• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Its probably best to give up on Lightspeed MHA and I honestly don't mind it. Cause who really buys it. I honestly don't buy half the verses scaled at Lightspeed (OP, Naruto, BC, etc) cause of the endless amount of anti-feats.

I would rather MHA just stayed at it's current speed rating. The comparisons we have gotten so far in-universe (sound, bullets, planes and jets) put MHA in the supersonic/hypersonic range. Which I think is fine (that's where most verses are anyway despite all the Lightspeed claims).

And despite all the lightning/electrical and light powers in the series, Horikoshi has never actually used terms like lightning speed or Lightspeed. Considering the way authors usually throw around Lightspeed like candy, I feel if Hori intended it, he could just outright write it.
While I get you want a blatant statement that xyz is lightspeed I jus feel that the downplay is disgustingly annoying. Even if they weren’t lightspeed at the very least a laser or lightbeam would above MHS. Anti feats are usually easily debatable, like why bring up things from the beginning of the series to refute current events?

Mind you, when I think about speed portrayal that matches in-universe scaling, I'm usually thinking about stuff like Smallville where despite all the insane speed feats, the character wasn't Lightspeed until 8 seasons later.

Someone like Luffy or Zoro cannot do half the shit Clark was doing in season 1 of Smallville when he was just around the supersonic range. I don't know, maybe it's because these characters don't seem to have the so called superspeed outside fights. Even within fights, they can't statue random fodder unless random marine, Wano, and pirate canon fodder are all suddenly Lightspeed as well.

To me it is not impressive.

At a given speed, even running on water is not an issue since the water is literally frozen solid to you. Why can't supposedly Lightspeed OP characters run on water then? Water is like solid ground if you are that fast.

Ratings say one thing but when I'm reading OP or Naruto/Boruto, I don't feel any Lightspeed.

Just characters saying "I'm Lightspeed" and dodging some random laser attack is the only evidence.

Then getting ridiculous anti-feats later.

Why isn't Gazelle man a statue to Luffy? After all Luffy is Lightspeed while Gazelleman is explicitly said to run at 200km/hr by the author himself.

Why are all the fodder marines and fodder Wano guys not statues to Luffy, Zoro, and co?

Are all these fodder moving at Lightspeed?

Watch even just season 1&2 of Smallville and even characters with enhanced physicals (speed, strength) are statues to Clark. And this Clark was only supersonic to hypersonic at best. He could complete a whole day worth of chores at superspeed, statue the rain, outrun bullets, statue electricity, etc. You are not left questioning how fast the character is.

I just don't get the same "fast" feeling from a lot of these supposedly fast anime characters that are according to these reliable ratings, faster than Clark in season 1 and 2.

And honestly, even in MHA I did not get that, "wow these characters are fast" apart from All Might (USJ, Vigilantes), Six & O'Clock (similar to Clark in Smallville, they use superspeed beyond just running around), and with Deku obviously with Faux 100% and Gear Shift.

Only time I have been impressed by Hawks' speed is in the Team Up Missions where he blitzed another speedster.

Six with Overclock got such good speed portrayal even outside fights that when he got that subsonic anti-feat, no one took it seriously.

When a character is given good speed portrayal no one will be in doubt. But with some manga, not only do the characters not feel fast outside specific moments but the authors also go on and throw in one anti-feat after another.

