• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel: Human Torch Revision

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
So the Human Torch has a bunch of issues present on his file, namely tiering-based, so let's get on with it.

Human Torch's Low 6-B calc

Now we move on to issue #4. Johnny creates a tornado that carries Namor and the carcass of his sea monster from NYC to the deepest part of the ocean (Marianas Trench):

http://i.imgur.com/mB8q6Gh.jpg

In a much later issue, Johnny revealed that he could keep his powers activated for 20 minutes at most (it was probably earlier way back here, but I'll use 20 minutes to be conservative). He would have had to spend at most 10 minutes getting there and 10 minutes going back, or else his flame would have worn out over the ocean and he would have fallen in. I already calculated the distance in the FF thread using the latlong calculator: 13,120 km. Traveling this in 10 minutes equals a speed of 21.86666667 km/s, or Mach 64.25891641. He also carried the monster and Namor in the tornado at this speed. The size of the monster was a bit inconsistent, but I can scale it from this scan:

I'll start by scaling the torso of this guy in the lifeboat. According to this article, the average height of an American man in 1962 (the year this issue came out) was 68.3 inches (1.73482 m). The torso and head are 45% of the body height, so I measured 0.780669 m. Using this to scale the width of the lifeboat, I got 1.67371137 m. You can see the lifeboats on the deck of the ship in the earlier panel, and using this I measured the width of the ship towards the aft at 57.66955166 m. Using the middle panel to scale again, I got the height of the monster's head as a whopping 2.67202256 km (and this is a lowball, since it was in the background).

I scaled the creature's total length as 14.20141297 km:

Estimating its volume as a cone (inaccurate but it's the best I could think of), I get 26,544,859,100 m^3.

Assuming its density is around the same as a human body (probably a lowball - this thing's flesh remained largely intact after a nuke went off inside it), at 1062 kg/m^3 I get a mass of 2.819064037e13 kg. I can't find an easy way to scale them, but taking the creature's limbs into account I figure we can add 10% to that (lowball), to get 3.10097044e13 kg. Now the entire tornado was moving, so I'll scale that too. Treating it as a conical frustum (approximating the scaling here, as the whole thing isn't on-panel), I get the following figures:

Base diameter: 3.630854646 km
Top diameter: 11.44408614 km
Height = 15.16686115 km

Using the calculator, I get a volume of 737,362,387,000 m^3. Subtracting the volume of the monster + 10% of that for the limbs (and ignoring Namor, because despite the perspective oddity in the scan, his mass would be negligible), we get 708,163,042,000 m^3. Using average density of atmosphere at sea level, that equals a mass of 1.048081302e12 kg. Adding that to the mass of the monster, the total is 3.20577857e13 kg. Accelerating that to a speed of 21.86666667 km/s gives us a KE of 7.664232928e21 j, or 1.831795633 teratons. Nice.
I actually want a calc member to go through this one, actually, since besides my points this one feels sus regardless. Anywho I have the following gripes with this calc:
  • This is in NO WAY representative of his "regular attacks", as when the absolute hell have we accepted "Human Torch rushing to make a tornado" as standard
  • Regarding Giganto's size derived:
    • So I want the subtext with each point, that we're talking "14 kilometers big". Giganto lives up to his name of being gigantic, yes, but "14 kilometers" gigantic?
    • This feat is happening in Manhattan, so let's real quick note the dimensions of Manhattan: "Manhattan Island is 22.7 square miles (59 km2) in area, 13.4 miles (21.6 km) long and 2.3 miles (3.7 km) wide, at its widest (near 14th Street)." This means at 14 kilometers, Giganto needs to only scoot a bit to the left, and travel HALF his length, to destroy all of Manhattan. You can read the issue, this isn't what actually ends up happening.
    • In general I think except for one or two panels nothing in the entire comic comes close to 14 kilometers
    • We just straight up get the height of the Tornado, it's 1k feet, or 0.3 kilometers, and said tornado can accommodate for the entire height of the Giganto with PLENTY of room to spare. Maybe hyperbolic, but as said except for a few panels Giganto comes nowhere close to 14 kilometers
  • No, Human Torch didn't travel to Mariana Trench for no real reason, to dump down Namor. You're taking a basic hyperbole, hell a very common one even, at its absolute face value, it could've been any nearby trench, such as the Milwaukee Depth, which is of comparable depth and a thirteenth of a distance away.
These I feel make the calc invalid to use, and until it is recalc'd, I'd rather we scale him to High 6-C characters.

