• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monster Hunter: There are no Lavasioths on the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMUA

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
4 Months ago, I made a big downgrade thread, and one of the things I did there was suggesting that White Fatalis' feat was not a true solar eclipse, bringing it up to question, but ultimately it sorta glossed over, as my evidence for it wasn't that strong due to a lack of information

Upon thinking about what I had a little bit more, I'm here to make the same statement again, with a little bit more omph, and as it's own thread to be the primary focus of discussion.

The context​

The profile links to a calculation of the feat, but the same general idea applies

By itself, one could reasonably draw that it's a solar eclipse, even if a few things are weird

Yeah, the moon normally appears as a black mass covering the sun, but once the eclipse completes, the light around it is... blue, instead of the typical orange

Shortly afterwards, a storm starts forming outwards, turning the eclipse into a pure black void punctuated by the surrounding lightning

Ultimately, these details were what initially stood out to me, and what drove and drive me to consider the feat as a whole

With the establishment out of the way, let's get to the omph.

White Fatalis does not have telekinesis, they have weather manipulation​

The header explains itself, but indeed. In fact, no monster, even up to black dragons, directly showcase the ability to remotely apply force to general entities. Yes, Dalamadur, Crimson Fatalis and Dire Miralis are capable of summoning meteors, but those are substantially smaller than the entirety of the moon, and only used directly for the purpose of launching them at an enemy in combat.

White Fatalis' page even goes so far as to exclude telekinesis from their overall abilities, as they don't demonstrate it against any hunters or launch any projectiles in favor of creating a thick storm and attacking with lightning bolts. Storms already naturally block out the sun by quite a bit, something as supernatural as Fatalis should be more than able to do the same without a celestial object being moved in place.

"Well, if they don't have telekinesis, they could have just moved it physically"​

The problem behind this is a simple one.

There isn't air in space.

Initially, that seems like it's just a non-sequitur, but Monster Hunter only has three entities that fly without wind, Amatsu, Ibushi, and Narwa. I dunno what's up with the former (outside of their profile describing it as them swimming in the air like a leviathan), but the latter have an explicit alternative method, being wind and thundersacs, in order to propel themselves in the fashion that they do. White Fatalis both doesn't have those, and also doesn't fly anywhere near like them, as they take the more conventional wingflaps and actively blow back hunters from beneath them when they take off or land

Not to mention it's short arms and long neck would make both trying to flap their wings properly while applying that force to the moon incredibly awkward, and the fact White Fatalis is still an organic creature that likely needs to breathe to operate with such physical strain on top of that inherent disadvantage.

White Fatalis has absolutely no reason to even do this​

Let's just think about it logically here... Why, even?

It doesn't benefit their ability to fight the hunters that have transgressed upon castle schrade without their permission whatsoever, all it does is block out some light and force them to fly 3184 kilometers both ways in a short enough timespan that they don't just figure he's not home and leave. A storm directly benefits their ability to fight, but this, coupled with the complications of even pulling it off, just makes the entire scene seem baffling more than an impressive expression of nature's power.

Elder Dragons do have their own forms of being Theatric in some cases, like Kushala's entrance in 4U, but that's something it can at least do at will by flapping it's wings. The amount of effort White Fatalis supposedly puts in to pushing the moon both does nothing to properly intimidate it's prey and is far, far more inconvenient then simply manifesting a storm and flying down to face them directly

This far exceeds the scale of even other Black Dragons​

Even if you brush aside everything I just said, this shouldn't just scale to everything across the board. Let's look at that justification I posted near the start again
Should not be incredibly inferior to the white version of itself
There is no reason for this to be a thing. Even as of it's introduction to the franchise, MH4U, Fatalis and Crimson Fatalis are both viable fights even back in High Rank, while White Fatalis is reserved for deep into G Rank. And outside of game mechanics, Fatalis' claim to fame is the fact they were able to burn down a country overnight, that would be utterly nothing if they were capable of genuinely incinerating the planet with the amount of firepower they can output. Same applies to Dire Miralis boiling the tainted sea (which I estimated as anywhere from 5 Kilotons to 16 Gigatons), or Safi'jiva having full control of the bioenergy of an entire island. The only thing that actually reaches Tier 5 or even a global scale in general is stuff like the very vague descriptions for Mantles, referencing the power to control or destroy the world, or Dire Miralis' greatsword mentioning it can set the world on fire for 7 days and nights (I refer to Guildmarm on this particular line)

