• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Seems like they might have more than 2 speed calcs but only 2 was listed on the site.

Idk what their supporters are doing tbh, maybe they all got tired arguing in the forum and forgot fixing up the verse page.
Too busy polishing up the Physiology Page....that they only link for a handful of character...

But apparently iida was slower than sound making these shockwaves, so does that mean “these shockwaves” can be made while slower than sound?
The issue could also be the narrator like the with Machia in the first war. At the end of the day we haven't actually had any confirmation of Iida's speed. Just a guy being surprised at him breaking the sound barrier.

But it might also be that these characters are meant to be subsonic to supersonic at best. Remember Vigilantes and Six assuming Koichi was using sound to evade him when we all thought both were moving at supersonic. Or when Six thought Koichi couldn't dodge a supersonic bullet.

The characters may appear way faster than they are actually meant to be. Six especially had crazy feats where everything was frozen to him yet he was making a big deal about the speed of sound which just feels off.

Like if time literally looks frozen to you, people are statues, and bullets are moving in slow motion to you, how is the speed of sound even a big deal to you.

I guess it's just how the authors interpret speed.

Like if time literally looks frozen to you, people are statues, and bullets are moving in slow motion to you, how is the speed of sound even a big deal to you.

This makes me remember of an issue of Flash where Barry being faster than light was impressive, like... are you fr

This makes me remember of an issue of Flash where Barry being faster than light was impressive, like... are you fr
That's nothing, there was a comic where he saved a city full of people from an exploding nuke. The narration said he was just under Light speed but when you actually calc it, he has to be running at trillions of time FTL to even perform said feat 💀

An expected end to the Todoroki plotline. This is definitely one of the chapters that will be better in the Anime when there’s music and voice acting. While admittedly I wasn’t the most amazed by this chapter, I think it’s an alright ending. Shoto already beat Dabi in a fight, at this point Dabi was just a bomb and Shoto had to stop it. The whole family coming together to stop Dabi’s raging fire is symbolic about how they’re all coming to him to cool him down

I think people are overly harsh on this chapter and it’s just that Horikoshi’s bad scheduling and many breaks is making the impact of this conflict seem weird. This is definitely a chapter that will be better when the whole arc is done and we reread.

This chapter isn't necessarily bad at least looking at it from an emotional stand point. This chapter is really one of the most hype chapter in mha if not the most hype chapter currently. It actually has been switching from top 1 and 2 from US twitter. It would really be bad if this chapter didn't get any attention given that it lot of people have actually showed interest in dropping the series once the todo-novela.

While i don't get the hype of this chapter, it was a suitable conclusion for the todoroki's and shoto really did perform an impressive feat in this chapter.

I have been seeing people on twitter and reddit scaling shoto dura to 10 megaton and scaling dabi explosion to some kind of japan nuke.

Strength gonna go down to city level at best, maybe cityblock level. Hightiers speed gonna be supersonic for the absolute fastest.

Ida going super sonic goes visually so hard but man what a way to **** the verse by pulling a JJK lmao
😭

Last edited:
Considering that MHA has about 50 separate feats that range from supersonic to way way higher, the verse will be fine. But damn do these writers seriously not understand just how fast the feats they put in really are.

Todoroki’s ice wall from the SPORTS FESTIVAL is already supersonic. Hell, Iida kicking Stain’s sword when it was inches from Todoroki is HYPERsonic.

Idk what went on with JJK, but unless Horikoshi provides a severely solid explanation for Iida being “a jet fighter” now and not before, I’m calling death of the author.

MF has Deku accidentally blitzing Overhaul’s perception and his OWN SHOCKWAVES with a kick, but all of a sudden speed of sound is the barrier for the verse. Nagant’s rifle is shooting out shots that can blitz people from a kilometer away and Deku blitzed an even faster version of those bullets, but what, is he subsonic to Horikoshi?

Laughable statement imo

Truth to be told, I wouldn't be surprised if speed of sound was a barrier for like... 90% of the students.
I mean, sure, but for Iida? The guy who was keeping up with Near High Ends? The guy faster than Bakugo and Todoroki, who are equal to Deku’s percentages? Like, if Iida is only now supersonic, that means the NHE’s are only supersonic, which means All Might is only supersonic.

