• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mcu What if…. equalization reversion

I know everyone’s been a bit iffy when it comes to this, mainly due to the inconsistency’s in the timelines besides the base nexus point that we know of. Which tbh doesn’t really matter, especially in relation to power lvls. The what if series at its core is putting the same characters we know,love and hate in brand new situations based off of the alternate choices they make (or the multivrese I guess).

“What If…?” flips the script on the MCU, reimagining famous events from the films in unexpected ways. Marvel Studios’ first animated series focuses on different heroes from the MCU, featuring a voice cast that includes a host of stars who reprise their roles. Directed by Bryan Andrews”

https://www.marvel.com/tv-shows/animation/what-if/1

This is further reinstated with the very intro of the show

There power and abilities stay the same unless the episode is specifically on said powers like dark dr strange or infinity ultron. This is further shown when the screenwriters explain how thanos lost to ultron

"And I'm sure there are probably hundreds of universes where Thanos steps out of that gate to see the Infinity Ultron and he just destroys that droid. That was one particular story that played out that one specific way to allow this certain thing to be achieved. And for that to happen, I think that particular Thanos just maybe was a little bit full of hubris. He didn't check where he was going in advance and he was a little ill-prepared, but I don't think that means that's the only way that particular situation ever played out by a longshot."

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-thanos-death-mcu-what-if

Thanos wasn’t magical weaker, he was simply overconfident. They even state in other timelines he basically folded ultron with the right mindset. This is also further empathized with the statement below

“Well, I think Thanos is pretty badass on his own. And I think it's important for everyone to remember that it's infinite possibilities. So yes, there are universes where Thanos maybe didn't get his act together and isn't quite as badass as we thought. Or he was on the verge and was defeated in a different way. I'm sure there's a universe where Thor aimed for the head."

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-thanos-death-mcu-what-if

It’s even been straight up stated that they intended the variants to be equal to there mainline counter parts

So as you can see, it’s clear that the writers intend these variants to be equal to there mainline counter parts unless the story is made to change that.

Now as to why there are other continuity errors in the show besides the nexus event? It’s probably due to the fact we are seeing other variants of the original nexus point. First they deviate from the main timeline creating a nexus timeline then it starts to create infinte variations of said nexus timeline. We even visual see a bit of this when the multiverse is freed in Loki

While the main nexus event might have been say tony slept on the wrong side of the bed, there can be other nexus timelines branching off of that with there own variations and still have the same main nexus event. Like for example, tony could have slept on the wrong side of the bed in timeline 1 but in timeline 2 that still happens plus his late for work. This is even kind of stated when going back to a previous statement further

"And I'm sure there are probably hundreds of universes where Thanos steps out of that gate to see the Infinity Ultron and he just destroys that droid. That was one particular story that played out that one specific way to allow this certain thing to be achieved. And for that to happen, I think that particular Thanos just maybe was a little bit full of hubris. He didn't check where he was going in advance and he was a little ill-prepared, but I don't think that means that's the only way that particular situation ever played out by a longshot."

So as you can see there should be no reason not to be able to scale mainline characters to there variants

edit 1: WoG deletion

Last edited:
Boy

What have you done

YOU LITERALLY USED THE SCAN WE TOLD YOU NOT TO USE BECAUSE IT WAS A LEADING QUESTION.

WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS.

despair_hollow.png

MCU What Ifs should be handled as we do all other alternate universes for DC and Marvel: Scaling a What If to the main timeline is fine, but the reverse isn't without solid justification for it.

Not every version of Thor is going to be Tier 6 and not every version of Iron Man will be Tier 8. To upgrade characters based off of fests from canonically different versions of themselves just isn't a thing a agree with.

The directed question that we outright told you before can't be used as a justification also isn't evidence for backscaling.

Boy

What have you done

YOU LITERALLY USED THE SCAN WE TOLD YOU NOT TO USE BECAUSE IT WAS A LEADING QUESTION.

WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS.

despair_hollow.png
Because I finally found and looked at the actual rules and it looked fine. Idk we’re the whole “intention” thing came from in the last thread

MCU What Ifs should be handled as we do all other alternate universes for DC and Marvel: Scaling a What If to the main timeline is fine, but the reverse isn't without solid justification for it.

Not every version of Thor is going to be Tier 6 and not every version of Iron Man will be Tier 8. To upgrade characters based off of fests from canonically different versions of themselves just isn't a thing a agree with.

The directed question that we outright told you before can't be used as a justification also isn't evidence for backscaling.
I just gave soild justifcation

probably true due to certain events in different timelines

it should be fine going by the rules in the editing rules.

it should be fine going by the rules in the editing rules.

Well, not just wanking their favorite
characters and verses, but also downplaying verses opposite of their favorites. But this is off topic and shouldn't be on this thread.

I agree with SD, that making CRT regarding verses and addressing those author statements is a better idea. Although, that has often led to even more problems

You ask a pointed question to an author for the sole reason of an upgrade. Such a thing was brought up immediately when the original WoG rework was proposed and the mods there agreed such statements should be looked at harshly.

The statement just isn't useable. The rest of your stuff still involves canonically different people with demonstrably different levels of strength. The main universe backscaling to What If just isn't useable in my view without healthy evidence that it's identical like Strange Supreme.

You ask a pointed question to an author for the sole reason of an upgrade. Such a thing was brought up immediately when the original WoG rework was proposed and the mods there agreed such statements should be looked at harshly.

The statement just isn't useable. The rest of your stuff still involves canonically different people with demonstrably different levels of strength. The main universe backscaling to What If just isn't useable in my view without healthy evidence that it's identical like Strange Supreme.
Ok and? In the same thread your citing all the mods agreed that the current rules are sufficient enough. Said current rules don’t have anything stated the type of questions I should be asking nor my intentions.

it is and the other statments I’ve posted backed it up further cementing. Already explained why them being canonical different is irrelevant, unless said episode address or is about it. So heathy evdince aren’t multiple WoG statements pointing to the same thing? Or just the general plot of the show

Ok and? In the same thread your citing all the mods agreed that the current rules are sufficient enough.
Sufficient enough for a general rule, not for targeted quotes or statements used to upgrade (or downgrade) a verse.
Already explained why them being canonical different is irrelevant,
It is relevant as they're different characters that can branch off from different points on different universes.

As I said last time this was brought up, I'm against backscaling since all of these characters have inconsistencies or notable changes about them, even for minor secondary characters in most of these universes.

Sufficient enough for a general rule, not for targeted quotes or statements used to upgrade (or downgrade) a verse.

It is relevant as they're different characters that can branch off from different points on different universes.

As I said last time this was brought up, I'm against backscaling since all of these characters have inconsistencies or notable changes about them, even for minor secondary characters in most of these universes.
Why not, why do I have to tip toe my way around the actual question I want to ask?

Ya and there powers and characters(in a sense) are the same.

Inconsistencies and changes in terms of what?

Well apparently I can’t ask a direct questions on it considering this “rule” so idk
Asking a question in of itself is fine. Plenty of quotes gotten for stuff comes from fans asking questions.

Asking intentionally leading questions to get an answer you want for an upgrade/downgrade is not okay, which is what you did. It's why when it was brought up last time multiple people told you it wasn't allowed.

Aren't a lot of the WI characters already scaled to their MCU counterparts?
Yes but not the other way around aside feom strange though his scaling is very specifc and had what if go out of their way in details with him being the exact same in all regards to his sacred timeline counterpart

I think that, unless a WI character is shown to have been given a boost above their MCU counterparts, the scaling between them is possible.

What about Captain Marvel's WI feat? She should scale in canon to that since it took place between CM and Endgame.