Heck, Banned Lagiacrus, the guy who references enough guidebooks to practically be WOG by themselves, mentions that White Fatalis is probably a completely different type of creature entirely, so it's not like you can refer to the fact Variants are sorta close enough to each other in power for this to be viable, and even if this were dismissed, several variants have direct showings of being vastly more powerful than their normal forms. Deviants, Raging Brachidyos, the metal Raths, and Ebony Odogaron goes so far as to outright oneshot their normal form.

Conclusion​

Black Dragons in general should be downgraded to Low 6-B, as the 5-A feat has several reasons to not be a genuine solar eclipse as opposed to a supernatural weather anomaly. Even if that part is somehow disregarded, anything that isn't actually shown to be on White Fatalis' level shouldn't scale to them.

Last edited:
uHyS6af.png

This is the truth DMUA doesn't want you to know about. What is he hiding? What does he know?

I get this is supposed to be a haho funny but I also can't tell what that is, is that like a Crimson Fatalis

the coloring seems off for a normal fatalis and especially a white one

I have been gone for much time, but I will say I recently saw a video talking about the Monster Hunter movie and its relation to the games? And it actually covers the White Fatalis appearance as pointed out above. IDK how reliable it is and I don't have a link to it on hand at the moment, but according to the video, which I think pulls info from guides/interviews and whatnot, indicates that the first actual canon fight between a player character and Fatalis is Fatalis vs the Sapphire Star of World/Iceborne, and that it's indicated the supernatural weather phenomenon is a portal (Like the ones in the movie) that just pops a White Fatalis out to fight the Hunter of 4U.

I can try to find the video if you want, see if it actually holds weight

Regardless of that video, I'm fine with the downgrade tbqh

The environmental effect being some kind of storm-like anomaly makes a lot of sense to me, and I always sorta felt White was an entirely different deal than Crimson Fatalis or Fatalis; interesting to see Word of Dante that it's pretty much(?) true. This I'm down with!

yeah this is a weird feat, i just looked at clip and the thing moving looks perfectly spherical, it looks like the moon, but yeah, how? why? what?

Last edited:
I have been gone for much time, but I will say I recently saw a video talking about the Monster Hunter movie and its relation to the games? And it actually covers the White Fatalis appearance as pointed out above. IDK how reliable it is and I don't have a link to it on hand at the moment, but according to the video, which I think pulls info from guides/interviews and whatnot, indicates that the first actual canon fight between a player character and Fatalis is Fatalis vs the Sapphire Star of World/Iceborne, and that it's indicated the supernatural weather phenomenon is a portal (Like the ones in the movie) that just pops a White Fatalis out to fight the Hunter of 4U.
I feel that is not really the intent here but I guess if there's an official statement that's another thing

I can try to find the video if you want, see if it actually holds weight

Regardless of that video, I'm fine with the downgrade tbqh
Probably this video by Chrono Pinoy X. The idea that White Fatalis came from a "time space distortion" is very much fanon; the only official statement used in that video was the Iceborne book's quote from a researcher theorizing Fatalis may have come from another dimension after a wild rumor regarding a person in the desert. Plus, even if there was real credence about Fatty dropping in from another world, this doesn't necessarily mean White did in that specific instance.

As an aside, if the movie were canon, you'd think the (Commission?) researcher who wrote that passage would have more directly referenced Artemis; she runs into most of the Commission's main members throughout the movie, so interdimensional shenanigans would definitely be more than rumor if it actually happened.

Last edited:
So I guess the presentation of the eclipse happening is just weird given how fast it's made.

