• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Master Chief vs Commander Shepard

A duel between two of the most decorated and celebrated space marines of modern shooters.

For this fight it takes place in an arena littered with ammo and weapons for both combatants (including the Spartan laser and the M-920 Cain). Shepard is the default male (John, Earthborn and Sole Survivor) of the Soldier Class and both start off with a set of initial weapons. For the Chief he gets the MA5C Assault rifle and M60 Magnum along wih some grenades. Shepard an N7 set of weapons, namely N7 Valkyrie rifle, Eagle pistol, Crusader Shotgun, Valient Sniper Rifle

For armour Chief has the Mark VI MJONILR and Shepard has the N7 Defender

Who does everyone think wins? I'm casting my vote with Shepard due to his more useful abilities

I think Shepard's abilities are useful too, likely more so in a battle than Chief's. (Lot of good that jetpack will do you in the open)

However, if I recall, Master Chief is a better marksman and his armor would prevent most gunfire that Shepard can deal, right?

If that's the case, it would be just wittling down Shepard or finding a way to evetually hurt Chief. But we're dealing with a pretty good version of Shepard here... and good gear. Any proof that his weapons could pierce his armor? I haven't played much Mass Effect recently.

Are there only UNSC weapons on the battlefield? Or are there Covenant and Forerunner weapons as well?

I would say that yes Covenant weapons are included, however, it should be pointed out that Shepard's gear is certainly nothing to laugh at, remember that his armour and shields tank blows from Mass Effect enhaced technology all the time, which fire bullets at relativistic speeds (Shepard's own weapons also have this property). Additionally Shepard has multiple ammo powers, most importantly the Disruptor ammo, which would cetainly make mincemeat of Chief's shields

I agree. i just looked at his M-920, but isn't that a weapon he only gets in the story once and never again? It's not like he can use all the time, right?

For example, when I made Atyom's page, I mentioned how he used rockets to nuke The Dark Ones' hive. Impressive and powerful, but not a thing he uses all the time, and therefore shouldn't be taken out of context and give to him to equate for power. I think the same should be with Shepard, and Chief, for any weaponm like that.

SoyHop said:
I agree. i just looked at his M-920, but isn't that a weapon he only gets in the story once and never again? It's not like he can use all the time, right?
For example, when I made Atyom's page, I mentioned how he used rockets to nuke The Dark Ones' hive. Impressive and powerful, but not a thing he uses all the time, and therefore shouldn't be taken out of context and give to him to equate for power. I think the same should be with Shepard, and Chief, for any weaponm like that.
He's capable of using it any time in Mass Effect 2, although in 3 it was only used once for storyline purposes. Given that we're allowing Chief the Spartan laser it seems only fair that Shepard should also get the Cain

One shot from the Binary Rifle or the Incineration Cannon would reduce Shepard to light particles in a second.

WeeklyBattles said:
One shot from the Binary Rifle or the Incineration Cannon would reduce Shepard to light particles in a second.
True, but the same could be said of most of Shepard's heavy weapons as well

Hard to say. Still Shepard is still just a human. Even if he got the spectre status and all that jazz he is still a human. Chief on the other hand is a superhuman. From my experience Halo verse shields regenerate much faster than Mass effect verse.

If we go purely by feats then Chief wins but if not then it's a debate between who has the more powerful weapons. Chief would decimate Shepard in hand-to-hand combat. I don't know if ME weapons could destroy Mjolnir armor but Chief's weapons probably could destroy Sheapards. For me it comes down to who gets either of the OP Heavy weapons (Spartan laser and Cain) first. It's game over for the other after then.

Still i have to say that Chief wins

Hmm, okay. i think I'm fine with that, it makes sense to me.

Now let's get to power and abilities. I know most of Chief's thanks to my buddy forcing the games down my thoat in 2012. What does Shepard have?

Specficially, to hurt or negate any of Chief's.

Vajra Avalon said:
Hard to say. Still Shepard is still just a human. Even if he got the spectre status and all that jazz he is still a human. Chief on the other hand is a superhuman. From my experience Halo verse shields regenerate much faster than Mass effect verse.
If we go purely by feats then Chief wins but if not then it's a debate between who has the more powerful weapons. Chief would decimate Shepard in hand-to-hand combat. I don't know if ME weapons could destroy Mjolnir armor but Chief's weapons probably could destroy Sheapards. For me it comes down to who gets either of the OP Heavy weapons (Spartan laser and Cain) first. It's game over for the other after then.

Still i have to say that Chief wins
Actually Shepard is not entirely human, recall the Lazurus project gave Shepard several cybernetic upgrades, which increased his strength, speed and so on. He's been shown to out-muscle Krogan and the ability to destroy Geth units with melee attacks

Yojimbo1989 said:
WeeklyBattles said:
True, but the same could be said of most of Shepard's heavy weapons as well
A light rifle killed an elite zealot in one hit, and lower ranked elites can tank rocket launchers IIRC

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Chief or another Spartan II tank a shot from a fuel rod cannon and survived. This is from one of the Halo books.

SoyHop said:
Hmm, okay. i think I'm fine with that, it makes sense to me.
Now let's get to power and abilities. I know most of Chief's thanks to my buddy forcing the games down my thoat in 2012. What does Shepard have?

