• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Which once again highlights the main issue: anything a Quirkless person could do with support tech, a Quirked person could do the same and likely better. Hence why only this suit exists and the Twitter argument that it ruins anything about the verse is kinda dumb.

Only people that will ever get a suit like this will be AM and Deku if he asked for one in his current state as the literal savior of the world.

Which once again highlights the main issue: anything a Quirkless person could do with support tech, a Quirked person could do the same and likely better. Hence why only this suit exists and the Twitter argument that it ruins anything about the verse is kinda dumb.

Only people that will ever get a suit like this will be AM and Deku if he asked for one in his current state as the literal savior of the world.
I remember writing a fan fiction a few years back about MHA in America where the main hero has a quirk that can only be utilized by using a suit. Essentially think of Iron man/Godzilla with a reactor like thing inside their body that can draw out a lot of energy but can only be safely utilized by having a suit contain and draw out the power. Using the power without the suit leads to a massive increase in abilities but the more energy he draws out, the faster he'll reach a critical mass state and basically nuke himself and everything around him. Think burning Godzilla.

As a writer, I love seeing how people use certain ideas I had in the past for a particular series and see how they implemented them lol

A bit off topic, but the topic of a suit in MHA always makes me think of that original story I had for MHA in America. Even then, I thought full body suits like that wouldn't really be wide spread and if they were used, should be used to help strengthen individuals with quirks. Quirks can be very specific sometimes and it wouldnt take much for a multi billion dollar suit to get absolutely ruined by someone that just so happens to have an ability that can trash it. All Might is holding is own against AFO and his goal is quite literally only to stall and we see how easily AFO could take that suit down if it wasn't for All Mights experience fighting against AFO.

Airjet is another MHA hero who is also decked out in a full powersuit that includes a jetpack and canons on his arms. Plus this guy was introduced back in chapter 1. If Hori ever wants to focus on power-suits while also bringing back that chapter 1 nostalgia, he could bring him in in a more important role.

I remember Melissa and Mei also made Deku a powersuit in TUM but it was too rigid. But considering the original idea for Midoriya had him in a suit similar to Snipe's Positive suit, it could also be another idea Hori bring back from the oneshots.

A bunch of heroes in support suits would be cool, but let’s not forget that over reliance on tech = lacking in other areas. Building up personal skills to then use with suits would probably make way better heroes.
Tbh they couldve done something like that with Deku instead of giving him a quirk.

He couldve used his knowledge of heroes and their quirks to design support items around them and countering certain abilities. Like if Deku didnt make it to the hero class but was instead but in the support course where he'd have access to a variety of tools and equipment to further expand his list of utilities it really couldve capitalized on the idea of him becoming a hero without a quirk and him using his extensive knowledge of heroes to overcome a lot of obstacles.

Like Deku already made it to finals of the tournament without using his abilities. It wouldve been interesting having him as the tech savvy underdog with an obsession of heroes and their quirks to become one of the top heroes and students by using the ideas of what made him interesting at the start. Not to say he isn't interesting now, of course, I love cracked out Deku as much as the next person but it would've been an interesting change of pace for the story and seeing him beat villain and heroes with nothing but his support items and intelligence sounds so fun

Tbh they couldve done something like that with Deku instead of giving him a quirk.

He couldve used his knowledge of heroes and their quirks to design support items around them and countering certain abilities. Like if Deku didnt make it to the hero class but was instead but in the support course where he'd have access to a variety of tools and equipment to further expand his list of utilities it really couldve capitalized on the idea of him becoming a hero without a quirk and him using his extensive knowledge of heroes to overcome a lot of obstacles.

Like Deku already made it to finals of the tournament without using his abilities. It wouldve been interesting having him as the tech savvy underdog with an obsession of heroes and their quirks to become one of the top heroes and students by using the ideas of what made him interesting at the start. Not to say he isn't interesting now, of course, I love cracked out Deku as much as the next person but it would've been an interesting change of pace for the story and seeing him beat villain and heroes with nothing but his support items and intelligence sounds so fun
I mean that would also completely remove a huge chunk of plot and massive story beats would need to either be completely changed or not exist. You’d essentially not want MHA but a completely different series, which isn’t bad, but I wouldn’t call it “something they could’ve done.”