Human Torch's 5-B calc​

This is actually moreso an annoyance to me, the calc blog we use is absolute garbage, using a ridiculous scan (Human Torch needing to go supernova in the ocean for no apparent reason) and lists an overtime yield to confuse users.

So if anyone's up, I need said blog adapted with a better feat.

I disagree

I am fine with the High 6-C scale myself.

5-B Human Torch never really made sense to me. I don't think he ever performed anything even close to that level. Then again, I only read f4 for Reed and sue, so probably didn't notice this bozo

While the Marinia Trench is still probably an alright end to use, the 14 kilometer cone calc is all degrees of nonsense. So yeah I'm for downgrading him.

I agree as well. In addition, I'm usually pretty iffy on using feats that are this old if they dont have anything on a similar scale in more recent years.

Yes, I pointed this out in this thread, he should scale from Doctor Doom, the Thing, Namor, and the Super Skrull.

His Supernova was said to be rival "the brilliance and power of an exploding star!" (Strange Tales (1951) issue 112), so from what I understand it should be High 4-C. In Thor Vol. 1 issue 142 Super Skull and Thor fight and the former at one point brings the heat of his flames to nova intensity, which Thor says that even the true Human Torch never dared such a feat, that the planet Earth itself "might not survive so potent a blast", and that his life alone was not longer at stake, but all of mankind now stands threatened. Then Thor beats him, refuses to kill him and sends him floating into space.

Thank you to everybody who are helping out here.

Should I ask a few more calc group members to take a look at this?

Yes, I pointed this out in this thread, he should scale from Doctor Doom, the Thing, Namor, and the Super Skrull.

His Supernova was said to be rival "the brilliance and power of an exploding star!" (Strange Tales (1951) issue 112), so from what I understand it should be High 4-C. In Thor Vol. 1 issue 142 Super Skull and Thor fight and the former at one point brings the heat of his flames to nova intensity, which Thor says that even the true Human Torch never dared such a feat, that the planet Earth itself "might not survive so potent a blast", and that his life alone was not longer at stake, but all of mankind now stands threatened. Then Thor beats him, refuses to kill him and sends him floating into space.
It seems uncertain to scale the Torch from flowery language and likely hyperbole, given that he has no feats of his own at anywhere near this level.

Huh stat Amps for Franklin

I thought exploding star wasn't tier 4 by itself? I remember qwesad or someone mentioned something similar in a superman (CW) thread before iirc

Not sure, but he also has caused volcanoes to erupt and blew up an asteroid the size of Manhattan. Just like Iron Man before he was downgraded.

I think Torch's supernova IS stated literal, I'll have to recheck it however.

The problem is that in all of the occasions cited above the Torch displayed a much lower actual destructive output. It seems more likely that his fire simply burns as hot as a supernova, but is of much smaller scope in terms of sum total energy.

It makes sense that the planet isn't burned as that's meant to be something that could happen as a result of using the supernova blame, not something that will 100% happen upon use, that's part of the reason it's not used more often. It's supposed to happen if they use it for too long or lose control while using it. The Human Torch's profile also shows him using his flames with a range that reaches over a whole planet, if I'm not sure what those images are showing.

Well, I still stand by what I said in my last post. My apologies.

I suppose the Supernova thing needs more inlut, but until then I've noted the High 6-C revision has passed, and I'll be applying it rn.

Back