• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat 1 Discussion Thread

I've made all the Ghostface profiles up till now, I am eager to make the MK1 one

TIER 2 GHOSTFACE REAL???

As for actually getting MK1 profiles out, we need to see about this calc. Someone already made most of the profiles (not the DLC though)

There also seems to be some differing opinions on the Tier 2 characters and where they scale. Some suggested Low 2-C, some suggested 2-C. That should probably be ironed out.

I'm in the camp of "Low 2-C, possibly 2-C" for Liu Kang and other Titans, the "Hero/Dark" characters (who you play as/against in the final chapter), and the DLCs like Homelander and Omni-Man. I can see about a making a profile for one of them and then I can show it off and see if it's passable
I don't think ghostface would scale to it

I'm fairly sure all the Guest characters are shown killing Tsang Shung in their ending cutscenes with the exception of Homelander, who one-shots Liu Kang instead

However, the tower endings are all canon thanks to multiverse stuff, same with Invasions (that you can use the guests in)

Ok so Titan Havik is everything I wanted from Havik seemingly

Dude is a chaotic mess and has the mace. He’s also boxing the **** out of Liu Kang and the boys

Shektor and Sherax are cool, finally some differentiation within the characters. Them having a part in the story also solves the issue of Janet Cage being there for the meme but with no personality.
I'm so fed up with Noob, so far looks 1:1 the edgy clown yapping edging nonsense at each occasion that was in 11. I get that he is connected to Bi Han and maybe this time they'll have the decency of avoiding making him a clown also in practical results. However, there were many more better options, like characters from the 3D era related to Havik too that they could bring back, instead of one we just had and who's basically unchanged in personality and appearance.
Ghostface is... ok, I guess? He's two games later in the thematic streak and while potentially cool, feels quite random in-between all the others, who also looks random because the whole gang is a mismatched bunch.
Conan feels also really out of place, he's based on the '80s movie but that thread is also from the last game and overall he isn't such an interesting character. I have total indifference for the T-1000 but it rubs me bad to have another Terminator character. Overall, it feels like a badly assorted cast of scrapped candidates from the past games given a second chance.
I honestly don't know which trend they should have picked after the "violent superheroes", but they could have done better.

Speaking of Tier 2, the main evidence is the battle between Liu Kang and Shang-Tsung releasing mammoth energies which ripped apart time's fabric, causing the birth of endless different timelines,
Personally, I disagree with counting this as an example of clear-cut Tier 2 AP, despite what might appear. Now, I don't remember all the counterarguments that were posed back then in a CRT that went on for pages, ending with the decision of waiting for the sequel of the story to shed more light.
For now, I'll lay down the reasons why I don't believe the characters should be tier 2. For starters, I'll quote the tiering system page requirements for Low 2-C, which are the same for 2-A but with infinite possibilities.
they can significantly affect, create and/or destroy higher-dimensional structures that exceed lesser objects by an uncountably infinite margin. An example of this being 4-dimensional spacetime continuums of universal size

While Liu and Shang have indeed significantly affected a spacetime continuum (Low 2-C), splitting it into two (so possibly 2-C) but also to endless others (so possibly 2-A), they have repeteadly failed to affect them in more thoroughly ways on their own and always needed to use the hourglass.
Shang Tsung, upon deciding to simply destroy Liu Kang's timeline, specifically needs to destroy the Hourglass of that timeline, instead of just doing so by virtue of his own power. This additionally tells us how the Hourglass is what sustains a timeline, not the Keeper of Time.
To restart and craft the timelines, both Liu Kang, Kronika and all the other Time Keepers need to use the Hourglass, not their own time power. This point is also repeated and shown a million times in MK11.
Lastly, Titan Shang Tsung's initial plan was to merge his and Liu Kang's timelines, but once again he couldn't do it on his own, he needed several portals powered by souls to transfer his army and still resort to the power of the Hourglass.

So, while this split of one timeline into endless ones would technically count as "significantly affect", we also have four other instances where the power that caused this was also insufficient to destroy, sustain, merge and reboot a single one, going against the notion of the Titans really hold such levels of power.
Passing on to Invasions, Scorpion vows to burn the entire timeline, but that is clearly figurative and an overtime threat of general destruction, likely involving the Hourglass. The only other way to destroy timelines mentioned so far to my knowledge is by connecting the Jinsei of all Earthrealms, but once again this is beyond a single individual.

Back