Like, all of OFA becomes pointless if Deku never gets the Quirk and Shigaraki will proceed to cook the rest of the verse of Deku isn’t there with a proper amount of tech to defeat him. Not to mention the whole Dark Hero arc doesn’t happen, and the series becomes a lot more “underdog” than “learning the power you have and, when at the top, how to bring others up along with you.”

I feel like Deku getting a quirk was established early enough that's weird to imagine him being quirkless as the true premise of the story. I will never understand thinking the story would be better if he was quirkless

not against fan fictions but a lot of people do legitimately complain about this

I mean that would also completely remove a huge chunk of plot and massive story beats would need to either be completely changed or not exist. You’d essentially not want MHA but a completely different series, which isn’t bad, but I wouldn’t call it “something they could’ve done.”

Like, all of OFA becomes pointless if Deku never gets the Quirk and Shigaraki will proceed to cook the rest of the verse of Deku isn’t there with a proper amount of tech to defeat him. Not to mention the whole Dark Hero arc doesn’t happen, and the series becomes a lot more “underdog” than “learning the power you have and, when at the top, how to bring others up along with you.”
Im aware, It would change a lot of the current story but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I personally just like the idea of Deku being someone that uses his knowledge of heroes, quirks, and his intelligence to undermine the abilities of certain heroes and villains. At least, more so than Deku getting OFA.

That being said, the core ideas of MHA could stay the same, they would just have to be used differently. It would still be MHA to me.

Horikoshi couldve gone down that path if he wanted, I have faith in his writing abilities.

I feel like Deku getting a quirk was established early enough that's weird to imagine him being quirkless as the true premise of the story. I will never understand thinking the story would be better if he was quirkless

not against fan fictions but a lot of people do legitimately complain about this
Because a lot of his accomplishments during the first chapters were done without him using a quirk. Him understanding he cant use his quirk to its fullest yet was interesting, but him overcoming obstacles with his quick thinking and not quirk was even moreso. I just wish they capitalized on that aspect a bit more imo

I can understand that. A lot of people just want him to remain quirkless because he was initially quirkless without thinking of the premise of the story

Im aware, It would change a lot of the current story but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I personally just like the idea of Deku being someone that uses his knowledge of heroes, quirks, and his intelligence to undermine the abilities of certain heroes and villains. At least, more so than Deku getting OFA.

That being said, the core ideas of MHA could stay the same, they would just have to be used differently. It would still be MHA to me.

Horikoshi couldve gone down that path if he wanted, I have faith in his writing abilities.
Because a lot of his accomplishments during the first chapters were done without him using a quirk. Him understanding he cant use his quirk to its fullest yet was interesting, but him overcoming obstacles with his quick thinking and not quirk was even moreso. I just wish they capitalized on that aspect a bit more imo
His accomplishments in the beginning, however, were meaningless BECAUSE he didn’t have a Quirk to back them up.

He attempted to save Bakugo, but would have simply died. He never would have gotten into the hero course if he didn’t get OFA. His first fight vs Bakugo, he would have gotten stomped on because the people he’s fighting are not dumb. They don’t go easy on him just cause he’s fighting Quirkless, and Bakugo is just as smart as him if not smarter when it comes to fighting.In the USJ? Quirkless Deku didn’t do anything there.

The best of Quirkless Deku is from the sports festival, a place where it’s a bunch of fresh students doing mostly competitive if somewhat damaging activities. A safe school setting where people can stop things.

Quirkless Deku gets annihilated by Stain, he never even dreams of touching Muscular (who would blitz him), Overhaul is lmao, Wolfram eviscerates him/uses any tech he has against him, he gets stomped by the now trained JT students… and anything past that is damn near impossible.

The only way to compensate for the MASSIVE power cliffing that swiftly becomes present is by giving him a bunch of tech… but that ignores so much of the personal development Deku goes through when he DOES beat those challenges with his own bare hands, knowing the weight of All Might’s legacy, the legacy of bearing the power of the Number One, puts on him.