Last edited:
Someone like Luffy or Zoro cannot do half the shit Clark was doing in season 1 of Smallville when he was just around the supersonic range. I don't know, maybe it's because these characters don't seem to have the so called superspeed outside fights. Even within fights, they can't statue random fodder unless random marine, Wano, and pirate canon fodder are all suddenly Lightspeed as well.
PIS
At a given speed, even running on water is not an issue since the water is literally frozen solid to you. Why can't supposedly Lightspeed OP characters run on water then? Water is like solid ground if you are that fast.
Again, PIS
Ratings say one thing but when I'm reading OP or Naruto/Boruto, I don't feel any Lightspeed.
"Your honor, the vibes are off"
Just characters saying "I'm Lightspeed" and dodging some random laser attack is the only evidence.
Luffy said "wow I can dodge light, light is slow as hell" but he couldn't even react to Kaidou. Also there are the Marco feats, Sanji feats, etc.
Why isn't Gazelle man a statue to Luffy? After all Luffy is Lightspeed while Gazelleman is explicitly said to run at 200km/hr by the author himself.
Travel Speed isn't reaction speed. Also, he could be a statue, we aren't seeing everything from Luffy's perspective.
Why are all the fodder marines and fodder Wano guys not statues to Luffy, Zoro, and co?
Maybe they are, Luffy is dodging all their attacks with no effort.
Watch even just season 1&2 of Smallville and even characters with enhanced physicals (speed, strength) are statues to Clark. And this Clark was only supersonic to hypersonic at best. He could complete a whole day worth of chores at superspeed, statue the rain, outrun bullets, statue electricity, etc. You are not left questioning how fast the character is.
It's almost like some authors portray speed differently.
I just don't get the same "fast" feeling from a lot of these supposedly fast anime characters that are according to these reliable ratings, faster than Clark in season 1 and 2.
"Vibes are off"
And honestly, even in MHA I did not get that, "wow these characters are fast" apart from All Might (USJ, Vigilantes), Six & O'Clock (similar to Clark in Smallville, they use superspeed beyond just running around), and with Deku obviously with Faux 100% and Gear Shift.
That's because of narrative emphasis.
When a character is given good speed portrayal no one will be in doubt. But with some manga, not only do the characters not feel fast outside specific moments but the authors also go on and throw in one anti-feat after another.
This is dumb, it's just the "Guys, Goku doesn't FEEL planetary, he doesn't FEEL lightspeed, remember that time he got hit by a bullet? Superman doesn't LOOK faster than a speeding bullet." type of thing.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this. But towards the end of chapter 384, we get various small bits of Shigaraki and Deku fighting.
Moreover, as seen in panel 13 on someone's phone, the effect of their fight is absolutely insane.

I wonder if there's a way to calculate this as a shockwave or something akin to that?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if someone mentioned this. But towards the end of chapter 384, we get various small bits of Shigaraki and Deku fighting.
Moreover, as seen in panel 13 on someone's phone, the effect of their fight is absolutely insane.

I wonder if there's a way to calculate this as a shockwave or something akin to that?
The phone is impossible since there is nothing we can use for scale.

This shot of their fight is possible, but is very unimpressive.

Using the house near the text bubble on the left, I'm getting 8-B results at the highest and High 8-C at the lowest.

Its probably best to give up on Lightspeed MHA and I honestly don't mind it. Cause who really buys it. I honestly don't buy half the verses scaled at Lightspeed (OP, Naruto, BC, etc) cause of the endless amount of anti-feats.

I would rather MHA just stayed at it's current speed rating. The comparisons we have gotten so far in-universe (sound, bullets, planes and jets) put MHA in the supersonic/hypersonic range. Which I think is fine (that's where most verses are anyway despite all the Lightspeed claims).

And despite all the lightning/electrical and light powers in the series, Horikoshi has never actually used terms like lightning speed or Lightspeed. Considering the way authors usually throw around Lightspeed like candy, I feel if Hori intended it, he could just outright write it.
No one will ever, ever buy MHA touching light speed ever since regular guns were portrayed as some kind of threat.

except Tiktok scalers.

No one will ever, ever buy MHA touching light speed ever since regular guns were portrayed as some kind of threat.
Time to downgrade Endeavor. I know this isn't a normal gun, this is just a joke.

But I do have to ask, when have the speed of bullets from regular guns been seen as a threat to the higher tier characters? Like All Might and Endeavor level stuff.

This is different from bullets hurting them or not, I'm talking about just the speed here.

But I do have to ask, when have the speed of bullets from regular guns been seen as a threat to the higher tier characters? Like All Might and Endeavor level stuff.

This is different from bullets hurting them or not, I'm talking about just the speed here.
I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the main series, but it was mentioned in Vigilante. That there are "even some people who are fast enough for bullets to be no issue". Not a direct quote, but akin to that. I'll see if I find it.

The phone is impossible since there is nothing we can use for scale.

This shot of their fight is possible, but is very unimpressive.

Using the house near the text bubble on the left, I'm getting 8-B results at the highest and High 8-C at the lowest.
Yeah, that was my thought initially, and the screen on the phone is so small that it's hard to work with. But we do see the same sections on the ground indicating either farmland or rural areas. Either way, their impact on the surroundings is ridiculous.

Mirio was not a top tier in Season 4, he’s wasnt even faster than 20% Deku
He can react to and fight High End Nomu tho, who are superior to USJ Nomu, who is a top tier and made All Might struggle. And I doubt 20% Deku is > USJ Nomu.

Yet he can’t catch a bullet.

While I believe Mirio, via irrefutable scaling and feats is faster than bullets, a majority of people won’t believe that for the simple fact Horikoshi wrote him to be unable to finger flick a bullet out of the air. And I doubt Hori wrote him to just be so stupid as to purposefully try tank the bullet instead of catch it.

It's the final war syndrome where characters from previous sagas are suddenly able to hold their own with top tiers even though it's never really explained how they can do so.

