• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia Verse Review: Overall Speed Review

Yea at this point we need a discussion rule

"Maybe there should be a discussion rule about Aoyama's laser. Or maybe a note on the verse page to explain why Aoyama having a Lightspeed Laser isn't happening. This discussion has been brought up for years, ever since Thirteen stated that her Black Hole Quirk also sucks in light when sucking in Aoyama's laser.

I'd like to point out that other projectiles are comparable to Aoyama's laser speed. Lightspeed tape and acid confirmed?

Aoyama's laser cannot be lightspeed. These characters have shown feats and struggled with speeds vastly below even Lightning Speed. Actually they're blitzed by lightning, while characters like Mina are shown to dodge Aoyama's Laser in the Sports Festival. And characters like Nine, Chimera, and Slice have been show to react to his Laser after it was fired at them but before it reached them. Nine would be FTL in fact, despite his natural lightning attack being impossible for them to dodge.

But note: Aoyama's laser doesn't fit the requirements needed to be lightspeed. As being reflected by a supernatural method doesn't really mean much, and just being reflective by a natural method isn't enough to be considered lightspeed. If they said his laser was made of photons that'd be different. Or that it moved at lightspeed.

If it was lightspeed it'd be an outlier, as they clearly aren't that fast. Though it doesn't meet the requirements of this wiki anyway."

btw, the post above is someone who already debunked the naval laser not my words

And for the Star and Stripes laser you first need to make a thread for it to be accepted as light speed, but that is currently on hold

SuperStar

"Blog post"

"Third - Aoyama's laser is "intangible" and cannot be interacted with by normal means = Number 3"

I have already specified the problem with lightspeed acid and lightspeed tape.

If they launched their attacks "offscreen" in both the anime and manga versions of the story.

Just by seeing that they were about to hit Mirio at the same time is that enough to prove that they launched their attacks at the same time, or that their attacks traveled at the same speed ?

I don't think so.

"Third - Aoyama's laser is "intangible" and cannot be interacted with by normal means = Number 5"

I also specified the problem with Nine's lightning.

Does a character's attack speed and reaction speed have to be equal or something ?

Just because Nine's best attack feat is his natural lightning feat, does that mean he can't react to something that moves faster than that ?

I also explained how Midoriya and Bakugo were unable to avoid Nine's lightning at the time.

By the way, let's remember the moment in the movie "Two Heroes" when while Midoriya was fighting Nine, he suddenly compared him to the likes of Weakened All For One.

Well, more likely because he had an aura of fear around him similar to that of Weakened All For One....... But still.

Disagree w the Aoyama stuff for reasons already said, but iirc the Star and Stripe beam is already going to be accepted at lightspeed

I think we do probably need a discussion rule on Aoyama's laser.

Seriously, this again?

First off Aoyama's Laser breaks the requirements with his Navel Saber, which is impossible for a real laser to do. He's making his laser stay in mid air and form a saber shape. It's bending into a point at the tip and isn't moving, since he's using it as a saber/blade. At no point is his laser ever once stated to be lightspeed. This is supernatural light, which doesn't follow the properties of real light. Aoyama's laser needs actual feats/statements of moving at lightspeed.

AFO easily dodged Aoyama's Navel Laser. Or do you not see him using Air Cannon to push himself out of the laser's way? Mina dodges Aoyama's laser and other projectiles are shown to match its speed. Nine is confused on how someone can dodge lightning, yet his own companions can casually dodge light speed lasers and he blocks it easily?

Star and Stripe's lasers don't have enough proof to be lightspeed, they don't have anti-feats but that is irrelevant. They don't have enough proof in the first place.

Please read the laser/light beam dodging feats page.

"Furthermore, there are a few criteria which show a beam is NOT real light:
  • It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)
Please note that the opposite of these criteria do not prove a beam is at lightspeed, merely that it could be, should it meet the first list of criteria. Should there be great evidence in favor of the light being real or lightspeed, comparably minor showing against it being real can be overruled."

Moving in a straight line means nothing, being unable to physically interact with it also isn't proof either.

Aoyama's laser is stated to be made of light and it can be reflected by lenses just like light. This isn't enough to prove something is lightspeed. The only thing this proves is that Aoyama's laser has the similar reflective properties to light. But nothing saying it moves at lightspeed.

Further evidence against Navel Laser. Nine's air wall/barrier Quirk is able to block Aoyama's laser. It's stated that Nine's barrier is invisible, the barrier we're seeing is just for the audience and doesn't actually exist. If Aoyama's laser was truly light, than a transparent/invisible barrier wouldn't be able to stop it.