If he just is a bootleg Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark? What development would be even have? How would his relationship with Bakugo ever get fixed without the connecting piece of All Might declaring Deku his successor? Or his relationship with Shigaraki? The twisted parallels they have become meaningless. AFO wouldn’t even care for Deku.

The series would be unrecognizable with a fully Quirkless Deku, and while I can see the merit of wanting an Anime Iron Man/Batman type story, I think the unique experience provided by what Deku is makes him far better.

Not to mention: tech can’t go plus ultra.

His accomplishments in the beginning, however, were meaningless BECAUSE he didn’t have a Quirk to back them up.

He attempted to save Bakugo, but would have simply died. He never would have gotten into the hero course if he didn’t get OFA. His first fight vs Bakugo, he would have gotten stomped on because the people he’s fighting are not dumb. They don’t go easy on him just cause he’s fighting Quirkless, and Bakugo is just as smart as him if not smarter when it comes to fighting.In the USJ? Quirkless Deku didn’t do anything there.

The best of Quirkless Deku is from the sports festival, a place where it’s a bunch of fresh students doing mostly competitive if somewhat damaging activities. A safe school setting where people can stop things.

Quirkless Deku gets annihilated by Stain, he never even dreams of touching Muscular (who would blitz him), Overhaul is lmao, Wolfram eviscerates him/uses any tech he has against him, he gets stomped by the now trained JT students… and anything past that is damn near impossible.

The only way to compensate for the MASSIVE power cliffing that swiftly becomes present is by giving him a bunch of tech… but that ignores so much of the personal development Deku goes through when he DOES beat those challenges with his own bare hands, knowing the weight of All Might’s legacy, the legacy of bearing the power of the Number One, puts on him.

If he just is a bootleg Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark? What development would be even have? How would his relationship with Bakugo ever get fixed without the connecting piece of All Might declaring Deku his successor? Or his relationship with Shigaraki? The twisted parallels they have become meaningless. AFO wouldn’t even care for Deku.

The series would be unrecognizable with a fully Quirkless Deku, and while I can see the merit of wanting an Anime Iron Man/Batman type story, I think the unique experience provided by what Deku is makes him far better.

Not to mention: tech can’t go plus ultra.
It wouldn't be unrecognizable from what the story is at its core but it would be a different story, yeah. Deku doesn't have to remain quirkless permanently because I believe a lot of people simply think he got his quirk a little TOO quickly but I understand why it was required for certain events to take place the way they did in the current story. Putting a fully quirkless deku in current series wouldn't work, obviously, thats why it takes a bit of creative writing to make certain things work.

The dynamic with Bakugo could change but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be worse than what we currently have, but his development would be a bit different.

Having a quirkless Deku that used his knowledge of heroes and they're special attacks to mimic somethings with support items just to scratch and claw his way up to the hero course through dedication, courage, and skill would make for an interesting dynamic with how Bakugo viewed him. Dekus first fight in the manga against Bakugo he didn't really use his quirk until the very end, Deku was doing a pretty good job because of how well he knew Bakugo, and it wouldn't take many changes to have it end the same way with Deku winning.

You don't need to make Deku just an Ironman/Batman clone by having tech be a counter against every other quirk, that wouldn't really be enjoyable and wouldn't make much sense for certain villains he fights. I just think that having a quirkless Deku work his way up to the hero course and then receiving OFA would've been more interesting for a lot of people, myself included.

I personally like the idea of a Deku that worked his way up to the hero course with tech and skill, finally getting his quirk and developing that too. It would also make certain fights pretty interesting. Him switching between tech and powers, or combining them during a fight. Course, giving Deku THAT many different options would be pretty difficult to take account of. Like end of series Naruto and Sasuke.

But dats just my opinion

This is completely irrelevant though.

Most heroes will never use Support Gear unrelated to their Quirk, which means that the gear that they have on deck is limited to what they can do with their Quirk. Sure, someone with a Quirk could 'theoretically' have all the Support Gear on the planet and have it unrelated to their Quirk, but when has that ever happened?

