• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Comics - Godzilla Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordTracer

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
This is the AP justification for Godzilla’s second key:
At least Planet level (Matched Thor, with Thor comparing his strength to the Midgard Serpent[2], and Hercules had to put in extreme effort to overpower a simple stomp from him[3]. Godzilla was also called one of the most powerful entities on Earth, at least on three[4] times)[5]
I see no reason why Godzilla should be limited to Planet level. He’s directly compared to the Midgard Serpent, which is Galaxy level, and so is Hercules, who had to put in significant effort to overpower Godzilla. So Godzilla’s second key should also be upgraded to Galaxy level.

Absolutely agreed. It was weird seeing 5-B Godzilla when he is directly comparable to Heralds on their higher levels of power

Finally someone brought it up. I tried bringing it up back in the day and it didn't work out well cause thread died and then the revisions came in. