• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mindhax Potency, But A Different Perspective

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The Mind Manipulation page says this.
Generally speaking, we judge the potency of Mind Manipulation both by what it can do and by how many people its user can affect at once with it. This may range from only a few people at a time to entire planetary populations.
Does the species that it affects matter?

Like do animals'/insects' minds have more/less potency required to affect them than humans?

Last edited:
Well taking humans as baseline is understandable, but anyless complicated lifeforms with simpler intelligence shouldn't be considered same potency as humans, since they should technically be easier to manipulate.

Well maybe bigger or comparable mammals can be considered same as humans, like dogs, cats, elephants, dolphins , whales etc.
I am fine with that.

From what I recall, there's no proper standard, so a new one would have to be done.
Currently we arbitrarily take that either way with no proper basis for case by case to begin with.
I would suggest just making as some basic criteria that it only counts for this kind of purposes if the ones being mindhaxed are just sapient, regardless of species.

Huh, this is interesting. We definitely need a standard for it since I've seen it treated one way or the other on some occasions.

> Does the species that it affects matter?

I would say so, for example in Star Wars Legends we haver stuff like Planel level mindhax and way more yet we have characters like Watto an Alien Resisting them, I very much doubt that Watto has Planet level resistance but his species just from a Biological standpoint have an inherent resistance to it.

"Im Toydarian Mind tricks don't work on me, Only Money"~ Watto

While in turn id assume more simplistic life would be easier to effect just based on how Cognition works.

I do think it would be a case to case thing.

In Discworld, the species matters a lot too.

Although I would say that it depends of how the verse treats it'

As general rule, I would say that if a character mind hax humans it can't mind hax (and viceverse) without feats or direct statements. Simple organism such bug may be considered mindless.

Okay, so if the character in question has shown the capability to affect humans and other intelligent lifeforms with his mind hax, would we then be able to count feats of him affecting animals and/or insects towards the numerical potency of his hax?

Back