The entire point of Support Gear is that it's designed to support the heroes Quirk, bolstering their fighting capability. It is in the name. If they wield gear that isn't relevant or tied to their Quirk, it's not Support Gear, it's just gear, and potential baggage that they just don't need.

Heroism is not a very high bar to even set for a Quirkless person. All you need is discipline, a plan, and smarts to achieve it.

Or a gun, if you're just really lazy.

Tbh, we should be using higher psi on some of these shock wave feats.

If the edge of the shockwave is obliterating buildings or something crazier the PSI should be far higher than 20 bars.

Inverse Square law on the Heroes Rising Detroit Smash. What value are we looking at.
Probably can’t do that. Usually we can only do this for Omni direction shockwaves but this shockwave is so weird. It flies up as a cylinder and then explodes, which byitself isn’t traditional. And once it actually explodes the shockwave moves more outwards than omnidirectional. Might have to ask Rusky abt this tho.

Yeah, heroism is not impossible for a Quirkless person in MHA provided that they have the discipline of a hero and the resources and skills to obtain and use support items.
Though this comes with the caveat that technology in MHA has its limits, and a support item-based Quirkless hero would be limited to their resources at hand. Meaning that instances like Armored All Might, or Team Star and Stripe, among other things, are exceptional in-verse. In order to be at that level, a character must be a Batman-esque in most aspects.

If we're going strictly by how the universe works, it's been noted that support items are indeed, functions just like how it's described, to support the user. Many heroes have fumbled because they rely too much on their support items.

Early translations out, seems like “that” students quirk was indeed just Aoyama’s. Guess we gotta wait for any info on others.

That said, I now see what the Anima birds did. They went to the car, got the laser (which seems to be the engine? And two of the wheels), then because there was an issue with his personal power source, they connected themselves to an electric grid. Then one of the birds flies into a slot on the engine and connects to the laser, creating the beam.

So I guess normally, AM can call the laser over like his other gear so he can connect to it and create a laser that would be on par with what they’re doing right now (which I assume is gonna do some hefty damage), but since his power source has a problem (likely from the damage he’s taken), he had to use it in a way that gave it the required charge to hurt AFO.

Pretty badass, I can’t lie. If he was fighting someone more on his level or wasn’t so damaged, he’d be able to use the laser as just another equipment.

Edit: Also I just noticed AM has TWO cannons on both his arms, he just hasn’t used or named the one on his right yet that has a bigger nozzle.

Last edited:
Tentacole + Froppy, just means the tentacles and suction cups.

AFO talking a lot of garbage for someone who's still falling for this plan and not just leaving. All Might just jams his Shoto flame thrower into AFO's mouth. Also that mouth Quirk combo thing is almost as disgusting as Shiggy's finger growth.

Kind of confused on how AFO ended up in front of All Might. Rivet Stab is connected to his body, I'm going to assume his left side, which we can't see in that panel, was still connected to them during that time? But if AFO is actually just capable of blitzing All Might like that, than he's even stupider than I thought.

Regardless, I never thought we'd get this kind of banter from AFO and All Might.

We suddenly switch back to Aoyama and Kunieda, the jailbreaker's Quirk looks a lot worse than what it actually is... Or maybe it's the other way around? Doubt any of those heroes are actually dead, they'll probably go back to normal once Kunieda falls unconscious.

Nothing is grosser than what we've had to witness with Shigaraki, so it's tame in comparison. Nice to see Toru again, honestly her and Aoyama make for an excellent team up. Rather impressive that she snuck up behind him, actually she looks like she's coming from above... Did she jump up there?

All Might's "Laser" had to connect to an external power grid or station in order to fire.

Chapter 400 will be in two weeks, we have a planned break it seems.

All Might is still missing some abilities, I imagine Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight is going to be very bloody stupid. He better not self-destruct, but I doubt Melissa would make him something that's meant to kill himself. If it does explode, I imagine it has some kind of eject function so he isn't in the suit when it does.

All in all? Rather excellent chapter, and I'm glad we did get to see Aoyama and Kunieda again. I'm sure at this point having another long drawn out fight would only be padding, since they don't have any real effect on the other battles. But I was worried we wouldn't see anything of them at all.

