• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia Scaling Issues

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
There are some scaling problems with some of the profiles for My Hero Academia which is based on poor reasoning.

Most of it is derived from this feat which puts Power Loader as City Block level.

This feat itself is debatable as we don't see feat onscreen, we don't know how much attacks it took, how long it took, or even if it was an attack at all and that it wasn't the result of some equipment Power Loader might have. It's practically too ambiguous to use for Power Loader himself, let alone anyone else.

On top of that, Shouta Aizawa is scaled to the feat which inconsistently puts him at City Block level. Aizawa has no feats on his own that put him close to City Block level, and has no offensive Quirk or explosives which can replicate that kind of feat Power Loader is supposedly capable of.

The only reason he's scaled to Power Loader is either because they're both pro-heroes, or both teachers. Neither of which is justification for scaling his AP to match Power Loaders feat.

This then leads to putting Himiko Toga and Ochako Uraraka at inconsistent levels as a result of Toga fighting Aizawa and Uraraka fighting Toga. Quirkless Deku is rightly put at Wall level, but both Toga and Uraraka are put as City Block level based on this scaling? It's just not reasonable.

Summary

• Power Loader's feat / calc is extremely ambiguous.
  • Aizawa has no reasonable reason for scaling to Power Loader.
  • Toga's and Ochaco's ratings are both inconsistent as a result of this scaling; they're far closer to Wall level physically than they are City Block level.

Ochako defeated a villain with gigantification quirk, and that villain can effortlessly destroy buildings.

Gigantification Quirk
Ochako

And Aizawa should be far stronger than both Uraraka and Tsuyu.

Uraraka's feat comes from using her Quirk to lift rubble into the air and then releasing it to drop onto the villains. If that counts as Attack Potency then does dropping a boulder off of the edge of a cliff to land on someone count as AP too?

Tsuyu's feat is better, but even then wouldn't that only make her Large Building level?

You saw Aizawa should be far stronger than them, but aside from him being a pro-hero / teacher, is there a solid reason for that? After all, Todoroki isn't a pro-hero either but through his Quirk he is much more powerful than Aizawa.

@Damage

There's also the fact that Aizawa wasn't utterly killed by Noumu, who is comparable to All Might.

Bakugou can at least make All Might wince slightly as well as tank the force of his own explosions, while Full Cowl Izuku can punch Bakugou hard enough to send him down the street.

Uraraka repeatedly tanked explosions from Bakugou and only went down because of exhaustion.

Not being killed isn't exactly a good feat here... Their 'fight' consisted of Noumu dominating Aizawa and effortlessly restraining him / breaking his arms. That's not enough of a showing to give you an accurate rating from that.

I recall Uraraka being blown back countless times from Bakugo's explosions; and Bakugo made sure never to use his strongest explosion in her direction. He wasn't fighting to kill or seriously injure her and was fighting defensively for most of round. That isn't good enough by itself either.

EDIT: That also doesn't account for the issue with her AP post-internship which my post is about mostly.

@Damage

Yes, he was dominated, but he wasn't so weak that Noumu would snap him like a twig.

He also should be no weaker than Sir Nighteye, who knocked out someone who took a punch from 8% Full Cowl Deku.

> Yes, he was dominated, but he wasn't so weak that Noumu would snap him like a twig.

He was literally so weak that his arm was snapped like a twig.

And which person are you referring to that Nighteye knocked out?

The scaling for Mirio is also extremely wonky; knocking out Class 1-A is impressive but not Multi-City Block Level+. There is also no reason given for Mirio to be comparable to Enji Todoroki.

@Damage

Deku kicks Mimic. Knocked unconscious by Nighteye.

As for Mirio, I honestly agree that the scaling is wonky at best. He easily incapacitated most of Class 1-A, but that would only place him on the higher end of 8-B.

The only thing I can imagine corroborating his rating is the fact that he's considered the closest to being considered the #1 Hero, even amongst other Pro Heroes, but that also has to do with personality and rescue efforts in addition to fighting.

Agree with Reppuzan, also, Mirio being stronger than Deku 20% does not make sense to me, considering the feats.

I don't see Deku kicking Mimic directly there; he destroys the place where Mimic is hiding in order to expose him to Aizawa and Nighteye does knock out Mimic but using that as basis for Aizawa's rating... That's some bad scaling.

The #1 Hero statement isn't meant to be taken in terms of strength / attack potency. The top heroes are generally super powerful but their Quirks don't tend to give them destructive power like All Might and Endeavour.

@Damage

The amount of rock concealing him wasn't that thick. He would have had to have at least received some of the force from Deku's kick.

Enough to justify giving him a city block level durability? And therefore giving Nighteye and Aizawa city block level attack potency? There has to be more to justify it.

