• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Aren’t these character statements made by the author though? Statements like this are clearly written to be informative to the viewers so I don’t think they could be discredited by being made by a character
I'm not discrediting them, just saying they are written with respect to the characters. So you won't hear explicit powerscaling terms from character statements.

With speed, at most you will only get km/h, SoS, Lightspeed, and sometimes comparisons to bullets, planes and jets, and the occasional "he is as fast as lightning" without any actual elaboration.

It's rare to get explicit mach numbers from a character just observing another character's speed let alone hear stuff like hypersonic or whatever.

Yeah. Snipe's bullets are probably supersonic, for one.
All Might punching over 300 times in the manga only happened for like 2 pages and one spread.
There's Torino outspeeding his own voice(text).

Even the feats calculated as supersonic or so in the wiki would still be subsonic even when highly lowballed, like Shoto's ice and Iida's interception of Stain. Or even Iida just going FTE with Recipro Burst or Shiggy going FTE would all be subsonic at face value.
Who exactly reacted to Snipe’s bullets?

That translates to how long? Even then you literally need to calc AM’s punches to argue supersonic speed.

That can be argued to be stylistic choice as like no one besides him does that as far as I can tell.

Subsonic doesn’t equal fte. To go fte there are more things at play than just speed or are we arguing house flies are fte or planes aren’t subsonic?

Who exactly reacted to Snipe’s bullets?
I don't know.

That translates to how long? Even then you literally need to calc AM’s punches to argue supersonic speed.
You don't need to make a calculation blog to estimate something is probably supersonic.

That can be argued to be stylistic choice as like no one besides him does that as far as I can tell.
Shiggy did it too.

Subsonic doesn’t equal fte. To go fte there are more things at play than just speed or are we arguing house flies are fte or planes aren’t subsonic?
Comparing any of these feats I mentioned to the movements of house flies or a plane is actually a pretty comical joke.
Especially speaking as someone who was pushing for the wiki to remove the FTE rating on the subsonic table in the Speed page of the wiki (I thought it was removed but whatever).

FTE is typically about angular displacement. It can be incredibly fast or surprisingly slow as long as it's moving away from where one is looking (and expects it to move) at certain rates.
Edit: To be clear, angular displacement accounts for size, distance, and perspective. It's the point of angular displacement.

And in my opinion, estimating that something is supersonic should be properly substantiated. I feel like people often take liberties, like making up timeframes.

Last edited:
I don't know.

You don't need to make a calculation blog to estimate something is probably supersonic.

Shiggy did it too.

Comparing any of these feats I mentioned to the movements of house flies or a plane is actually a pretty comical joke.
Especially speaking as someone who was pushing for the wiki to remove the FTE rating on the subsonic table in the Speed page of the wiki (I thought it was removed but whatever).
So not a supersonic feat

You kind of do unless you have a statement backing it up or it blatantly makes a mach cone or something.

I don’t recall Tomura doing that in season 1 or 2.

There is still zero proof any of those things are supersonic at face value.

Thankfully, MHA’s speed of sound statement problem isn’t as bad as JJKs. In JJK, Maki straight up said she would need to prepare in advance if Naoya ran at her at Mach 3 speeds

Still, there's a realistic chance that Hori will pull a Gege and state a specific Mach value for a top tier character's speed.

If that ever happens... we will have to rebuild the speed scaling from scratch.
Lets hope not

A shockwave isn’t always an indicator of FTS speed
It's literally caused whenever something goes faster than sound.

Unless you want to argue that All Might's superpower is just him generating giant gusts of wind at random, the only plausible explanation is him moving faster than the speed of sound.

So not a supersonic feat
I didn't know you were the type to act obtuse intentionally.

You kind of do unless you have a statement backing it up or it blatantly makes a mach cone or something.
Not really.

I don’t recall Tomura doing that in season 1 or 2.
Better reread the USJ arc then.