Also, did All Might just blast himself with that laser as well? Watch this be how he charges up his actual big attack.

I do feel like Horikoshi is planning something for Chapter 400, though maybe we're just reading too far into this.

It's possible to use the Inverse Square Law, all you need is the area of the "shockwave", the area of the object (Which is the clouds), and the energy.

It doesn't have to be a certain shape like a sphere or anything omni-directional like that. The issue is the results get massively inflated in this case, since the irregular shape of the shockwave's punch is far smaller than the object itself. The difference between them is really huge.

It landed around 57 Teratons when I checked, which is vastly stronger than the Intercontinental Punch and is an obvious outlier. Which is why I didn't put it in the blog.

Tentacole + Froppy, just means the tentacles and suction cups.

AFO talking a lot of garbage for someone who's still falling for this plan and not just leaving. All Might just jams his Shoto flame thrower into AFO's mouth. Also that mouth Quirk combo thing is almost as disgusting as Shiggy's finger growth.

Kind of confused on how AFO ended up in front of All Might. Rivet Stab is connected to his body, I'm going to assume his left side, which we can't see in that panel, was still connected to them during that time? But if AFO is actually just capable of blitzing All Might like that, than he's even stupider than I thought.

Regardless, I never thought we'd get this kind of banter from AFO and All Might.

We suddenly switch back to Aoyama and Kunieda, the jailbreaker's Quirk looks a lot worse than what it actually is... Or maybe it's the other way around? Doubt any of those heroes are actually dead, they'll probably go back to normal once Kunieda falls unconscious.

Nothing is grosser than what we've had to witness with Shigaraki, so it's tame in comparison. Nice to see Toru again, honestly her and Aoyama make for an excellent team up. Rather impressive that she snuck up behind him, actually she looks like she's coming from above... Did she jump up there?

All Might's "Laser" had to connect to an external power grid or station in order to fire.

Chapter 400 will be in two weeks, we have a planned break it seems.

All Might is still missing some abilities, I imagine Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight is going to be very bloody stupid. He better not self-destruct, but I doubt Melissa would make him something that's meant to kill himself. If it does explode, I imagine it has some kind of eject function so he isn't in the suit when it does.

All in all? Rather excellent chapter, and I'm glad we did get to see Aoyama and Kunieda again. I'm sure at this point having another long drawn out fight would only be padding, since they don't have any real effect on the other battles. But I was worried we wouldn't see anything of them at all.

Also, did All Might just blast himself with that laser as well? Watch this be how he charges up his actual big attack.

I do feel like Horikoshi is planning something for Chapter 400, though maybe we're just reading too far into this.
I think AFO is just faster right now so no matter how much All Might runs, he can always catch up easily. Plus in some of those panels like when he comes out of a wall, he is clearly playing around with All Might.

Also this laser is absolutely light speed and I will be accepting no other reasoning. The chapter title is literally a title/technical description for a “AC current driven lamp,” or a lamp/light source that gets its power from alternating current. Tech be funky and lends credence to the SnS jet lasers being LS even though no one scales anyway
I've always viewed MHA lasers as Lightspeed. People just try to wave it away cause they don't want any MHA character to be that fast.

First with Aoyama, people claim Mina dodged his laser when that never happened in the manga. Those scenes were just anime filler. In the manga no one has ever even dodged it after it was fired. Of course the anime and movies take liberties in how they portray Navel Laser but if Horikoshi came out and made it Lightspeed in the manga, I wouldn't be surprised since it doesn't have the same inconsistencies in the manga.

Star and Stripes jets too. There is no reason to make laser technology if the lasers aren't Lightspeed. And frankly most authors only include lasers as weapons since lasers are Lightspeed.

Same with Flect Turn's lasers. These things were literally mounted to walls yet people tried to make it about Flect's quirk as if he has molecular manipulation or something. His quirk has nothing to do with lasers. He can just reflect stuff and has support tech to help with that. The supper tech just happens to come with mirrors that can reflect light. Flect wasn't making any lasers. He just has laser shooting machines and reflects the lasers with the mirrors on his support tech. There is no reason the lasers shouldn't be Lightspeed.