Aizawa is also never directly compared to Nighteye anyway, so saying 'he should be comparable' is the same bad reasoning as scaling Aizawa to Power Loader.

@Damage

You're not getting the point.

Both Aizawa and Nighteye are Pro Heroes who regularly subdue super-strong criminals without the aid of a Quirk that strengthens them.

If they were that weak, then there wouldn't be any point.

Even nameless fodder villains have High 8-C feats.

Well Nighteye can hurt Monster Chisaki with his heavy projectiles, so I'm not sure if Aizawa should scale, considering that Nighteye one-shotted Rappa, who was beating Fatgum, a Pro Hero.

@Therefir

Physically they're both Quirkless heroes in peak form. I don't see why Aizawa would be inferior.

Because not all pro-heroes are equal physically? Nameless fodder villains have High 8-C feats doesn't mean every pro-hero is capable of the same thing. And even if Aizawa and Nighteye do deserve that rating, I don't think Toga or Uraraka scale to them.

Stabbing Aizawa with a knife isn't really enough to scale. Piercing weapons are typically regarded as being more effective against a persons durability than most other forms of physical attacks.

And besides, this is part of the inconsistency of the scaling that I have a problem with. Even if Toga is somehow City Block level from being able to stab Aizawa (who I don't believe scales to City Block level), Uraraka wouldn't scale to Toga anyway. All she did in her fight against Toga was knock her to the ground with a martial arts move; no damage inflicted.

Also, Uraraka going from Wall level to City Block level just from some martial arts training is kind of ridiculous.

The piercing effect isn't enough to justify the tier gap.

The point with Uraraka is that she can take on a Pro Villain without being utterly overpowered. Throwing someone with enough force to make them feel it means that she'should in Tpga'so weight class.

Damage3245 said:
Also, Uraraka going from Wall level to City Block level just from some martial arts training is kind of ridiculous.
That is exactly what I think.

It's still inconsistent. I can potentially buy Aizawa being city block level if there was more justification for it, but I can't see Uraraka being City Block level based on what is essentially scaling to Nighteye.

8% Deku = Nighteye = Aizawa = Toga = Uraraka is what I'm being presented with and its bad scaling.

@Damage

There's still the fact that she repeatedly tanked explosions from Bakugou (even if she was blown backward) and is strong enough to wrestle with pro villains.

Not every pro-villain is City Block level either; the only ones we've seen Uraraka tangle with was Toga and Chisaki after Chisaki was already knocked out.

Tanking explosions doesn't mean much; Bakugo can control the strength of his explosions and I don't see anything suggesting that the explosions she 'tanked' were City Block level.

@Damage

Bakugou wasn't going easy on her. Literally everyone in the arena was screaming at him because he wasn't going easy on her. The fact that she kept on going even after taking so many explosions to the face is why he acknowledged Uraraka as a worthy opponent.

You're ignoring ridiculous amounts of context.

Going easy as in he never fought to seriously injure her; if he wanted to do that then he could have fired his more powerful explosions at her.

Where is the evidence that the explosions he used on her is City Block level? Because his explosions can vary wildly in strength.

EDIT: Reppuzan, this calc is for the biggest explosion Bakugo does during the match and it is Large Building level at best. All of the other explosions he used on Uraraka were smaller.

@Damage

Literally everyone in the arena is saying that he wasn't going easy on her. He plays to win in situations like these. To assume that he'd be giving anything less is ridiculously out of character for him.

That explosion was done without extreme effort. It's illogical to assume that it would be any weaker than his other explosions when those same explosions made All Might wince.

Whether that huge explosion is weaker or not is irrelevant; it's still not the same explosions he was hitting Uraraka with. If his biggest explosion in that match is calced to be Large Building level, and the explosions she's 'tanking' are much smaller than that, how is her durability City Block level?

Here is when Bakugo is using his large-scale explosions (like the one in the calc) against All Might. All Might isn't exactly wincing; and these explosions are much larger than the ones he used on Uraraka.

If the argument is that Uraraka deserves her rating because of her tanking Bakugo's explosions then you need to look at the explosions he's actually hitting her with and see if we can estimate how powerful they are instead of relying on his other, much more powerful attacks as an estimate. We know that Bakugo can vary his explosion size.

@Damage

You're hell bent on ignoring the context providing and thinking that he was somehow going easy on her. He's not. He outright says that. Aizawa says it too.

To assume that he's using weaker explosions than what he used to vaporize the rocks would be to assume that Bakugou is acting ridiculously out of character and all of the in-series statements.

Uraraka takes a hit.

Takes another one.

Takes another one.

Outright stated by Aizawa to be going all out.

Doing everything in his power to win.

