• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Oh hey, I just realized something.

Now that we know Tomura's Quirk is just one half of Overhaul, that means his Quirk is not decomposition and is just deconstruction. Do you think the reason why Star and Stripe's rule to protect herself failed, was because she said her body won't decay? Tomura's Quirk wasn't rotting her body away, it was dissembling it.

Both Star and Tomura are unaware of the true nature of his Quirk, as such she can only go off the name of his Quirk being listed as Decay.

Considering the specific nature of New Order, I can see this being a possibility.
I mean, while this is true, we also know that the Name of a thing is also down to what you view/identify as to some degree. In ShigAFO's words, it's her understanding of reality having to match the reality of the Sense of Self. So if he was truly Shiggy, and then thusly believed it to be Decay, her power should work regardless.

Which seems to me to then be that the problem isn't what she named it, but STILL being that the being is ShigAFO, who holds two DIFFERENT/MELDING understandings of what the Quirk is (Decay Vs Overhaul).

I fully expect that this will lead to some upgrades because animations typically tends to be very generous when it's not low-budget slideshows, but if the anime ends up backing me on the sizes involved...

Chapter is officially out now.

Something I didn't notice the first time I read the scans is that All For One dodged upwards to avoid being caught in between the two Flashfire Fists. I was wondering why more emphasis wasn't given to him tanking the flames, and now I see that he didn't tank them.

Chapter is officially out now.

Something I didn't notice the first time I read the scans is that All For One dodged upwards to avoid being caught in between the two Flashfire Fists. I was wondering why more emphasis wasn't given to him tanking the flames, and now I see that he didn't tank them.
I wonder if hyper regen is still active.

I was wondering, does gear shift allow for Instant acceleration on to top speed. And if there is any ability name for that. Acceleration is far more important in a fight than top speed.

(Season 6 vs Memories)
Quite a welcome change, makes me hopeful for S7's art direction.
mha-s6-vs-memories-v0-2dtda0xlpexc1.jpeg

Personally I never really got the gripes some people have of the anime having blue sky backgrounds. It's a long battle that takes place during the day.
Doesn't look good. Any art's biggest strength comes from the understanding of color. Which color to use where. For example, Stain's speech. Even in real life directors go out of their way to shoot scenes at specific times if they are using natural lighting to make it look as good as possible. The Revenant for example. Sky is a very important part of cinematography for outdoor scenes. For MHA, we are watching a war, not a adventure (even though that is the genre where you have to make the background look the best)

And it's not like MHA has never done it. The speech annoyed so many people because it didn't look in place. We see then pull this off great with Muscular in the same season.

Also it's not because it's a blue sky, but because it's the same blue sky. Sky doesn't stay the same shade throughout the day, it changes, the sun's position, clouds, wind and even the ground affects it.

Take this shot for example
GBcJEzYaAAAMfB6

looks great, because the clouds have shading and the brightness makes sense at this altitude. You can see the wind currents affecting the clouds.
But then you have Deku vs Shigaraki with a flat two note gradient and clouds with no shading.

Doesn't look good. Any art's biggest strength comes from the understanding of color. Which color to use where. For example, Stain's speech. Even in real life directors go out of their way to shoot scenes at specific times if they are using natural lighting to make it look as good as possible. The Revenant for example. Sky is a very important part of cinematography for outdoor scenes. For MHA, we are watching a war, not a adventure (even though that is the genre where you have to make the background look the best)

And it's not like MHA has never done it. The speech annoyed so many people because it didn't look in place. We see then pull this off great with Muscular in the same season.

Also it's not because it's a blue sky, but because it's the same blue sky. Sky doesn't stay the same shade throughout the day, it changes, the sun's position, clouds, wind and even the ground affects it.

Take this shot for example
GBcJEzYaAAAMfB6

looks great, because the clouds have shading and the brightness makes sense at this altitude. You can see the wind currents affecting the clouds.
But then you have Deku vs Shigaraki with a flat two note gradient and clouds with no shading.
Honestly not that important IMO as the backgrounds aren’t the focus, I like how colorful MHA gets to be with the blue skies

A lot of series with darker colors that mute everything is kinda lame to me

Honestly not that important IMO as the backgrounds aren’t the focus, I like how colorful MHA gets to be with the blue skies

A lot of series with darker colors that mute everything is kinda lame to me
You can be vibrant and still have a dark tone, like I said, the revenant. It's a matter of playing with shades. For example, more clouds with a whiter sky would look great in the Shigaraki shot as it compliments his hair. That's the whole point of art direction. The background and compositing has it's own team, it is very important

The backgrounds aren't the focus, but they will take away your focus if they are bad. It's like vfx. If it's good you don't notice it, if its bad you will notice it even if you don't want to. Back in Early chapters MHA didn't do much with backgrounds. Now it has some of the best looking backgrounds rivaling even OPM in some panels.

Doesn't look good. Any art's biggest strength comes from the understanding of color. Which color to use where. For example, Stain's speech. Even in real life directors go out of their way to shoot scenes at specific times if they are using natural lighting to make it look as good as possible. The Revenant for example. Sky is a very important part of cinematography for outdoor scenes.

This is true. A lot of effort goes into making the sky reflect/match the tone of the scene to more organically convey what it wants to tell to the audience.
For MHA, we are watching a war, not a adventure (even though that is the genre where you have to make the background look the best)
However, I find this wildly incorrect. The whole point of crimes being done in such bright settings (which is Manga accurate), is to illustrate how BOLD the villains are becoming. It’s a bright, sunny day, with hints of altruism in the air, and yet the villains are here. It also serves to perfectly juxtapose that very belief. Villains don’t attack whenever the sky just happens to suit their fancy. A lot of care is placed into pointing out exactly that in early MHA, with the Hero V Villain Exercise, and USJ. The villains barge in and warp/pervade the light of the day. So in my opinion by asking for “better cinematography” the people asking miss the point of its cinematography.
This is true. A good example is the Dark Hero Arc. But you can also use it to paint everything else in the same brush. You can say the sky literally represents Deku’s hope, (hence why it’s always blue), which is then reborn (hence why the sky becomes a phoenix gold at the dusk of the day in his Fate-Breaking speech to All Might), to when he literally loses hope and tries to fight on his own (making the sky a raining, colorless tone), before becoming blue again when Deku finally regains what makes him, him. And it’d be just as accurate (likely moreso given the Dark Hero Arc literally goes blue sky once Deku comes home, and the rain gets worse as Deku gets worse), as “sky is dark because the villains are eviillll and herrreee, bleh.”
This I totally understand and support, though. You can still achieve the ideas of what the bright blue sky is being used for with different shades of bright blue. Them constantly reusing it does become visually unappealing after a while.

Last edited:
leaked anime images show Star and Stripe’s lasers bending and curving.

Oh wait, you guys actually care about these lasers being light speed? Lol
I don’t care. I always knew the series was never going to be lightspeed.

At least, not by using lasers. Because lasers in fiction are never going to be trustworthy. Lasers killed my grandma.

The art for season 7 I'm seeing looks to be leagues above what the last 2 seasons were doing, we may be back im genuinely excited

“But Deku and Overhaul could react to Mirio’s quantum tunnelling, which is lightspeed at minimum!🤓

- Actual powerscaler statement from somewhere.

Pretty sure that's after Shigaraki uses his quirks to reflect and scatter then. Also, anime original content won't take precedence over the manga so it doesn't matter. Also also, vsbattle wiki doesn't count them as light speed anyways so it doesn't matter. I'll continue counting them as light speed though like most people outside this wiki

Back