There is still zero proof any of those things are supersonic at face value.
If we're still talking about the same feats here based on the progress of the discussion, I literally never said they were supersonic.

My brother in Allah are you okay?

It's literally caused whenever something goes faster than sound.
In our interpretation sure, but narratively wise that isn’t how it’s treated.
Unless you want to argue that All Might's superpower is just him generating giant gusts of wind at random, the only plausible explanation is him moving faster than the speed of sound.
I do think that, the shockwaves he generates would make him tens of thousands of times FTS with weaker percentages. Ofc we don’t go by that knowledge here but just because he creates these big booms doesn’t mean it’s done via being FTS.
In verse these attacks are never said to be done by FTS speeds, only called shockwaves. We have confirmation that, narrative wise, a character who scales to or above these shockwaves have only now reached FTS speeds. This means our interpretation of these shockwaves shown previously are wrong.

I do think that, the shockwaves he generates would make him tens of thousands of times FTS with weaker percentages.
I understand the sentiment. OFA accumulates power. If All Might only rely on the power aspect of the quirk for his attacks and is creating shockwaves, he has to be moving fast enough to create those shockwaves. There's not been a single mention or hint that OFA has the ability to manipulate air or something akin to that. Therefore, it is in fact his power and speed creating what we see of shockwaves.

However, generally speaking, the fastest punches are around 20 m/s and the fastest runs are around 12 m/ (IRL comparison), and air resistance from movements is emphasized in the verse. Almost a 1:2 differential. Let's say, hypothetically, that a strong All Might was approaching double-digit Mach speeds (not even using 100%), I'd buy his punches creating devastating effects and shockwaves with a minimum of twice the speed, and with 100%+. Doesn't seem like a plothole to me.

Last edited:
I understand the sentiment. OFA accumulates power. If All Might only rely on the power aspect of the quirk for his attacks and is creating shockwaves, he has to be moving fast enough to create those shockwaves. There's not been a single mention or hint that OFA has the ability to manipulate air or something akin to that. Therefore, it is in fact his power and speed creating what we see of shockwaves.

However, generally speaking, the fastest punches are around 20 m/s and the fastest runs are around 12 m/ (IRL comparison), and air resistance from movements is emphasized in the verse. Almost a 1:2 differential. Let's say, hypothetically, that a strong All Might was approaching double-digit Mach speeds (not even using 100%), I'd buy his punches creating devastating effects and shockwaves with a minimum of twice the speed, and with 100%+. Doesn't seem like a plothole to me.
Mirko can punch as hard as All Might, if not harder. Why isn’t she creating several km sized shockwaves?

Mirko can punch as hard as All Might, if not harder. Why isn’t she creating several km sized shockwaves?
In what fanfiction can Mirko punch as hard as All Might?

I thought people got a wake up call with Iida that fan scaling aren't accurate.

All Might >>>> everyone is the hierarchy established by Hori ignoring scaling on here.

Mirko, especially as someone with enhanced stats just like All Might, is "condemned" by this statement even more.

People can argue all kinds of wiggle room for characters with hax or elemental abilities (although they shouldn't) but trying to put someone with superstrength above All Might gets hard countered by all the author statements we have gotten about All Might so far.

However, even if Mirko was supposedly All Might level, she doesn't have to generate large shockwaves considering neither Deku nor All Might himself generate large shockwaves with every blow. Hori picks and chooses when to do that.

The Iida stuff should be a lesson. Don't take all these scaling stuff too seriously. Go by what the author says. And understand that sometimes fan interpretations vary greatly from author intention and general canon.

Frankly, Mirko or any character bar Shigaraki & Deku being on par with or surpassing All Might is pure vsbattle fanfiction. Don't confuse it with manga canon.

Still, there's a realistic chance that Hori will pull a Gege and state a specific Mach value for a top tier character's speed.

If that ever happens... we will have to rebuild the speed scaling from scratch.
Like if Edgeshot upgraded his attack speed to Mach 2 and surprised Shigaraki?