The fact that Izuku says Nine's barrier is invisible means light passes through it. Yet Aoyama's laser cannot pass through it, even though real light can. Which means Aoyama's laser cannot be light, instead it just has some similar properties of light. It's a fictional/supernatural laser beam.

Further evidence against Navel Laser. Nine's air wall/barrier Quirk is able to block Aoyama's laser. It's stated that Nine's barrier is invisible, the barrier we're seeing is just for the audience and doesn't actually exist. If Aoyama's laser was truly light, than a transparent/invisible barrier wouldn't be able to stop it.

The fact that Izuku says Nine's barrier is invisible means light passes through it. Yet Aoyama's laser cannot pass through it, even though real light can. Which means Aoyama's laser cannot be light, instead it just has some similar properties of light. It's a fictional/supernatural laser beam.
Midoriya made this statement because the barrier Nine created with his "Air Wall" Quirk was not yet visible until he hit it.

The barrier itself is said to be composed of compressed air and is capable of blocking physical attacks (Having the properties of a solid material).

If the barrier was indeed completely invisible, then even after being hit by something, the barrier should have remained invisible and not been seen as a circular shield (As will be pointed out his barrier was in fact truly invisible).

As for the transparency of the barrier, I can't really say that it's 100% accurate.

Yes, you can still kind of see things through it, but that doesn't actually mean it's completely transparent like glass.

Meaning that the light itself could not have passed entirely through it.

So, Aoyama's laser was likely to be blocked by the barrier created by the Nine.

I hope this isn't derailing the arguments made above, first off I would like to say that as much as I would like it the navel just can't be considered light speed there would be too many inconsistencies.
however i don't see how the lasers from the jets aren't light speed there is so much evidence that its a light based laser, why is it only mha that needs irrefutable proof for something to be accepted if it has been denied thoroughly I suppose there is nothing we can do. that doesn't mean the characters would have light speed reactions I mean they both didn't actually full react to the lasers on time anyway it would be around sub rel+ or something

now for the part that I think would be derailing (if it is I apologize, just tell me and ignore this) but since I don't think it deserves to own thread for now, I just wanted to bring it up seeing that there are some staff and veterans here, about the lady Nagant bullet speed is there a reason we still haven't used momentum(not kinetic energy) to calculate the speed of this bullet I mean the bullet was moving so fast a Deku with high hypersonic/massively hypersonic reaction speed couldn't react to it even WITH danger-sense I mean that alone should prove that is far faster than what we have calc it by
again forgive me if I'm derailing just wanted some thoughts on this

Seriously, this again?

First off Aoyama's Laser breaks the requirements with his Navel Saber, which is impossible for a real laser to do. He's making his laser stay in mid air and form a saber shape. It's bending into a point at the tip and isn't moving, since he's using it as a saber/blade. At no point is his laser ever once stated to be lightspeed. This is supernatural light, which doesn't follow the properties of real light. Aoyama's laser needs actual feats/statements of moving at lightspeed.

AFO easily dodged Aoyama's Navel Laser. Or do you not see him using Air Cannon to push himself out of the laser's way? Mina dodges Aoyama's laser and other projectiles are shown to match its speed. Nine is confused on how someone can dodge lightning, yet his own companions can casually dodge light speed lasers and he blocks it easily?

Star and Stripe's lasers don't have enough proof to be lightspeed, they don't have anti-feats but that is irrelevant. They don't have enough proof in the first place.

Please read the laser/light beam dodging feats page.

"Furthermore, there are a few criteria which show a beam is NOT real light:
  • It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)
Please note that the opposite of these criteria do not prove a beam is at lightspeed, merely that it could be, should it meet the first list of criteria. Should there be great evidence in favor of the light being real or lightspeed, comparably minor showing against it being real can be overruled."

Moving in a straight line means nothing, being unable to physically interact with it also isn't proof either.

Aoyama's laser is stated to be made of light and it can be reflected by lenses just like light. This isn't enough to prove something is lightspeed. The only thing this proves is that Aoyama's laser has the similar reflective properties to light. But nothing saying it moves at lightspeed.

It is actually the last statement that convinced me. If the laser was light, it should have issues going through Nine's barrier unless we are shown Nine blocking all light in the same scene which didn't happen. So regular light passes through but Aoyama's laser is unable to pass through.

Back