First with Aoyama, people claim Mina dodged his laser when that never happened in the manga. Those scenes were just anime filler. In the manga no one has ever even dodged it after it was fired. Of course the anime and movies take liberties in how they portray Navel Laser but if Horikoshi came out and made it Lightspeed in the manga, I wouldn't be surprised since it doesn't have the same inconsistencies in the manga.

Star and Stripes jets too. There is no reason to make laser technology if the lasers aren't Lightspeed. And frankly most authors only include lasers as weapons since lasers are Lightspeed.

Same with Flect Turn's lasers. These things were literally mounted to walls yet people tried to make it about Flect's quirk as if he has molecular manipulation or something. His quirk has nothing to do with lasers. He can just reflect stuff and has support tech to help with that. The supper tech just happens to come with mirrors that can reflect light.
Aoyama: Incorrect, she's shown dodging it in the manga and you have no proof that says she dodged it before he fired it. The anime shows it clearly, though we don't need to use it, the manga fight is enough. Aoyama's laser is shown in the manga to move at the same speed as Mina's Acid and Sero's tape.

Edit: Before you say it, Aoyama's laser is a constant beam. The acid and tape would get slower due to air resistance as they don't have a constant push. Which is why they're lagging behind in the panel afterward. Also Mirio straight up reacts to it as well. His face changes before the laser hits anything.

Star and Stripe: They're most likely lightspeed, we just lack reasonable proof.

Flect Turn: They're literally never called lasers, and his "mirrors" (And clothes in general) are covered in a energy film like oil that reverses reflection. As stated in the actual guidebook for the movie. I've said this so many times that it isn't funny at this point. Energy beams don't equal lasers, and they aren't called lasers at any point.

Why can't they just be plasma weapons?

These so called mirror's are literally shown to reverse the reflection of Izuku's attack and help with propelling Flect's punches using that energy. He doesn't just have random mirrors on his person that don't do anything else. They're shown to reflect other things outside of his energy weapon.

The same "mirrors", but smaller, are also shown to make him float as well.

Last edited:
It's possible to use the Inverse Square Law, all you need is the area of the "shockwave", the area of the object (Which is the clouds), and the energy.

It doesn't have to be a certain shape like a sphere or anything omni-directional like that. The issue is the results get massively inflated in this case, since the irregular shape of the shockwave's punch is far smaller than the object itself. The difference between them is really huge.

It landed around 57 Teratons when I checked, which is vastly stronger than the Intercontinental Punch and is an obvious outlier. Which is why I didn't put it in the blog.
Cries in Armored All Might vs Iron Man slipping away

just make it a cylinder and get like a teratons, none of us care, also wasn’t the danger of the ICP the heat?
Aoyama: Incorrect, she's shown dodging it in the manga and you have no proof that says she dodged it before he fired it. The anime shows it clearly, though we don't need to use it, the manga fight is enough. Aoyama's laser is shown in the manga to move at the same speed as Mina's Acid and Sero's tape.
Aoyama’s laser is stated to be light (by thirteen in the final exams, I have no idea if that was in the manga), so I just viewed it as something made of light that doesn’t move at light speed, it anime, it don’t need to make sense
Star and Stripe: They're most likely lightspeed, we just lack reasonable proof.
The USA in our time already has lightspeed weaponry, so I feel it’s an insult to say they aren’t Lightspeed
Flect Turn: They're literally never called lasers, and his "mirrors" (And clothes in general) are covered in a energy film like oil that reverses reflection. As stated in the actual guidebook for the movie. I've said this so many times that it isn't funny at this point. Energy beams don't equal lasers, and they aren't called lasers at any point.

Why can't they just be plasma weapons?
me like plasma weaponry (besides doesn’t plasma have an average velocity that could still be used for upgrades?)

We already accept that Aoyama's laser is like light. Though Heroes Rising contest this with Nine's invisible air wall being able to block his laser.

Plasma does not have a set speed, it's just a state of matter, it all depends on how it's fired. Both a railgun and a pistol fire solid projectiles, but have vastly different speeds and methods of firing their projectile. Basically without more information, we cannot say anything.

Back