• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My concern regarding "magic" in matches

Peppypony

She/Her
If I were to say something like "Well if you character's powers are considered to be magic, then my character would be able to do this, do that or even resist it". But like, different verse have their own definitions and standards for what does or doesn't count as magic. So therefore I feel like I wouldn't be able to say that if their OC's verse's definition of magic is different to my verse's definition of magic.

For example, Toriel from Undertale's fire manipulation is considered "magic" within her own game. But in my verse, it wouldn't. In order for a power to be considered "magic" in my verse, it has to be something that you learn rather than something you're born and therefore is part of your biology (so mutants and spiderman's powers wouldn't count as "magic" because those powers are part of their biology). Correct me if I'm wrong because it has been quite a few years since I last played Undertale, but I don't remember there being anything to prove that Toriel learned magic so I feel like it's safe to assume that she was born with it. Not only that, but "magic" is also considered to be just one of many "Capability Themes" which are based mostly on aesthetic and fire is not considered to be part of my verse's Capability Theme that is considered "magic". In fact, fire is considered to be it's own theme.

Last edited:
Is it? It's just I remember there being times where with characters from the Fate franchise people would say like... what I gave as an example here
"Well if you character's powers are considered to be magic, then my character would be able to do this, do that or even resist it"
without even debating on the definitions of magic between the two verses. Also I remember people saying years ago that Joker from Persona stomped Discord because almost everything in MLP is classified as "magic". Although I can't remember whether people debated on the definitions between the two verses or not.

But hey if it's under verse equalization, then that should take away my concerns then and I'll bring it up whenever needed in a match I have with anyone some day.

That probably has something to do with where Fate characters source their powers.

Edit: I know nothing about Fate so please don't kill me if I'm wrong.

I do know that a sizable number of Fate Servants specifically have the skill "Magic Resistance", which makes them resistant to Magic. They also have a inherently very haxy biology all things considered.

The thing is that in Fate magic is inherently 4D (at the very least) and it also grant Mystery which is something that grant haxs, so is because of those things that currently verse equalizarion don't work most of the time against them (since the rules state that to verse equalization work both things need to be sufficiently similar).

Back