• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Saikou_The_Lewd_King

The King of all Things Lewd
VS Battles
Retired
I'm doing this one last time, because I really didn't find the previous argument against it convincing enough.

The Entities, if not The Player themselves, are very obviously beyond the Minecraft world themselves. I only busted out the quotes about the Player dreaming the MC world, but we have plenty of quotes of the Entities treating Minecraft itself as just a game or a lesser reality compared to the world they embody.

"That doesn't matter. It thinks we are part of the game."

"It is reading our thoughts as though they were words on a screen.

That is how it chooses to imagine many things, when it is deep in the dream of a game.

Words make a wonderful interface. Very flexible. And less terrifying than staring at the reality behind the screen."

"Hah, the original interface. A million years old, and it still works. But what true structure did this player create, in the reality behind the screen?"

"No. It has not yet achieved the highest level. That, it must achieve in the long dream of life, not the short dream of a game."

"And the game was over and the player woke up from the dream. And the player began a new dream. And the player dreamed again, dreamed better. And the player was the universe. And the player was love."

Seriously we have allowed Author Avatars and such to be infinitely superior to their creations for far less than here. I think that adding "possibly High 2-A" to both The Player and the Entities would be warranted.

In addition, the Entities should receive a few more abilities either way. Due to their wordings in the Poem, they are implied to be the driving force behind everything that happens in the universe. This includes light moving, gravity, and such. They also talk of "Interfaces", which includes words and the idea of creation, destruction, shelter, and such. Again, their wording implies that they create said Interfaces.

I'd rather not go too wild regarding the implications of these, but Light Manip, Gravity Manip, Magic, and Information Manip should be included in the Entities' profile. They should also inherit the Player's abilities, given that they are pretty much the same thing as the Player, Yog-Sothoth-style.

I see nothing here that warrants them being one dimension higher. Being vastly superior isn't a reason.

The end poem doesn't even relate to the main game. The author didn't want to explain anything about the minecraft world through it, it is a separate short story with a philosophical message.

That was my reply regarding the last thread about this btw. and I basically still have that opinion.

Long Text
You should read this interview.

Well, for one thing the poem is supposed to literally explain nothing about the game. So obviously statements from that don't actually make respawning canon.

With that we are left with characters vaguely mentioned and completely unrelated to the stories without feats and completely outside of the verse. Which already disqualifies them from any not completely ambitious profiles (not surprising given that the author made the poem ambitious on purpose).

Well, for one thing the player here is not supposed to be a fictional character, but the actual human is addressed. The poem basically takes place at the point where you are already leaving the story of the game and are supposed to begin spectating it from the view of a real world human again. That is btw. also the reason why Markus is mentioned in the poem, it refers to Markus Pesson aka notch who created the game.

And then we are not really talking about higher realities. The whole thing is a bit of a philosophical story that basically addresses games and stories real life people play as realities. In other words in regard to that story we are talking about minecraft as nothing than a game, likewise we are talking about the dreams as lower realities. Means as much as that the player in this regard is not supposed to be a god like entity. He is just supposed to be a human that dreams himself into stories not different than every other human does.

Hence the description "And the player moves through a story, which is a forest of information planted by a man called Julian, on a flat, infinite world created by a man called Markus, that exists inside a small, private world created by the player, who inhabits a universe created by..."

means as much as: You as the player moves through minecraft created by notch and imagines himself a small private world around minecraft. A story basically.

But that bring us also to the alien entities that speak the dialogue. They are the only characters that are really fictional characters in there. They are called the universe, but have not necessarily created it (the question who is is left open in the poem).

The fact that literally everything after the first part is supposed to be a fiction told by the entities and not the truth doesn't help here either.

All in all they seem to be supposed to be higher entites in regards to some perspective, though this perspective quite possibly is one of enlightment and not higher world existence, as the author mentioned that a moment of enlightment is what is supposed to be archieved by that scene.

Either way we do not know of their capabilities and as said at the beginning of this all of this is featless and ambitious, so I don't think we can rank them.

Back