem I have currently is that I have little to no proof here that they are original except what you say, so.

....wasn't this a problem with that Russian verse too a while back btw?

Yeah, no one was willing to actually check it and it got removed, assuming you mean of Undoubtedly First.
This is different however, as in here Spanish isn't as hard to find translators as Russian. The question is which staff member within the criteria is willing to do so.
Only @Super_Saiyan_God_Julian , @Eficiente , @Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer and @Antoniofer fill the criteria (There's also Matt, but his own is quite limited).

Here is our current editing rule text:

"Do not create profiles for deities and other figures from religions with a significant quantity of modern day followers. This includes those described in Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam. Featuring these types of profiles is certain to upset large groups of people. The exceptions to this are ones with an incredibly small amount of current followers, such as the Aesir faith, and ones for which the followers are agnostic, such as Shintoism."
Here's mine:
"Do not create profiles for deities and other figures from religions such as Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, as well as traditional mythologies. Featuring these types of profiles is not only certain to upset large groups of people, but these faiths also have various sects with radically different interpretations and understanding of the beings themselves, which thus makes it hard to properly compile an accurate profile. The exceptions to this are mythologies that are based on a specific fictional work separate from mainstream religion, such as Journey to the West and the Shanmeh, which allow an accurate profile and doesn't cause offensive for religious believers.

It's not even about language barrier at this point.

We have to get another Columbian user unaffiliated with Apex to verify whether these myths exist prior or not. Spanish is an insanely expansive language, so how would say, a mexican know enough to verify Columbian culture and folklore.

Honestly even then I would straight up refuse this because it seems like an excessively obscure book with no English translation available, and whose canonicity can only be checked by experts which do not exist on this wiki, or unreliably, other people of that ethnicity familiar with said culture.

How about something like this?

*Do not create profiles for deities and other figures from religions with a significant quantity of modern day followers. This includes those described in Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam. Featuring these types of profiles is certain to upset large groups of people.

*In addition, even dead religions, ones with an incredibly small amount of current followers, such as the Aesir faith, and ones for which the followers are agnostic, such as Shintoism, frequently contain myths and interpretations that are radically different and contradictory to each other, which makes it near impossible to pattern coherent information into statistical profile page information. As such, we only make exceptions for mythologies that are based on specific fictional works separate from any mainstream religion, such as Journey to the West and the Shanmeh, that can provide reasonably high coherence and accuracy for our purposes, and lessen the offense to religious believers.

It's not even about language barrier at this point.

We have to get another Columbian user unaffiliated with Apex to verify whether these myths exist prior or not. Spanish is an insanely expansive language, so how would say, a mexican know enough to verify Columbian culture and folklore.

Honestly even then I would straight up refuse this because it seems like an excessively obscure book with no English translation available, and whose canonicity can only be checked by experts which do not exist on this wiki, or unreliably, other people of that ethnicity familiar with said culture.

The book is in fact the most famous/popular book of myths and legends in Colombia.

But think about it, saying that a book is little known because it is not in another language is not correct. It is also like saying that the American book Vampires, Zombies and Werewolves is not important just because it is not translated into Spanish or other language.

I must admit that you have a point in saying that we need other Colombians here to corroborate what I am showing on my blog.

Well, if we are going to need such a deep evaluation, Apex Predator X would have to basically write a large blog detailing the entire verse on that regard, which doesn't seem too realistic for such minor profiles, so I wouldn't oppose their removal for those reasons, unless he's actually willing to do that.

Well, if we are going to need such a deep evaluation, Apex Predator X would have to basically write a large blog detailing the entire verse on that regard, which doesn't seem too realistic for such minor profiles, so I wouldn't oppose their removal for those reasons, unless he's actually willing to do that.
So it needs to be a separate/new verse in its own?

Last edited:
How about something like this?

*Do not create profiles for deities and other figures from religions with a significant quantity of modern day followers. This includes those described in Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam. Featuring these types of profiles is certain to upset large groups of people.

*In addition, even dead religions, ones with an incredibly small amount of current followers, such as the Aesir faith, and ones for which the followers are agnostic, such as Shintoism, frequently contain myths and interpretations that are radically different and contradictory to each other, which makes it near impossible to pattern coherent information into statistical profile page information. As such, we only make exceptions for mythologies that are based on specific fictional works separate from any mainstream religion, such as Journey to the West and the Shanmeh, that can provide reasonably high coherence and accuracy for our purposes, and lessen the offense to religious believers.
So about this...

This seems fine

Anyways, regarding what Apex Predator X brought up, assuming those are original, they can remain, others can also remain as well is they are stated to be reintepretations of the respective myth or so.
All the other myths are reinterpretations from the Author.

For example in the story of El Guango there appears a giant red monster that the usual myth doesnt have.

Or the crossovers between myths like La Tunda meeting la Bruja or La Llorona making an aparition in the Mandinga story.

But think about it, saying that a book is little known because it is not in another language is not correct. It is also like saying that the American book Vampires, Zombies and Werewolves is not important just because it is not translated into Spanish or other language.
I disagree with this notion. We can very well not make pages for other languages that don't have any english translation, because we're an english wiki. How are we as non-spanish speaking staff supposed to evaluate whatever you put in there?

We have other language versions of VSBW, go make a spanish one and add it there, majority of the wiki there would be from a Spanish background and thus are properly equipped to deal with it.

In general I will 110% disagree with adding these profiles when 5 staff members at most are even equipped to COMPREHEND it.

Last edited:
@Ant that's missing the factor of contradictive canon and shifting interpretations

I mean.....plenty of Japanese translated things have been accepted....and I'm sure there has to be more people who speak Spanish on the wiki than Japanese. Like I really don't see the problem of getting something translated.

I disagree with this notion. We can very well not make pages for other languages that don't have any english translation, because we're an english wiki. How are we as non-spanish speaking staff supposed to evaluate whatever you put in there?

We have other language versions of VSBW, go make a spanish one and add it there, majority of the wiki there would be from a Spanish background and thus are properly equipped to deal with it.

In general I will 110% disagree with adding these profiles when 5 staff members at most are even equipped to COMPREHEND it.
I'm pretty sure there are more spanish speakers in this wiki than you think.

So can you explain to me how you have verses from other parts of the world, which do not have official translations here on the wiki?

Touhou is one of them.

Yeah, we never cared about the language avaiable for something to be indexable. Otherwise we may as well remove plenty of non-northamerican verses (Spoilers, this includes even some tier 0 verses) out of not having an "official" translation to English, and even then we give priority to the original language for indexing, so this is flawed already to begin with.

Plus you don't need that many staff members over an issue that is quite simple to evaluate for a single series.

Last edited:
If you are willing to translate all of it in English, go for it.

We have actually rejected verses which don't even have a fan translation, so

Wow, Zark, what you're saying is, sorry for being rude, plain stupid. I myself can read that book since I'm also a native Spanish speaker, so arguing as if no one on this site can verify the information on it is simply wrong. We HAVE Japanese verses without any English translation on the wiki, so your example falls flat when you take those into account.

@Ant that's missing the factor of contradictive canon and shifting interpretations
What do you mean? I think that I included mentions of that.

Feel free to improve the draft text if you wish.

I would organize the original text and the translation with tabbers, anyways, you should also add some notes afterwards showing which abilities may come from what's being mentioned, or at least detail those in the respective profiles.

Back