• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Massive Bravely Default Revisions + 2 Questions that might be highlight worthy.

Credit goes to Glassman via half of this, and some of these are duplicates myself and glass might have forgotten to take out.

Most of these abilities overlap and this is just clarification on the jobs more than anything. Some new, some clarifications.

Bravely Defaults Job Abilities

Freelancer:

Information Analysis (via Examine [Can analyze the enemy's info, such as weakness, family, and health.])

Probability manipulation (via Prayer)

High resistance to Poisons (via Poison Immunity)

Power Mimicry (via Mimic [Imitates the previous attack of the foe.])

???? (Stand Ground) Neither glass and I have no clue what to be put this as, but I think can survive an OHK once is fair.

Monk:

Statistics Amplification Durability Negation (via Pressure point)

Thief

Expert Thievery

Durability Negation (via Godspeed Strike)

Merchant:

Mind Manipulation (via numerous ways to make the enemy give the user money)

Absorption (via Big Pharma)

Spell Fencer:

Attack reflection (via Firewall)

Power absorption (via Auto-Aspir Blade)

Time Mage:

Time manipulation (in the form of speeding up with haste, slowing down with slow, stopping time with stop, and time rewind with time slip.)

Regenerationn (via regen, we should downgrade from high-low to mid low, no one has ever regenerated a limb iirc)

Teleportation (via teleport)

Gravity manipulation (via gravity)

Summoner:

Summoning and Elemental Manipulation

Red Mage

Attack Reflection

Spirit Master

Absorption (Can absorb elemental attacks)

Etc:

High Resistance to Time Stop, Empathic Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Paralysis, Sleep Inducement and Blindness

Stat Amping

Dark Knight

The more damage he suffers, his magical and physical attacks become stronger

Bravely Second Job Abilities
Fencer

Counter (Can instantly counter a physical attack with one of his own.)

Bishop

Perfect Invulnerability via Calm (Can't take any damage from an attack, physical, magical in nature, albeit it also means attacks you deal do not do any damage)

Catmancer

Patissier

Status Effect Inducement via Bon Appetit grant (Poison Manipulation, Sleep Manipulation, Power Nullification, Empathic Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Paralysis)

OHK (Can instantly kill an opponent.)

Exorcist

Limited Causality Manipulation (Can undo an opponent's health, actions, and magic power)

Non-Corporeal via Ectoplasm (Can enter a ghost-like state when killed where he cannot be damaged, however, he can only use magical technique)

Guardia

Limited Soul Manipulation (Can attack with their soul)

Yokai

Limited Conceptual Manipulation (The seven deadly sins are the embodiments of humanity's desires. They grant the following: Power Mimicry, Berserk Mode, Life Manipulation, Nullification to Attack Reflection, Damage Absorption)

The Questions!

Note for Exorcist: It seems it is a variant on time manipulation in game, but it has conflicting abilities in game and in the story

In the story,
https://youtu.be/GWj-7QMTeZw?t=576 9:36

"I will make it as if it never happened."

https://youtu.be/_Fw2ZB5uLRM?t=1330 22:20

"Every strike, every wound it will be as if it never happened."

In game, it has been described by altair as the following.

https://youtu.be/_Fw2ZB5uLRM?t=1377 22: 55

"His power of undoing is, in essence, a localized manipulation of time."

Is he right in the question? Geist makes it seem like it is causality manipulation, Altair says it is time manipulation.

In gameplay, he has the ability undo actions as well as restore health and magic power to previous states.

That is why I listed it as Limited Causality Manipulation, as it does require a cast time as considering how it works.

But the question is if we consider this to be fair.

Note for Yokai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvDFMJzaPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWqqO942wQ

Yoko can summon the seven deadly sins and they all provide effects, but they seem to be very similar to the above abilities as, like most JRPGS, some abilities will repeat twice.

Despite this, in game, they are described as the manifestation of humanity's desire and it does not go beyond that, despite in-game attacks.

