• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monkey D. Luffy vs Gon Freecss

Speed gap is something Luffy can handle, could keep up, adapt to, and end up matching Kuro who was blitzing him like crazy.

Scissors is a valid wincon.

Skill? Gon is more booksmart from what we see in the anime, manga, and on the profile, but Luffy's combat smarts vastly outmatch.

Luffy's instinct might help against Scissors, but that's just headcanon from me tbh

This sounds like fun I like both characters

To start normally blunt attacks would not hurt Luffy due to his body being rubber but since Gon attacks have nen aura I guess this will by pass Luffy rubber body in terms of versatility I would give the edge to Luffy but not by much this is something that Gon page does not have but there are a few abilities Gon has that are not on there like Gon round two ability and sound attack Gon's a lot more versatility then his page on battle wiki shows
0209-006.png

0211-005.png

What round two does is allow Gon to charge double the amount of aura for a normal jajanken so he can due combo jajanken attacks without having to due the chant as shown in the image above he does the chant normally and fires paper using it has cover to get behind Knuckle but for Rock he just says round 2 Rock this is something that not a lot of people know about but this gives Gon a lot more options in combat
0208-004.png

Along with using jajanken to setup feints I bring this up because I'm sure there going to be some people saying Gon wont be able to use his ability during his fight with Luffy due the chant and charge up time but as shown during his fight with Knuckle he can and as many ways of using it Knuckle being faster than kid Gon

Also Gon can use enhancement on his voice just like Uvogin though when he used it has a kid it was weaker due to Gon skills in enhancement not being as good
0232-011.png

luffy on the other hand has way to many different attacks for me to go over but most of it is just different kinds of punches

I think I'll give it to Gon I think overall he's the smarter fighter and is willing to go for the kill not play around as much

Also to the guy saying Gon more book smart he's both combat smart and book smart he shows this during his battle with Knuckle after it was pointed out the weakness of his ability Gon was able to figure out a way to use those weakness to outplay Knuckle during their fight during his fight with Genthru he used Genthru ability weakness of focusing aura into his hands in order to land a powerful kick had Genthru not gotten lucky and fallen he would have been taken out by Gon rock
0180-007.png

during the dodgeball Game Gon was the one that come up with the idea for stopping Razor throw

0166-011.png

0167-006.png

Gon is someone who he sees his opponents weakness and comes up with plans during combat to take them out just go back and look at most of his fight he's always thinking up new ways to win in terms of combat smarts Gon > Luffy

Luffy mostly overpowers his opponents or outlast them through willpower yes he uses his ability in creative ways but outside of that there not nearly as many moments of him just outsmarting his opponents

Last edited:
but outside of that there not nearly as many moments of him just outsmarting his opponents
That's false, Luffy is nearly Goku's level of "battle genius" in his own creative way.

I don't know if later showcases apply to his East Blue self, but Luffy's skill is not getting outmatched by Gon's. Both are skilled as hell.

This is fact he wins most of his fight by having higher will power or overpowering them Gon wins most of his fights by outsmarting his opponents the only time he really wins just by overpower his enemy was with Pitou and low level ants/nen users all of Gon big fights outside of Pitou are him using his brain the same can not be said for Luffy like I said in my first comment Luffy is very creative with how he uses his devil fruit for different attacks but Gon as better feats when it comes to combat smarts

Case in point Luffy figuring out crocodile weakness was just dumb luck it's not like he analysis crocodile fruit like Gon did with Genthru little flower
most of these comes down to how Oda and Togashi write fights and what they like to focus on Oda is clearly more focus on the intensity of the fights scenes while Togashi likes to have his characters out smart each other even in the higher end fights like Hisoka vs Chrollo or Meruem vs Netero this is still the case as Meruem use what he learn with Komugi in order to get pass Netero attacks

While Luffy vs Kaido in the manga right now is pretty much just them trading blows back and forth with Luffy losing then coming back with advanced king haki losing again then coming back with gear 5 see what I mean by Luffy winning his fight through sheer will power and outlasting his enemy not that theirs anything wrong with that but Gon is the smarter fighter

Case in point Luffy figuring out crocodile weakness was just dumb luck it's not like he analysis crocodile fruit like Gon did with Genthru little flower
DUMB LUCK?
Oh brother, you are not knowledgeable on One Piece at all.

