• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mother Series and PK Thunder

ImagoDesattrolante

VS Battles
Retired
So, there's an attack in all the Mother series games called PK Thunder, which seems to be lightning. Characters are able to dodge this attack, on occasion. This brings up a couple of questions; Is this their reaction speed, or is it aimdodging? Or does it just translate to this speed with this specific attack? Most importantly, is it real lightning? I'd like to find out, but I need opinions on this first. Any form of calculations would be appreciated.

Bleh, considering it is PSI, I would have doubts over it being a real lighting, but eh, I'm not the most knowladgables on this subject.

Considering that the effect happens a lot faster than any other PSI attack, almost on par with PSI beam, I think you might be onto something.

ImagoDesattrolante said:
Northern Wind00 said:
A better question, if it's the case, and I honestly can't remember... can they dodge PSI-BEAM? Because that attack is light based.
Eh?
It's an attack from Mother 1 that is literally described as firing a beam of light. If the party can dodge that attack from Starmen, assuming PSI is untelegraphed, they can dodge light. (May not be applicable to Mother 2, but I like Ninten anyway)

Northern Wind00 said:
ImagoDesattrolante said:
Northern Wind00 said:
A better question, if it's the case, and I honestly can't remember... can they dodge PSI-BEAM? Because that attack is light based.
Eh?
It's an attack from Mother 1 that is literally described as firing a beam of light. If the party can dodge that attack from Starmen, assuming PSI is untelegraphed, they can dodge light. (May not be applicable to Mother 2, but I like Ninten anyway)
Huh. That too.

In mother 3, it sorta sheds some light on what PK thunder is like. It strikes down upon the enemies but sometimes missing and showing it more clearly as a lightning bolt smiting. It maybe safe to assume it is the speed of a regular lightning bolt.

(What would the speed of PK Flash be? Would PK flash be considered a limited "hax"?)

Salavtore said:
In mother 3, it sorta sheds some light on what PK thunder is like. It strikes down upon the enemies but sometimes missing and showing it more clearly as a lightning bolt smiting. It maybe safe to assume it is the speed of a regular lightning bolt.

(What would the speed of PK Flash be? Would PK flash be considered a limited "hax"?)
It's a small% OHK

Sorry for bringing that up this late, but usually lightning should only be assumed to move with lightning speed, if it demonstrated properties of usual lightning and/or the character caused cloud to ground lightning.

(with properties being: making muscles of hit beings contract, having an (electro)magnetic field, being shown to actually move with a speed similar to lightning, flowing through conducting materials, the character being able to manipulate real electricity or electromagnetism in general, generating ozone or causing electrolysis)

Also I am sceptical about dodging based on probability in games being a speed feat.

DontTalk said:
Also I am sceptical about dodging based on probability in games being a speed feat.
I would be too, unless it specifically states that the characters are dodging, rather than the lightning is missing.

Well usually in the game it's you or the enemies who miss. In earthbound and mother 3, pk lightning has a chance to miss but you shoot it about 3 times. So i wouldn't consider it a speed feat tbh. When the masked man uses his lightning on your party, no one reacts really, till you get the franklin badge.

Back