• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matter Manipulation

So there are various kinds of matter manip...like molecular bind breaking, atomic bond breaking, transmutation......and and then all the quantum stuff for more intricate stuff.

Energy Manipulation.

This also has various usages.....but one I am focusing on is this.....
So basically I was thinking shouldn't matter to energy conversion be matter manip If we give energy to matter conversion as energy manip....

If we do....what lvl of matter manip would it be?

I have been informed below that it is Macro-Quantum level of Matter Manipulation, for converting particles of matter to energy and energy being made out of photons.

So basically new ability would roughly in principle look like:-

Conversion of matter to energy :- Macro Quantum Level.

Also should either direction of conversion get matter and energy manip both listed at the same time as relevant abilities on the page of any character that performs it??

Also is there any ramifications on Weak Forces, Nuclear Forces and Electro-Magnetic forces due to this?? Since this goes well below Neutrons, Electrons and stuff where such forces are relevant.

---------------------×-------------------×---------------------

Also what would "mass" manipulation be if such ability existed?? Since mass has more to do with...well this---
"Mass is both a property of a physical body and a measure of its resistance to acceleration (rate of change of velocity with respect to time) when a net force is applied.[1] An object's mass also determines the strength of its gravitational attraction to other bodies."

-From Mass-Wikipedia

Last edited:
The addition of the Mass-Energy Conversion as a method for the use of Matter Manipulation sounds fair.

It's would be macro-quantum in level, as matter is annihilated into photons/gamma rays when converted into energy.

For Mass Manipulation, there is a already a page for Density Manipulation, which is pretty correlated to it and is often used in relation.

Also, I forgot to point out this:
But in fiction, most often than not, this is not actually matter-to-energy conversion. The vast majority of the time is just a fancy way for the characters to make constructs out energy/magic, solid evidence for those instances to be E=MC^2 feats must be proven.

Mostly when it comes to calculations trying to rate those instances.

Yeah....I think wiki tackled this e=mc² stuff for creation in creation thread.....it may lead to VERY inflated calcs even for small objects such as creating sword and stuff....
I heard you can get Gigaton lvls of yield off of doing a mass energy conversion for small car....
Even water creation has thread going on to yeet it.....
So yeah...I understand why not to do that...😅

I mean, this is a Q&A thread so I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss a possible revision. You can ask some of them individually to be sure.

I mean, this is a Q&A thread so I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss a possible revision. You can ask some of them individually to be sure.
Hmm well maybe shift this to CRT section then.....maybe it will get more attention that way.

I already asked Dont Talk DT...but he hasn't responded yet.

Newendigo makes sense to me as well. This seems pretty straightforward, but do we need to update any of our instruction page definitions? In that case I need to ask DontTalk for help.

I mean one of the pages in the wiki that explain our standard conventions.

Oh okay.....

Well how do we proceed from here??

Will you tag Don'tTalkDT?
Since he is our resident expert on these sciencey haxxes.....

@DontTalkDT

Do you think that some text about this needs to be added to one of our standards instructions pages?

Personally, I think that if anybody lists only matter manipulation on a profile for a matter-energy conversion ability, without a proper explanation, clearly tries to be misleading. And if one adds the appropriate explanation it really doesn't matter whether one lists it as matter/energy/transmutation or whatever ability.

However, I guess for the sake of formality we can add "Converting matter into energy can be listed as matter manipulation, but an appropriate explanation regarding the scope of the ability should be given." to the overview section of matter manipulation.
In my opinion, it shouldn't be its own level on the scale nor associated with one. Like, you can convert matter into energy by spawning very macroscopic chunks of anti-matter. It's IMO independent of the scale in total and just a pretty separate thing.

Okay. As usual, I trust your excellent sense of judgement.

Personally, I think that if anybody lists only matter manipulation on a profile for a matter-energy conversion ability, without a proper explanation, clearly tries to be misleading. And if one adds the appropriate explanation it really doesn't matter whether one lists it as matter/energy/transmutation or whatever ability.

However, I guess for the sake of formality we can add "Converting matter into energy can be listed as matter manipulation, but an appropriate explanation regarding the scope of the ability should be given." to the overview section of matter manipulation.
In my opinion, it shouldn't be its own level on the scale nor associated with one. Like, you can convert matter into energy by spawning very macroscopic chunks of anti-matter. It's IMO independent of the scale in total and just a pretty separate thing.
Well fair enough....I can understand it being .....like "umbrella" I guess with potency of manipulation depending on case by case.

But my gripe is that the page not only describes matter manip types but also serves as a guideline to determine the potency of manipulation in fiction, what I mean is if you know the classifications on the page...you can use that judge what lvl of matter manip you can encounter in a comic, manga whatever the work of fiction is.

Now granted it can be pretty obvious most of the time which type of matter manip is being done.....most of them are easy to classify even by a glance.
But for conversion this does not seem viable....

So how is one to determine the potency of matter manip in conversion case??
Some informal guidelines would be nice.

@DontTalkDT

So are you willing to apply your suggestions here?

Well fair enough....I can understand it being .....like "umbrella" I guess with potency of manipulation depending on case by case.

But my gripe is that the page not only describes matter manip types but also serves as a guideline to determine the potency of manipulation in fiction, what I mean is if you know the classifications on the page...you can use that judge what lvl of matter manip you can encounter in a comic, manga whatever the work of fiction is.

Now granted it can be pretty obvious most of the time which type of matter manip is being done.....most of them are easy to classify even by a glance.
But for conversion this does not seem viable....

So how is one to determine the potency of matter manip in conversion case??
Some informal guidelines would be nice.
You can't really judge the potency of other matter manip the character has by the conversion ability. So it usually wouldn't be sorted into one of the types due to that.
And the conversion abilities potency would be judged by the amount of matter converted, which is something that can be mentioned on the characters page.

@DontTalkDT

So are you willing to apply your suggestions here?
Sure.

Thank you for helping out DontTalk. I appreciate it.

So is it fine if I close this thread now, or is there something left to do here?

Status
Not open for further replies.