They said he was 'going easy on her' because he wasn't ending the match quickly and it was dragging out. They are wrong on that side of it because he was fighting carefully and he didn't want to leave himself open to her attack, that doesn't mean he was using full-power explosions. His explosions vary in strength.

There is a clear size difference in the explosions he uses to destroy the rocks, and the explosions he uses on Uraraka.

> To assume that he's using weaker explosions than what he used to vaporize the rocks would be to assume that Bakugou is acting ridiculously out of character and all of the in-series statements.

To assume otherwise is to ignore the fact that he literally used a more powerful explosion.

You are misinterpreting the crowd being wrong on Bakugo holding back to mean he is using full-power explosions on Uraraka which just isn't the case unless you can prove otherwise?

EDIT: Reppuzan, you've posted a few scans of Uraraka being hit with explosions like I have; can any of them be calced?

> Using the visual area of effect of the explosion as a means of saying "only these attacks are this strong" is a blatant abuse of the AoE Fallacy.

Larger explosion destroying the rubble has multiple characters surprised / shocked. It's outright portrayed as being more powerful.

How is a fallacy to point out that the smaller explosions Bakugo creates are weaker than the huge explosions he creates?

All Might saying 'ow' when being repeatedly blasted in the face doesn't mean much. We can see that no damage was caused.

> More powerful explosion, sure, but more powerful to the point that it was justify a multiple tier drop? Hardly.

Yes, I believe so. The explosions you post Uraraka as tanking are nowhere near powerful as Bakugo's city-block level AP. You're ignoring that Bakugo can vary the strength of his explosions and are illogically assuming he must be using his most powerful attacks and that Uraraka is tanking the full brunt of those attacks.

Even the calc for the biggest explosion Bakugo used in the tournament was large building level, and he never hit Uraraka with it.

There is not enough evidence to put Uraraka at city block level durability; just because she took the brunt of a bunch of weak explosions from Bakugo during their tournament fight. If she was city block level, there should be more supported evidence or calcs for it.

EDIT: Otherwise why isn't every single student given the same durability as Uraraka? How are they all somehow much, much less durable than Uraraka?

@Damage

You're also ignoring the fact that even his smaller explosions are strong enough to make All Might say ow even though it was doing little physical damage.

The fact that Uraraka is far weaker than All Might but isn't blasted to pieces disproves your entire argument that she's several tiers weaker.

> You're also ignoring the fact that even his smaller explosions are strong enough to make All Might say ow even though it was doing little physical damage.

So All Might shows a reaction to being blasted in the face at point-blank range? So what? I bet most people would even if they had the durability to easily tank it which All Might does.

> The fact that Uraraka is far weaker than All Might but isn't blasted to pieces disproves your entire argument that she's several tiers weaker.

It doesn't; because Bakugo's small explosions aren't that strong. Making All Might say 'Ow' isn't enough justification to launch Uraraka from Wall level to City Block level. She is constantly knocked back by Bakugo's explosions and he doesn't hit her with the larger explosion that has been calced to be Large Building level.

It's too inconsistent; which is the whole reason I made this thread. You need to look at Bakugo's attacks versus Uraraka and compare them to his significantly more powerful attacks and realize there is a difference between them.

@Damage

The fact that he even feels it despite being magnitudes stronger than Uraraka shows that Bakugou's smaller explosions aren't that much weaker than his other explosions. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Could the smaller explosions be weaker? Perhaps. But not enough to require a tier gap.

There are high and low ends for tiering.

> The fact that he even feels it despite being magnitudes stronger than Uraraka shows that Bakugou's smaller explosions aren't that much weaker than his other explosions. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

It's hard to understand because it literally makes no sense. All Might shows a reaction to being hit in the face; so what? Just because he tank it doesn't mean he doesn't feel any amount of pain or the heat. You're basing this whole thing on All Might saying 'Ow'? Since when was showing any reaction to an attack (let alone having taken no damage from it too) justification for rating an attack higher than what it should be?

> Could the smaller explosions be weaker? Perhaps. But not enough to require a tier gap.

Yes, they can be; because Bakugo wasn't hitting Uraraka with City Block level explosions and you haven't offered any evidence that he did aside from 'All Might said "Ow" when hit in the face with an explosion.'

You're also ignoring the fact that Bakugo hits All Might with significantly larger explosions and he doesn't say "Ow" to those either. Using All Might's one reaction to one of Bakugo's attacks is cherrypicking.

One of the reasons Bakugo is City Block level is this: Completely vaporized multiple boulders during his fight with Ochaco Uraraka.

This is not an explosion that Uraraka has been proven to tank. It's more powerful than the ones he used on her.

Is there enough evidence to justify putting Uraraka's durability several tiers from Wall level? Based on what I've seen so far, there isn't.

@Matthew, why? Which point of his do you agree with?

Back