Also can we get Lavasioth into the tags for the thread please 👀

Nah serious business on my tags

I only even made the title what it is as a Hot Fish joke

Darn

The machinations of Holy's mind aside, this is an across the board approval of the CRT, yeah

I completely forgot this thread exists. Well, I think that's enough of a reason to doubt it. Does Black Dragons have better feats? Boiling an entire sea, for example?

The sea boiling duma had calc'd the sea boiling thing on discord assuming that the tainted sea was equal in size to the mediterranean sea, it got 6-C
The only other feat I can think of would be the feat that makili pietru did on waking up, which probably isn't going to go beyond low 6-B, maybe it could reach higher but idfk.

Unless there's something I'm forgetting, the best I have up my sleeve is just scaling up from Zorah Magdaros

I expected Dire Miralis's feat to be higher but even with a pretty high end assumption for the tainted sea's size it only got 6-C (granted I may have also screwed up the depth, might revisit it later and maybe it'll get 6-B or beyond, but even then it's a mostly baseless assumption of using the Mediterranean's size because the villages on it sorta look that way)

Last edited:
Dunno how long I should wait for new feats but it seems like nobody's objecting? I'll probably just make the edits a few days from now, give some time for people to bring up an alternative that I may have not thought of

It's been a few days, we aren't missing any supporters I can think of, I'll just go ahead and do it

Granted I also say that and it occurs to me that I'm not 100% sure on what the justification should be, probably something like (Burnt down Shrade within the span of a single night. As a Dangerous first class monster, should be superior to Zorah Magdaros) but that seems a little bit stale and I'm somewhat blanking on explicit statements of Fatalis being up there as an extremely dangerous monster (Though I could probably mention their appearance causing Elder Dragon populations to plummet as well)

Dire Miralis' lifting strength is also a bit strange since sinking an island is something that could be easily done with a punch or a meteor strike, so that would probably be downgraded to Class G scaling up from Dalamadur (who's bodyweight is that as I've calculated)

Actually

Xeno'jiva is probably the easiest justification I could use, since Safi is supposed to be a direct rival to Fatalis after molting countless times into that form

Granted that page hasn't been updated to include that stuff yet but that'll come soon enough so

Actually

Xeno'jiva is probably the easiest justification I could use, since Safi is supposed to be a direct rival to Fatalis after molting countless times into that form

Granted that page hasn't been updated to include that stuff yet but that'll come soon enough so
We really need to add that shit already.

Dalamadur: Has a Low 6-B statement, may remove that on grounds of hyperbole but they are a bit stronger than normal elder dragons so for now 1.4 Teratons or so

Zorah Magdaros: their dying explosion releases 3.4 Teratons of TNT, their more direct to combat AP is probably lower but they were old and dying by that point anyways

Xeno'jiiva: absorbed the Bio-energy of at least two of the former and a ton of Elder Dragons, and judging by the guiding lands, it would likely have survived and absorbed the energy of Zorah Magdaros as well in order to eventually molt into Safi'jiiva

Safi'jiiva: much stronger than Xeno'jiiva due to molting and growing countless times

Alaetron: Would fight evenly enough with Safi'jiiva that the commission wasn't sure which would come out on top

Fatalis: directly stated by WOG to be a rival to Safi

Black Dragons/Dangerous First Class monsters all scale to Fatalis and Alaetron

Dalamadur: Has a Low 6-B statement, may remove that on grounds of hyperbole but they are a bit stronger than normal elder dragons so for now 1.4 Teratons or so

Zorah Magdaros: their dying explosion releases 3.4 Teratons of TNT, their more direct to combat AP is probably lower but they were old and dying by that point anyways

Xeno'jiiva: absorbed the Bio-energy of at least two of the former and a ton of Elder Dragons, and judging by the guiding lands, it would likely have survived and absorbed the energy of Zorah Magdaros as well in order to eventually molt into Safi'jiiva

Safi'jiiva: much stronger than Xeno'jiiva due to molting and growing countless times

Alaetron: Would fight evenly enough with Safi'jiiva that the commission wasn't sure which would come out on top

Fatalis: directly stated by WOG to be a rival to Safi

Black Dragons/Dangerous First Class monsters all scale to Fatalis and Alaetron
thank you for the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back