Specficially, to hurt or negate any of Chief's.
For the Soldier Class Shepard has a multitude of ammo powers, which last indefinietely until the end of a mission in gameplay or until Shepard replaces it with a different ammo power. The ammo powers in question for the Soldier class are Armour-Piercing ammo, which as the name implies deals increased damage to armoured targets. Cryo ammo which has a chance of freezing targets. Incendiary ammo which sets targets on fire for increased damage, burns through armour and which halts regenerative capabilities, it can also cause intermitant explosions. Most useful though is the Disruptor ammo that empowers weapons with an electric field, which causes heavy damage to shields, and causes weapons to overheat.

He also has concussive blast which is a high powered single shot round. He also has access to an ability called "Adrenaline Rush." When he activates this ability his reflexes, shield strength and damage capabilities are boosted dramatically. To the Soldier's point of view, time has slowed down, allowing them to take better shots at their opponents or avoid certain death.

As I mentioned to Vajra Avalon he also has several cybernetic upgrades that enhace Shepard's physical attributes

I think Shepard's abilities outclass Chief's armor. (Or amour if you prefer)

However, doesn't Cheif have all those superhuman feats all the time? Such as his reflexes and ways to stop (energy) shield regen?

He survived a fuel rod cannon shot once, which can incinerat a spartan (An 8-C level feat)

He fought hand to hand with Brutes and killed them, brutes can take entire clips of ammo (So his striking strength are in the dozens to hundreds of kilojoules range)

I agree that Chief has the advantage in terms of close quarters combat thanks to his greater physical strength, but I would say that Shepard has the speed and durability to deal with it. His movement speed is around Supersonic (Hypersonic w. Adrenaline rush) and not only is he capable of tanking blows from weapons of similar power of his own, but he also took a direct hit from a laser fired by the largest and most powerful of all Reapers and survived, the same laser that destroyed massive starships, which is around multi-city block level. Should Shepard get into a fistfight with the Chief that wouldn't be enough to kill Shepard given his speed, durability and training. Shepard would also figure out that engaging Chief in a fistfight would lead to him losing and he'd seek to keep things as a gunfight, of which his abilities would allow him to do

Master Chief is also hypersonic as he can react to Tank Shells (Which go at mach 5 speeds)

Is there any official numbers on Sheppard's weapons?

SoyHop said:
That makes sense. So we should leave this to a gunfire?
...or should I say... a firefight? (PUNS)
It might not be a firefight for the entire fight, it might come down to CQC at some point but Shepard would learn from the encounter and seek to keep Chief at bay.

FanofRPGs said:
Master Chief is also hypersonic as he can react to Tank Shells (Which go at mach 5 speeds)
Is there any official numbers on Sheppard's weapons?
I mentioned this previously Shepard's weapons use Mass Effect technology to increase the speed of bullets fired from the weapons to relativistic speeds, let me see if I can find a source for this

Is there Forerunner weapons in the area?

Forerunner weapons can incinerate hunters, that takes 45.3323279 tons of TNT (More than the FOAB) to do so

A standard Forerunner rifle one shotted an Elite Zealot

WeeklyBattles said:
Can the Emp from the Plasma Pistol do anything to Shepard?
Doubtful, Shepard's barriers/shields have tanked blows from Geth Spitfire which is a high-tech plasma version of the minigun

Yojimbo1989 said:
WeeklyBattles said:
Can the Emp from the Plasma Pistol do anything to Shepard?
Doubtful, Shepard's barriers/shields have tanked blows from Geth Spitfire which is a high-tech plasma version of the minigun
the Geth plasma shotgun is electrically charged, a codex entry states that the energy overloads the shields, causing immediate failure, so no, his shield can't and havent tanked a fully charged GPS, its too much for them to handle, the plasma pistol is also too much for shep to handle, it's EMP can stop tanks in dead movement and drop shields which are stronger than KBs

IMO shepard wins this one since MC has no Forerunner weapons

But halo destroys Mass Effect

FanofRPGs said:
IMO shepard wins this one since MC has no Forerunner weapons
But halo destroys Mass Effect
and a supersoldier with superior training, skills, armor and equipment with a lifetime experience in combat loses to a non-biotic shep how? he can't, shep is under armored, and undertrained compared to him. he doesn't have his biotics to level the playing field, its just straigh up normie shep, and 12 outta 10 times depending on the OP MC usually destroyes Shep

KaenDragneel123 said:
I want to talk about both equipment
But... Isn't Shepard faster than Chief?
They could be considered equal in terms of raw speed, however Shepard can increase his own with Adrenaline Rush

Chief is Faster Than Eye

Shepard is at least Supersonic+

Chief's reactions would not work in close combat against Shepard

KaenDragneel123 said:
I want to talk about both equipment
But... Isn't Shepard faster than Chief?
As for the equipment, I would say that Shepard also has the superior weaponry, as his strongest heavy weapons are town level (plus this thread was created before Chief gained nuclear weapons). Although Chief has only Covenant and Human weapons, although Forerunner or Promethian weapons shouldn't make much difference

Back