Like ok, I get you hate all the students being even somewhat strong or fast Damage, but even you have to realize how factually cap it is for Iida to be that slow.

But damn do these writers seriously not understand just how fast the feats they put in really are.
I mean tbf, they're authors not physicists. Speed of sound is probably the only technical term for speed that they know outside of lightspeed. Jargon like Hypersonic or Relavistic might as well be alien concept to them

Might be a bit late to the party but how we treat speed, and how most authors treat speed are usually very different so you're going to come across situations like this.

A great example is Dragon Ball Super and Dyspo, I think his name is. Bro had a light speed mode, and at this point in the series, they're so far beyond light speed from scaling and feats that people kinda just ignored that.

Jirou intercepted Air Canon although I doubt air canon itself is that fast. It just has range and power, but it might not even be supersonic.

It does seem to act like a shockwave.
Since Hori believes Mach 1 speed to be impressive, I suppose that means that Jirou can blitz half of the verse with her attacks
Though to be fair, Hori considers impressive breaking the sound barrier and moving as quick as a fighter jet.

The fastest fighter jets today move at speeds of Mach 3.

Most of the silly speed statements we have were from NPCs like Jeanist's pilot and Tsukauchi's goons. Considering Tsukauchi's stick up his ass is kinda bigger than his brain, maybe these characters are just kinda daft? /s

Assuming Iida was just moving at Mach 2, it would've taken him like, at least 12 minutes to travel from Ground Zero to Gunga Mountain in a straight line. Meaning Dabi has been burning for that long, and that he's been chasing Endeavor for like at least 9 minutes. It's really funny when you think of it.

Perhaps?
On one hand, it is a fair assumption. We can also base it on the fighter jets in Team Star and Stripe.

On the other hand, Tsukauchi's goon was still faking a fuss about Iida breaking the sound barrier, so we were all inclined to think of the Mach 1.7 or 2 or 3 jets in modern times.
And we know how weird MHA can be with regards to technology, with people using IRL phone models and, more topically, villains like Mustard and Shie Hassaikai using 9-C firearms.
Despite the fact that we see villains and civilians blow up the entire street with support items.

I'd personally just stack the irrefutable speed feats in MHA (not calcs) and chalk these moments up as WIS at best. Like, even if Todoroki's ice aren't supersonic, they'd be at the very least subsonic while absolutely lowballing it.

Since MHA is taking place in the future then the fighter jet they are comparing to Iida should be definitely faster than what we have currently.
Realistically the Star and Stripes jets should be at least hypersonic considering we even have jets capable of hypersonic flight in this day and age.

But the point is that the characters mainly stress speed of sound not hypersonic. They are talking about breaking the sound barrier but not by how much/how fast.

Realistically the Star and Stripes jets should be at least hypersonic considering we even have jets capable of hypersonic flight in this day and age.
Are you sure? I thought the top speeds were around Mach 3-4.
Edit: Ahh, I see that the top recorded speed ever is slightly hypersonic.
Not sure if I'd apply that to the speed of regular Jets flying around. Albeit the MHA verse is somewhat futuristic.

Last edited:
The problem with the sound barrier statements is that breaking it is being treated as a big deal when it's supposed to not be.
A lot of stories suffer from that. Though there are verses who are obviously really not supposed to be as fast as fans think they are, but I don't think MHA belong there.

Can you imagine if when Hawks was first introduced, he was introduced as 'the fastest hero, who can fly at supersonic speeds'?

AFO believed that Hawks wouldn’t be able to dodge Air Cannon from abt 15 meters away
That's why I mentioned range. AFO basically did a double arm air canon with a way larger range than even Kamino.

And it's kinda hard to truly miss since even if Hawks moves at whatever speed he has, from a close range AFO can just slightly readjust his arms in whatever direction Hawks moves to.

Plus Hawks himself got pretty nerfed cause of Dabi.

Are you sure? I thought the top speeds were around Mach 3-4.
Edit: Ahh, I see that the top recorded speed ever is slightly hypersonic.
Not sure if I'd apply that to the speed of regular Jets flying around. Albeit the MHA verse is somewhat futuristic.
Yeah, not only are MHA jets futuristic but one would expect the jets the #1 American hero is riding on to be the best of the best.

Though the plane comparisons that so far Mirko, Hawks, and now Iida have gotten are probably to regular transonic/supersonic jets.

Back