• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Megamind Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryukama

Joke Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Alright. So Megamind's profile currently has him being scaled to Tighten who in turn is scaled to Metro Man, thus giving him FTL speed. To be blunt, this rating is built upon such a severe and fundamental misunderstanding of the film that it should be taken down immediately. Megamind does not in any way even remotely scale to Metro Man's speed, and literally the entire film's premise is built upon this simple fact. The actual FTL feat done by Metro Man is that he manages to have an entire day's worth of activity before Mega Mind can even finish a sentence. We're literally scaling Mega Mind to a feat where he gets blitzed. Not only blitzed, but probably one of the most severe examples of a character getting blitzed in fiction. It is also fundamental to the movie's plot for Megamind to be blitzed, because if he was able to see that Metro Man left the room and perceive that he was gone for (relatively) an entire day then he would've immediately known Metro Man faked his death. Additionally it claims that Megamind "with prep time" scales to Metro Man which also demonstrably untrue. Metro Man blitzed Megamind's ultimate weapon so badly, he was able to fly to another city block and come back before the weapon had even fully taken effect.

So what is the argument for him scaling when it's so blatant he doesn't? That he "kept up with" Tighten who has the same powers as Metro Man. This is also extremely flawed. Yes it is stated at one point Tighten got Metro Man's powers, but he performs no feats anywhere even remotely close to Metro Man's. He never uses this time freezing super speed at any point, even when he could've avoided losing if he did. There's even a scene where he panics at the fact that he accidentally drops someone, which makes no sense if he's supposedly at a level where falling objects are frozen to the point of having an entire day of activity before they even move. Worst of all, when Tighten thinks he sees Metro Man return, he is petrified with fear and instantly gives up his ambitions of a supervillain the second he sees his presence. That should be plenty of indication Tighten is not on the same level of Metro Man. Furthermore it was Megamind who devised the plan to pretend to be Metro Man and scare off Tighten. So even Megamind, the guy who "gave Tighten Metro Man's powers" in the first place, didn't think Tighten was truly on Metro Man's level. The most reasonable explanation for all of this is that Tighten did receive Metro Man's abilities of super strength, super speed, flight, heat vision, etc. but didn't get them on the same potency as Metro Man's.

In conclusion Megamind (and Tighten but especially Megamind) should have their speed downgraded, as it is very clear they do not scale to Metro Man's FTL feat.

Last edited:
I would love to see what logic the person who applied that scaling used.

That being said, I cannot see any world in which FTL Megamind makes sense. Tighten may have the same powers as Metro Man, but lacks the experience and skill, which is clear from how he doesn’t blitz Megamind.

Consider me in support.

The fact that this exists at all is pretty baffling, to say the least, but that aside, those proposals seem good to me.

Yeah I remember finding that incredibly odd when I looked at the profile. You can’t even make the argument that only Megamind’s equipment scales to Tighten since even without tech they very clearly have comparable combat speeds.

At least High 8-C or flat 8-B sounds good.

I have agreed with this for years; Tighten is also no where near fast as Metro Man. Even if he physically has all his superpowers, his mind is definitely a lot weaker and simple having his powers does not mean he knows how to use them. Especially in the speed department.

Agreed.
I assume the main reason it stayed for so long was because of Megamind making a suit to copy Metroman’s powers in Button of Doom, but he didn’t move that fast there either.

I've applied the changes to Megamind and Tighten.
That reminds me I need to calculate Metro Man's feat, that shit's easy MFTL+
I can't agree honestly. We see at one point light from a cloud break shine on Metroman and his shadow follows him as it would a normal person.

Scaling to the Death Ray probably leads to a FTL result though, but I don't know how correct MFTL+ is.

EDIT: Actually looking at the seen I don't think he statued the death ray. The explosion was frozen but the beam seemed to be moving.

Last edited:
He literally lives an entire day's life in one frame. I think shadows working normally can be considered a minor mistake by the animators.

I mean, Megamind's cameras are likely way better than normal ones. Besides, that was him stopping there and staring at MM, not just passing by.

I don't think he lives an entire day. There's no statement about it in his quote, the most I get from it is that he had so much time he could read an entire book after some soul searching and then move back in the semi-second between Megamind's monologue.
He likely read several books, and had some food, and keep in mind this is just an example of what he did, I don't think it's unreasonable to say it took at least a half day for him to reflect that much on his life.

He likely read several books,
I don't think so. The book he picks up in the Library is the same one he's reading in the diner. The transition scene could just be a book pile he past like with the child transition right before.
example of what he did, I don't think it's unreasonable to say it took at least a half day for him to reflect that much on his life.
I might be wrong about this but in terms of relative perception I think this should illustrate my idea
  • 10,000 Seconds / 60 / 60 = 2.78 Hours (Light would move 29,979.2458 meters in this time frame)
  • 100,000 Seconds / 60 / 60 = 27.78 Hours (Light would move 2,997.92458 meters in this timeframe)
  • 1,000,000 Seconds / 60 / 60 / 24 = 11.57 Days (Light would move 299.792458 meters in this timeframe)
  • 1,000,000,000 Seconds / 60 / 60 / 24 / 365.25 = 31.7 Years (Light would move 29.97 centimeters in this timeframe)
Everything occurring in a few dozen or hundred microseconds fits with what we're shown imo. Would explain the realistic shadows and the speed of the death ray, which was powered by solar energy and likely fired a semi-realistic laser.

I've always wondered how this was a Ftl feat also considering when metroman first uses his superspeed and opens the doors the light shines into the room filling it.

The light beam moves very slowly compared to MM, that already shows that the shadows are just an animation goof considering they'd have a delay of a couple seconds anyway. You can't expect a kid's cartoon to have that level of accuracy over relativistic speeds (which the feat would get anyway). I dunno if it's FTL, MFTL or MFTL+ but your arguments don't hold much weight for me.

Also, we literally know the timeframe, in one frame he's right behind Megamind (which remember, happened at the very beginning of his superspeed trip), then the next frame he's back where he's supposed to be. Of course that's a comparatively huge timeframe so I just realized the feat's gonna be kinda low.

Obviously he didn't move for the duration of the whole scene but he obviously could have so I'm gonna use athletic human speed and 9 hours, 32400 seconds x 7.7 = 249480 m : 0.0166 s = 15028915.66 m/s, Massively Hypersonic+

As for the beam feat...

It takes several seconds for the beam to pass by that roof so I'm just gonna assume light is moving at 0.5 m/s. MM is still able to fly pretty fast so I'm gonna lowball it as 7.7 m/s again, 7.7 : 0.5 = 15.4 c, FTL

... bleh, fair enough on that I suppose, unless there's something I'm missing.

By the way, he states he used superspeed, and there's a whole visual effect when he decides to activate it around his body, so I think it's fair to say it's an on and off kind of power.

1:39 the rays from the sun flood the room, I don't see how he's supposed to be moving faster than light here?

Because he isn't moving faster than light in that scene? He wasn't blitzing anyone, nor does he have reason to move at FTL speed. That's kind of a terrible argument

Because he isn't moving faster than light in that scene? He wasn't blitzing anyone, nor does he have reason to move at FTL speed. That's kind of a terrible argument
That made no sense, he literally had just activated his ability and everything else around him is seemingly frozen.

And? He doesn't always have to be moving at FTL. With your logic, pretty much anyone subsonic and above aren't actually that speed because they aren't always moving at it

And? He doesn't always have to be moving at FTL. With your logic, pretty much anyone subsonic and above aren't actually that speed because they aren't always moving at it
You're missing the point, he doesn't have any feats to support it. Where there's more evidence supporting it not being a ftl feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back