Luffy got curbstomped by Crocodile, hanged in the air by the neck all bloodied. He grabbed Crocodile's arm with his hand covered in blood, and from that little interaction alone, plus the knowledge that Crocodile can dry things up, he made a conclusion that he was weak to water, since he goes out of his way to make rain impossible on the country.

Also, Gon wouldn't be able to do shit without Killua laying out a plan for him.
most of these comes down to how Oda and Togashi write fights and what they like to focus on Oda is clearly more focus on the intensity of the fights scenes while Togashi likes to have his characters out smart each other even in the higher end fights like Hisoka vs Chrollo or Meruem vs Netero this is still the case as Meruem use what he learn with Komugi in order to get pass Netero attacks

While Luffy vs Kaido in the manga right now is pretty much just them trading blows back and forth with Luffy losing then coming back with advanced king haki losing again then coming back with gear 5 see what I mean by Luffy winning his fight through sheer will power and outlasting his enemy not that theirs anything wrong with that but Gon is the smarter fighter
The sheer amount of ignorance and headcanon in this comment is actually crazy.

Literally read Luffy's profile. Tempest was kind enough to specify why Luffy is a genius when it comes to battling (and you keep saying "creative" as if that's not a part of battle intelligence)

That's false, Luffy is nearly Goku's level of "battle genius" in his own creative way.

I don't know if later showcases apply to his East Blue self, but Luffy's skill is not getting outmatched by Gon's. Both are skilled as hell.
I think Goku overrated when it comes to his level of battle genius in the first place as dragon ball goes on it becomes more about who has the higher power level so things like battle smarts does not matter as much but even if we use Goku early feats from z I still don't think he's done anything that makes me go oh wow that was such a creative way to win a fight like all his fights in z are him winning through power alone or getting help from friends he never really come up with a plan that or used his ability in a way that made me go wow that's a great idea outside of using instant transmission with the kamehameha

During his fight with Frieza he gets a power up and beats him due to Frieza not being able to sense Ki not by using his brain
0132-017.png

He wins due to Frieza not being able to sense Ki ya he would have won anyway but that's only due to having a power up that allows him to overpower Frieza
His plan to use his son to beat Cell went really bad early on
0208-011.png

His plan of using his 11 year old son nearly backfired and would have gotten them all killed had android 16 not talked to Gohan and he did not even think to tell Gohan about his plan

The only time strategy took down the main bad guy was the buu arc I would also like to point out that Goku was not the one to even come up with the plan that defeated Buu that was all Vegeta idea
0319-006.png

Goku was like it's all over lol while Vegeta was using his brain and come up with a amazing plan that saved the day
0319-010.png

Goku likes dam that a great plan way better than anything I come up with this arc

Really compared to hunter x hunter characters Goku nothing special when talking about battle genius and looking at all his fights in the manga and comparing them to Gon I would say Gon > Goku when it comes to battle smarts easy I think some people should really go back and reread dragon ball manga this is not a series where being the smarter fighter matters lol that why the humans characters become useless

Just because a series says a character his a battle genius does not make them one they have to feats that show there genius and Goku Luffy while being creative at times don't come close to the level we see from characters in hxh talking about battle genius not power levels that is

DUMB LUCK?
Oh brother, you are not knowledgeable on One Piece at all.

Luffy got curbstomped by Crocodile, hanged in the air by the neck all bloodied. He grabbed Crocodile's arm with his hand covered in blood, and from that little interaction alone, plus the knowledge that Crocodile can dry things up, he made a conclusion that he was weak to water, since he goes out of his way to make rain impossible on the country.