I think limited conceptual manipulation or just getting rid of the ability entirely for now is the best choice.

I would love to be fact-checked on Exorcist and Yokai abilities in particular.

Freelancer - Remove percentages, those are purely game mechanics. Information Analysis, Resistance to Poison Manipulation, Probability Manipulation, and Stand Ground all seem fine (the latter we'll just specify and explain)

Monk - Invigorate is fine, but I don't count passive abilities like HP +30% due to the fact that hit points are purely numerical game mechanics. I probably left out Inner Chakra since it's redundant when compared to Esuna. I already mentioned Pressure Point on the profile.

White Mage - All of those are specified on the profiles already, but you're getting Dispel wrong. It doesn't nullify Power Nullification, it is Power Nullification by annulling stat boosts.

Black Mage - All of these should have been mentioned on the profiles already.

I'll have to go through these in total later, I'm working on another profile right now.

@Repp, removed the big ones

Edit: Removed most if not all duplicates and now the ones that are to be debated are still there.

Bravely Default

Thief - I'm not sure if Thievery is a power, but I suppose it could be added. Godspeed Strike should be fine (can't believe I missed this).

Merchant - Those should be alright.

Spell Fencer -No to Attack Reflection. It's just an auto-counter ability. It doesn't actually reflect the spell. Absorption via Aspir should be fine.

Time Mage - I could have sworn I added all the time related abilities already. Regen should be alright. Weird how I didn't add Teleportion or Gravity Manipulation to Powers and Abilities when I added it to categories.

Red Mage - Again, no to Attack Reflection.

Spirit Master - Absorption should be fine. Resistances should be okay. DO NOT use the term "High Resistance" since Resistance is relative.

Bravely Second
Fencer - Auto-Counter abilities sound fine.

Bishop - Not "invulnerability". Calm and Stillness negate the damage component of all attacks for a short period of time. Another thing to explain rather than try to link to a powers page.

Patissier - Shouldn't Status Effect Inducement already be listed? But yeah, I suppose we should list the specifics. Death Manipulation should be added to I suppose.

Exorcist - It's never actually explained what Undo is, so we probably shouldn't speculate. Non-Corporeality is iffy, since the characters definitely have a True Body, they can just manipulate their spirit if that body is killed.

Guardian - Soul Manipulation is probably fine.

Yokai - It'd be best to specify, yes.

However, I don't know if we should constantly relist powers that are the same like Status Effect Inducement. It would be better just to add the things I missed. I also wouldn't mind going through the profiles and reorganizing the abilities by job to make them clearer, since it's kind of a mess (which is totally my fault).

It's probably best to list the ability as whatever the game says it is, since it's a plot point that SP is used to disrupt Undo's effects.

Would the profiles being composites be actually fair?

The games dont allow the characters to have more than two jobs equipped at once.

Marco Shark said:

The games dont allow the characters to have more than two jobs equipped at once.
They always been composites

And that is probably just game mechanics

Link and Mario can only use a few items at a time, but on here and basically website I have been too considers a 'composite' argument with all items, abilities etc etc.

KinkiestSins said:
Marco Shark said:

They always been composites
And that is probably just game mechanics

Link and Mario can only use a few items at a time, but on here and basically website I have been too considers a 'composite' argument with all items, abilities etc etc.
^^^^^

@Marco

Freelancer classes allow you to use the abilities of any of the other classes.

So yes, they're fair.

Everything that we have a page for and is not already on the profiles is fine.

Undo is really good short-term time reversal.

I just want to avoid redundancies so we're not posting the same type of ability on the profiles multiple times.

Thievery is a skill, not a power or an ability that we have a page for.

Generally speaking, if its not specifically explained in-game why an RPG character can't be multiple classes at once, we tend to composite the profiles and chalk up the in-game Class system to Gameplay Mechanics.

So from what we've gathered, we can add:

Information analysis

Probability manipulation

power nullification

teleportation

gravity manipulation

OHK

Empathic manipulation

Is there any other ability that I'm missing??

Back