In our interpretation sure, but narratively wise that isn’t how it’s treated.
There's nothing in the narrative that says generating a shock wave doesn't indicate that you're faster than sound.

The definition of a shock wave literally says it is caused by something faster than sound, or at least, something that generates massive amounts of air pressure, which is only possible if they break the sound barrier.

At this point, you'd be arguing against the dictionary itself.

In what fanfiction can Mirko punch as hard as All Might?
Sensing a lot of hostility already. Just a normal discussion bro.

1. All Might, in series, is shown relative to the USJ Nomu.
2. Usj Nomu< High End Nomu
3. Mirko.
I thought people got a wake up call with Iida that fan scaling aren't accurate.
Iida scaling, in series, isn’t contradicted by anything. Narratively no one is confirmed faster than sound so our fan made calcs being inaccurate doesn’t suggest the scaling chain supported by the series is wrong. There was no “wake up call”
All Might >>>> everyone is the hierarchy established by Hori ignoring scaling on here.
Not at all. At least not when he introduced the HEN.
Mirko, especially as someone with enhanced stats just like All Might, is "condemned" by this statement even more.
?
People can argue all kinds of wiggle room for characters with hax or elemental abilities (although they shouldn't) but trying to put someone with superstrength above All Might gets hard countered by all the author statements we have gotten about All Might so far.
HEN.
However, even if Mirko was supposedly All Might level, she doesn't have to generate large shockwaves considering neither Deku nor All Might himself generate large shockwaves with every blow. Hori picks and chooses when to do that.
This is just wrong lol. Ofa, even at its weakest level has always been shown capable of emitting large shockwaves of some degree. There was even an entire mini arc extrapolating this idea and the importance of environmental impact.
No one without ofa has this level of shock generation, on par with it or not. Even if they surpass the weaker variations which have shown that level of power, they don’t. And they never will, bc they’re not OFA.
The Iida stuff should be a lesson. Don't take all these scaling stuff too seriously. Go by what the author says. And understand that sometimes fan interpretations vary greatly from author intention and general canon.
The author literally says everyone scale to Am now.
Frankly, Mirko or any character bar Shigaraki & Deku being on par with or surpassing All Might is pure vsbattle fanfiction. Don't confuse it with manga canon.
Nope.

There's nothing in the narrative that says generating a shock wave doesn't indicate that you're faster than sound.
The in series scaling has lead to characters slower than sound making shockwaves. That’s what we have been shown recently.
The definition of a shock wave literally says it is caused by something faster than sound, or at least, something that generates massive amounts of air pressure, which is only possible if they break the sound barrier.
“Which is only possible by breaking the sounf barrier”
In short, in real life you can only generate air pressures by moving at a certain speed. Again, this isn’t real life, it’s fiction.
Unless there’s specific reasons to believe these shockwaves are FTS due to breaking the sound barrier and not classic big strong= big boom, then we shouldn’t place everyone who creates a one at that speed, because again, author lack of understanding and inconsistency within the own series. Shockwaves are just pressure waves, everything create pressure waves. But they only become visible when you move them with enough force, or speed of sound.
If the series have showcased that they don’t have a proper understanding of why or how that works, then the definition doesn’t matter as that’s not how its treated in series.
If Iida has been shown contesting with people who can make “shockwaves” yet is believed to be slower than sound in series, then the idea that these are automatically FTS is flawed as the narrative itself doesn’t even believe that.
At this point, you'd be arguing against the dictionary itself.
If that’s really how you interpret my argument then cool, not much I can do to make you read it right.

Just to sum what I’ve been arguing.

**Iida= other characters who can create shockwaves from being super strong. Not because they are fast enough to do so, but just super strong.