Also, Gon wouldn't be able to do shit without Killua laying out a plan for him.

The sheer amount of ignorance and headcanon in this comment is actually crazy.

Literally read Luffy's profile. Tempest was kind enough to specify why Luffy is a genius when it comes to battling (and you keep saying "creative" as if that's not a part of battle intelligence)
Ya that's dumb luck also
Also, Gon wouldn't be able to do shit without Killua laying out a plan for him
Go back and reread that fight
0180-007.png

Gon plan that Gon came up with not Killua would have finish Genthru the only reason why Genthru was not taken out by this was due to tripping
0180-005.png

Gon by watching Genthru ability came up with a way to counter it that would have taken Genthru out Genthru just got lucky that's why Gon went back to Killua plan after his own plan failed due to bad luck it's clear you don't really know much about Gon and trying to hype up Goku of all people when talking about battle smarts it's dragon ball man that series is not one you should use when trying to make a case for a character being a battle genius LOL I don't care what the profile for Goku or Luffy says I'm going by feats from the manga not what some fan on this site thinks

look at all of Luffy big wins he wins by having a stronger will
when fighting Doffy Lucci and cro and most recently Kaido it's never a plan that allows him to beat them it's over whelming them with sheer force of will and a lot of punches

And Luffy biggest wins come by him winning through sheer will power he just wont go down because he has the strongest will he wont give up

Last edited:
I don't care what the profile for Goku or Luffy says I'm going by feats from the manga not what some fan on this site thinks
Get the **** out of this site then, no one will miss you, 🤡

The profiles states feats from the manga, but since you only use interpretation for the characters you like, it really doesn't matter if you read or not.
Just ******* leave.

Sorry, but the disrespect on the site while arguing in it got me pissed, why the hell are you here then? If you don't believe the profiles are portraying the character accurately, there is no point in arguing in a forum that takes the information out of said profile

Luffy's Intelligence feats.

"Hurr durr, dumbluck and willpower, no intelligence, I never touched a ******* page of the manga"

Get the **** out of this site then, no one will miss you, 🤡

The profiles states feats from the manga, but since you only use interpretation for the characters you like, it really doesn't matter if you read or not.
Just ******* leave.
Naw I'll stay as long as I feel like it
Just ******* leave.
And the profiles are based on interpretation from fans who made those profiles fool and plenty of people think there wrong you can go on other website and see for yourself Lol stay mad
why the hell are you here then?
This might surpise you but you can have debates with people even if you don't agree with them there are some profiles I think are ok but some on this site either overrate characters power or underrate them Ya I don't think Luffy this amazing battle genius not saying he is dumb when it comes to combat but most of his wins come from overpower his enemy and always getting back up but we can agree to disagree if you want

My vote for adult Gon

Last edited:
If your not going to argue by the profile then don't come to a vs thread, no other way to say it. If you have issues with Luffy's intelligence, then by God you'll do what everyone else does and make a Content Revision Thread, though your going to have to be sure to include scans from the Manga for your points!

And the profiles are based on interpretation from fans who made those profiles fool and plenty of people think there wrong you can go on other website and see for yourself Lol stay mad.
"Lol, my biased interpretation from reading the series once is clearly superior to these multiple One Piece supporters who went out of their way to re read and be accurate"
My vote for adult Gon
Adult Gon isn't being used, buffoon.

If your not going to argue by the profile then don't come to a vs thread, no other way to say it. If you have issues with Luffy's intelligence, then by God you'll do what everyone else does and make a Content Revision Thread, though your going to have to be sure to include scans from the Manga for your points!
I'll go to a vs thread if I feel like it don't care what you or the other guy thinks if you can't debate without having to relay only on these profile made by fans that's on you
If you have issues with Luffy's intelligence, then by God you'll do what everyone else does and make a Content Revision
I don't care about Luffy profile enough to due that if you think he's this genius combat who's smarter than Gon in combat you can think that I already brought up Gon fights in the manga to proof my point

