• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor Ferb Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter_Pack

The Forgotten, Yet Destined
VS Battles
Administrator
So, this is yet another quick ability addition on another random character. This time, we have Ferb Fletcher getting a new random ability.

In the episode Voyage to the Bottom of Buford, Phineas and Ferb help Buford locate his lost pet fish, Biff. And how do they locate said fish? Why, have Ferb talk to dolphins and have them lead the group to Biff, of course.

So, yeah. Animal Manipulation for Ferb, at least to a limited degree for being able to communicate with dolphins. I'm not sure if there are other feats of this nature that's been done by Ferb, but this is extremely concrete.

Talking to dolphins wouldn't really be animal manipulation though. Looking at the page, animal manipulation is about a lot more than just talking to the animal. Simply saying "can understand and talk to dolphins" might work.

I wasn't aware we had a more suitable power, so Limited Automatic Translation could be fine.

I wasn't aware we had a more suitable power, so Limited Automatic Translation could be fine.
Prior to checking the page more thoroughly, I had assumed it might be more... mechanical or technological, like in Star Trek.
There is also the "without any prior knowledge of the language." part of the description of Automatic Translation on its VSBW page; I don't know if Ferb has had prior knowledge of Dolphin language or not.

Although, perhaps unfortunately brief as it may be, this thread may also not be the ideal place to discuss the Automatic Translation page & abilities similar to this.
Regarding Ferb's dolphin communication ability itself, since this thread kind of is about that, I don't see no issue with it, for all that my stance on the matter is worth.

Automatic Translation is the ability to understand and utilize verbal or non-verbal communication without any prior knowledge of the language.

I am pretty sure Ferb already knew how to communicate with dolphins so I think it doesn't quite fit here.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure Ferb already knew how to communicate with dolphins so I don't think it doesn't quite fit here.
Apologies, but did you mean to use a double negative? "I don't think it doesn't quite fit here".
As in, you mean that, Ferb already knew how to communicate with dolphins, so it doesn't seem unfitting here? (Despite Automatic Translation saying without Prior Knowledge.)
Pardon me about this minutiae, please.

I'm surprised we don't just have a Bilingualism page or Animal Communication page.
I would support such kind of power page being made.
"Talking animals" and the like shouldn't qualify for it unless they can speak "animalese" as well or so.

Ew, not adding an actual ability

Anyway, that's a fair enough assessment. I'll add this as AKM suggests, but I also think an ability page should be made for being able to communicate with animals such as this, pure and simple.

I am not against that idea. Or we could simply modify Automatic Translation page a bit so that it covers talking with animals or learning their languages.

If that happens, we can simply add it as "Limited Automatic Translation (Can talk to dolphins)" for Ferb and "Limited Automatic Translation (Can talk to gorillas)" for Tarzan.

I'd be willing to make a new thread about it if you want?

I would be quite fine with that.

Go right ahead, AKM!

Okay. Thank you. Should I close this thread then?

For this particular issue, yes, it can be closed.

But the whole deal about the general ability of communicating with animals should be continued in AKM's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back