What about Captain Marvel's WI feat? She should scale in canon to that since it took place between CM and Endgame.
Don't want to get into that even if that's consistent with a lot of other things sacred timeline or not, know it wouldn't work out trust us we tried and that's a whole rabbit hole on its own

Plus CM is the only one with consistency like that aside from strange but we don't accept hers since stuff changed all over in her world aside from her tbh but still

The feat was also performed in a universe with multiple other unrelated changes to the core setting, like Gamora being alive despite Thanos having the Timestone or Xandar being undamaged.

I think that, unless a WI character is shown to have been given a boost above their MCU counterparts, the scaling between them is possible.
The characters are just different people. They come from alternate universes and the situation is no different from the comic What If versions, which we don't backscale to their 616 counterparts without solid evidence.

Private messaging an author to wank your favorite vs series should be frowned upon a little bit more.
So any and all WoG from social media then?

Asking a question in of itself is fine. Plenty of quotes gotten for stuff comes from fans asking questions.

Asking intentionally leading questions to get an answer you want for an upgrade/downgrade is not okay, which is what you did. It's why when it was brought up last time multiple people told you it wasn't allowed.
How is it wrong for me to ask a simple yes or no question? Agian do I have to dance around my actual question for it to be valid?

Since when? And if I can’t ask direct questions then am I just supposed to add unnecessary stuff to my question to make it sound better?
I believe it's the intent for upgrades being why you asked that's the problem

Say if a random journalist asked this unrealted to the wiki and this was the response given and put in an article then that'd be fair game if we found that and used it as a source

I believe it's the intent for upgrades being why you asked that's the problem

Say if a random journalist asked this unrealted to the wiki and this was the response given and put in an article then that'd be fair game if we found that and used it as a source
Ok, that’s pretty dumb tbh. Intent of the questioner should not be a factor for on weather or not a statement is accepted. Especially when I’m sure sone of the accepted WoG here was asked so it could be used for there own purposes

Since when?
Unofficially always, officially since WoG was revised when multiple mods in that staff thread mentioned a CRT would handle leading questions for the sake of an upgrade or downgrade.

It's why multiple people told you it wasn't allowed. It's always been at least an unofficial rule because if it wasn't you'd have random people just tweet at somebody tangentially related to a project until they got an answer they liked and used it for an upgrade or downgrade.
Intent of the questioner should not be a factor for on weather or not a statement is accepted.
It totally should be a factor. That and the question itself.

Unofficially always, officially since WoG was revised when multiple mods in that staff thread mentioned a CRT would handle leading questions for the sake of an upgrade or downgrade.

It's why multiple people told you it wasn't allowed. It's always been at least an unofficial rule because if it wasn't you'd have random people just tweet at somebody tangentially related to a project until they got an answer they liked and used it for an upgrade or downgrade.

It totally should be a factor. That and the question itself.
You mean when it be handled by a “case by case” basis? That dosen’t really make this whole intent thing officially.

you can literally do that with any type of question

it shouldn’t, I’m sure most of the people in the WoG’s that we’re accepted weren’t exactly asking out of curiosity.

Naw, @Qawsedf234 is right, we no longer accept leading questions for upgrades and downgrades.
So I have no clue why are you still arguing for.

Did I say this? You did not even link a thread for that. You did not even clarify which tweets?
Don't play as victim, if you have an evidence, you can freely downgrade the verse. We are nowhere treating your verse unfair.

Did I say this? You did not even link a thread for that. You did not even clarify which tweets?
Don't play as victim, if you have an evidence, you can freely downgrade the verse. We are nowhere treating your verse unfair.
No you implied it. Fair enough, I was refreeing to the god of war verse and there WoG from the seniors or whatever.
Ok and why exactly is this whole leading question thing not made an actual official rule

Damn, it is self-evident what you said. It is a leading question. It means you are asking a source for information that you can use in a project until they give you the information you need.

Read this for more info

Editing rules regarding author statements

Back