"Lol, my biased interpretation from reading the series once is clearly superior to these multiple One Piece supporters who went out of their way to re read and be accurate"

Adult Gon isn't being used, buffoon.
Ya I missed type that this guy made a post about adult Gon vs luffy so I ended up having to retype some stuff for that post still voting for Gon sense I was writing a comment for that my post before seeing this one
"Lol, my biased interpretation from reading the series once is clearly superior to these multiple One Piece supporters who went out of their way to re read and be accurate" "
Man one piece fanboys be so salty when I talk about there mc not being a combat genius lol your free to believe what you want about Luffy like I said lol stay salty ********

Well who else am I gonna vote for? Gon currently has 1 acclible wincon in scissors, Luffy has more then 1 and can get them off at a decent rate
Luffy can barely damage Gon with his attacks due to Ryu and Ko, and has invisible Nen, sword and energy emission. Gon's senses are also better, on top of not being too far behind Luffy, and being faster.

Gon also has RPL to keep uo with Luffy's, and insane amounts of stamina (not in the same level of Luffy, but whatever) and power awakening. Plus, his sword and energy attacks scale to 350 tons, meaning they'd hurt Luffy pretty bad.

No one gave Luffy a reason to win above
I said lol stay salty
What are you, a 12-year-old?
Either way, Tempest's sandbox, which I sent earlier already debunked you, so no need to kick a dead horse.

Luffy can barely damage Gon with his attacks due to Ryu and Ko, and has invisible Nen, sword and energy emission. Gon's senses are also better, on top of not being too far behind Luffy, and being faster.

Gon also has RPL to keep uo with Luffy's, and insane amounts of stamina (not in the same level of Luffy, but whatever) and power awakening. Plus, his sword and energy attacks scale to 350 tons, meaning they'd hurt Luffy pretty bad.

Either way, Tempest's sandbox, which I sent earlier already debunked you, so no need to kick a dead horse.
Says the guy can't debate without using profiles that are either missing stuff or have wrong stuff in them and throws a temper tantrum when someone does not agree he did not debunk anything but feel free to believe what you want

I'll go to a vs thread if I feel like it don't care what you or the other guy thinks if you can't debate without having to relay only on these profile made by fans that's on you

I don't care about Luffy profile enough to due that if you think he's this genius combat who's smarter than Gon in combat you can think that I already brought up Gon fights in the manga to proof my point
Gon is a 10-C kid with Below Average Human speed so luffy blitzes and obliterates him! Man, sorry to be a massive stomp match, it should be closed!

This isn't Comicvine or most other battleboards that I know of, we don't go by everyone's seperate interpretation of the characters, we go by profiles which 9/10 are required to have at the very least decent reasonings for their tiers and various sections, Intelligence is included in this, anything on the profiles(That isn't garbage like Brook's Intelligence section) was agreed upon to be put into place by staff members and regular members, some not at all affiliated with One Piece and as such are 100% neutral.

You are entirely debunked by facts and logic, make a CRT if you want to contest it or lea

You mean Gon's limited Nen Manipulation? Or is that the key not used here for whatever reason lol

Gon is a 10-C kid with Below Average Human speed so luffy blitzes and obliterates him! Man, sorry to be a massive stomp match, it should be closed!

This isn't Comicvine or most other battleboards that I know of, we don't go by everyone's seperate interpretation of the characters, we go by profiles which 9/10 are required to have at the very least decent reasonings for their tiers and various sections, Intelligence is included in this, anything on the profiles(That isn't garbage like Brook's Intelligence section) was agreed upon to be put into place by staff members and regular members, some not at all affiliated with One Piece and as such are 100% neutral.

You are entirely debunked by facts and logic, make a CRT if you want to contest it or lea

You mean Gon's limited Nen Manipulation? Or is that the key not used here for whatever reason lol
As I said before it's ok if you want to believe Luffy is a battle genius who outsmarts Gon nothing wrong with that I don't agree that's all and using Goku to compare Luffy to is not helping Luffy case but if you think other wise ok I don't care enough to make a crt I keep my vote for Gon

Can't debate so go for the ban cool only proofing my point
Charmander has been aggressive here but I'll be a little blunt myself.