**Iida is the first character to create one out of sheer speed and stated to be faster than sound. He has been shown relative to other characters who scale above “FTS” speeds via shockwaves in a much weaker state. Yet he’s only said to be transonic level with a much greater speed boost, and a means of reducing air drag significantly. Even before this statement he was shown generating shockwaves.

Main point, shockwaves shouldn’t automatically be considered FTS without statements or context, especially when its just done by punching very hard and not an indicator of speed.

Mirko isn't remotely close to All Might. We're discussing real in-verse information and depictions. Not our own scaling-chains.
I understand what you're arguing, but it lacks any real or compelling substantiation.

Last edited:
It's not like "our own scaling-chains" invalidates the scaling chains themselves when it's based on feats Horikoshi illustrated in his own manga.

The fact of the matter is, High Ends were intended to be the strongest of the Nomus and Mirko is capable of harming them.
That demonstrably proves she's All Might tier, even if she's not exactly as strong as All Might down to the last decimal PSI of his strikes.

I do think even Weakened All Might is still stronger than most "All Might level characters" as is the USJ Nomu being more durable than the High Ends due to the Shock Absorption Quirk.
Nevertheless, the gap between them isn't really as large as most people think it is. That's why these characters are regarded as All Might level in the first place.

All Might has been portrayed as this larger-than-life character that the impression this character imposes on others, specifically the audience, makes them think he is far above all else. That doesn't mean Weakened All Might is astronomically stronger than everyone else, but it does show that this is among the few instances where Horikoshi's writing peaked via the creation of All Might's character.

Like heck, I already feel like a broken record pointing this out, but Endeavor with his regular flames was able to block All For One's supercharged Air Cannon back in Camino Raid. At the very least, the manga itself has already teased Endeavor to be capable of competing at All Might's level feat-wise.
Then there's Shoto to consider, whom Endeavor believes can surpass All Might just because Shoto in his full potential can use the Hellflame Quirk without drawbacks due to the Himura Ice Quirk. Likewise, Endeavor also believed Toya could reach All Might's level. Narratively, the evidences are all there.

To be perfectly fair however, final arcs in battle shounen typically inflates characters' power levels, which is one of the reasons why the Shigaraki fight turned out the way it did. Plus he did kill Bakugo and basically one-shot every character when he actually tried hitting them on his own.
I have more issues with the writing other than this aspect.

Last edited:
Yeah there is this trick scenario where if All Might and Endeavor switched opponents, they would've been able to win easier than their original fights.
Endeavor would be fighting a dumb Nomu who only runs, Hulk-jumps, and punches. He doesn't need to overpower it, he could simply outmaneuver the USJ Nomu and incinerate it.
Meanwhile, while All Might would be fighting a smarter and more lethal opponent that has more Quirks, it would take far less than 300 punches for him to defeat it because its defense is weaker.

Anyways, I really just wanna move on and discuss stuff like Nagant's Sub Relativistic feat. I've been showboating this feat but it has a number of circumstantial issues.

It's not like "our own scaling-chains" invalidates the scaling chains themselves when it's based on feats Horikoshi illustrated in his own manga.

The fact of the matter is, High Ends were intended to be the strongest of the Nomus and Mirko is capable of harming them.
That demonstrably proves she's All Might tier, even if she's not exactly as strong as All Might down to the last decimal PSI of his strikes.
This is nonsense. It's established throughout the series that All Might was the top of the top, untouchable until he got severely weakened.

This is typical VsBattle delusion and is why you're now surprised Iida is around the speed of sound (and it is considered insane). It's defacto "our scaling chain".

Last edited:
This is nonsense. It's established throughout the series that All Might was the top of the top, untouchable until he got severely weakened.

This is typical VsBattle delusion and is why you're now surprised Iiida is around the speed of sound (and it is considered insane). It's defacto "our scaling chain".
I'm simply recounting events that happened in the manga. Cold, hard facts don't change even when you cry nonsense with no viable counterargument whatsoever.

What's truly delusional is trying to deny canonical manga information.

Back