And the same is going to happen to Stain in the next few chapters, 4 years of training only to get to 5% Deku's level? Try a year locked up in prison without any training and that will surely make you Sub-Relativistic+.

Isn't the fact that he can keep up with Prime AM level opponents not enough?
Yep, and we know that All Might is at minimum "faster than a speeding bullet".

So Mirio went from having trouble with handguns to being able to keep up with "faster than bullet" characters.

It doesn't really matter how he did it, it just works.

Can you prove Mirio has gotten dozens of times stronger offscreen while quirkless and being unable to do any real hero work?
He has better feats. Keeping up with people who would've blitzed him beforehand. Mirio's Quirk has nothing to do with his speed/strength or anything. His reaction time is something he trained himself and is independent of him doing hero work. I find it amazing how people can't understand this simple fact.

He has all the free time in the world and was holding on to hope his powers would return. The idea of him keeping up and continuing to train isn't unbelievable. Regardless how it happened is irrelevant, because he's clearly better than he was before. Or else Shiggy would instantly blitz him like 100% Izuku blitzed Flect.

Show us a scan or something that says Mirio was incapable of improving whatsoever and is the exact same as he was back in the Yakuza Arc.

Little by little we are completing it.
N2G7CEi_d.webp

Damn, didn't get the chance to make an Imgur album this time. Scratch that, panels here.
Here's the summary though, and it's wild:
The chapter begins with the police officers saying that several blocks have started moving again and that AFO has just passed through the city of Idou. Tsukauchi asks if anyone can still fight and another cop says they've asked several for backup, but they're all busy.
That's when another cop falls out of his chair and shouts "the heat from Dabi's flames in Gunga...!". Tsukauchi tells him to explain and asks if Endeavor has been defeated. The cop says that he hasn't, but the results of their analysis show that Dabi is about to explode.
Since he got up to continue fighting he has been concentrating the heat inside his own body. If he continues like this he'll only last for about 10 more minutes and then all that energy will be released, destroying his body and causing a heat explosion with an area of 5km.
Tsukauchi despairs and La Brava warns him that some of the underground shelters are now close to Gunga, the civilians are in Dabi's blast radius. Then we see that the block where the Todoroki family is keeps collapsing and Gunhead tells them to open the emergency exit.
Another cop warns that AFO is even faster and is now close enough to use his goo teleport quirk. Tsukauchi asks once again for reinforcements, but someone confirms that no heroes will arrive in time. It is then that a voice calls his name over the communicator.
Cut to Kamino and Iida asks Shoto how tired he is from using Phosphor, but he says he's fine. He can't stop while there's a chance AFO may get to where Deku is, but Iida says his mind must be a mess right now because of the whole Dabi situation.
Shoto replies saying that he has to fulfill his duty and Iida is devastated by the fact that someone as kind as his friend, who guided him back to the right path, has to deal with all this stuff. The two of them are crying.
That's when a voice says it finally connected!" over the communicator. It's All Might's voice! He is happy to hear that the two of them are okay and says that he doesn't have much time, so he'll be brief: they have to get to Gunga as fast as possible.
Dabi will explode soon and the evacuation blocks have stopped moving. Endeavor is fighting him, but he'll not be able to stop the explosion with his quirk. All Might says that he is sure that Iida will be able to run there and begins a short speech dedicated to Shoto.
Body and mind are two different things, and Shoto knows this better than anyone else because of all the things he's gone through. Shoto says he'd rather go stop AFO, but AM tells him not to worry about it. What he has to do now is to stop Toya and reassure everyone.
The only quirks that can save Gunga are Engine and Half-Cold Half-Hot. Shoto isn't sure if that's possible because Iida's engines have overheated, but he says the rain lowered its temperature. His legs are for guiding lost children, and this is what he will do with Shoto.
Iida puts Shouto on his back and tells him to hold on tight. Stain watches and mutters to himself that they're giving their all for the sake of other people. What follows is a spread of the two of them flying through the air and crashing buildings with Iida's full power.
A narration then begins saying that Hawks' report said that young AFO is stronger and more cruel. We then see Hawks holding Tokoyami, Tsukauchi yelling "idiot!" and All Might getting out of his car, saying that this has always been his battle as AFO flies closer.
AM says that this brings back memories of their past fights and wonders if all this newfound hatred is Shigaraki's influence. Tsukauchi tells him to flee because he's quirkless and All Might smiles, remembering when Deku asked if he could be a hero even without a quirk.
The last double page shows All for One smiling as All Might's briefcase and car start to disassemble, forming some kind of robotic armor around his arm. He says that he cannot ignore the villain in front of him and lets out his iconic line: I AM HERE! End of chapter!!!

Last edited:
Back