I think Thrall's profile blows apsolute dogshit, and it does, but I'd have to go by it if I made any matches with him whatsoever. You have to go by both Luffy's profile and Gon's profile if you want to make votes and such based on your reasoning, this means your vote is eternally invalid until you do so, and as your unwilling to make a CRT(probably because you'd get thrashed pretty badly by Tempest) you have to go with the frankly excellent intelligence section Luffy has that's 100% up to date and has accurate showings based on the manga with second opinions out the ass

News flash: we already have their feats neatly organized in the profiles they have.

News flash 2: if you want to start arguing about Luffy's feats that are in his profile you are automatically derailing

News flash: we already have their feats neatly organized in the profiles they have.

News flash 2: if you want to start arguing about Luffy's feats that are in his profile you are automatically derailing
News flash: some of scaling for profiles on this site are wrong or are missing stuff as I already pointed out the ones holding us on the luffy thing is you guys at this point I already gave my vote

News flash 2: I already said I voted for Gon and said we could agree to disagree and move on you guys are the ones who keep responding cause you can't handle the fact I disagree but I'm not derailing anything at this point I voted and moved on you guys just keep replying to my comment so of course I'm going to say something but I'm pretty much done with this debate sense I already voted

News flash: some of scaling for profiles on this site are wrong or are missing stuff as I already pointed out the ones holding us on the luffy thing is you guys at this point I already gave my vote

News flash 2: I already said I voted for Gon and said we could agree to disagree and move on you guys are the ones who keep responding cause you can't handle the fact I disagree but I'm not derailing anything at this point I voted and moved on you guys just keep replying to my comment so of course I'm going to say something but I'm pretty much done with this debate sense I already voted
That is true, unfortunately I care little as it be the rules to use the profiles in a Versus thread. Your the one who's implying fans are always wrong and 200% biased, which by the way, also applies to you and your interpretations of Gon's skill feats, which all belong to other characters or are dumb luck

I'm responding because you are blatantly wrong, and the fact you won't make a Content Revision Thread solidifies this. if you refuse to use the profiles for versus threads, then a versus thread ban which can lead into a complete ban will be placed on you.

This isn't ComicVine, we don't just go by every single person's interpretation of the characters, we go by the profiles made for each character.
@GodlyCharmander @DaReaperMan Ready to report him, guys?
Eh, do as you will I say

Somebody please stop Him/her/it's... We debate using whats on the profiles. These guys reminds me of someone. Lmao

That is true, unfortunately I care little as it be the rules to use the profiles in a Versus thread. Your the one who's implying fans are always wrong and 200% biased, which by the way, also applies to you and your interpretations of Gon's skill feats, which all belong to other characters or are dumb luck

I'm responding because you are blatantly wrong, and the fact you won't make a Content Revision Thread solidifies this. if you refuse to use the profiles for versus threads, then a versus thread ban which can lead into a complete ban will be placed on you.

This isn't ComicVine, we don't just go by every single person's interpretation of the characters, we go by the profiles made for each character.

Eh, do as you will I say
Even going by the profile still voting for Gon so going by this logic if I was to make a thread about ant arc Gon vs x character we could not use round 2 or Gon using sound as a attack sense that not on his profile only what's on the profile

Ready to report him, guys?
I don't really use this website much anyway go for it if it makes you feel better sense you can't beat me in a debate anyway better to take the easy way out right

If you vote for an incoherent reason, your vote will not be counted.

I'm not the one getting salty and telling people to go **** off lol over a disagreement like you did me and I already said going by the profile I would still pick Gon
You still need to give reasoning based on the profile. Or say "Gon FRA" (For reasons above) if you agree with someone else's reasoning.

Back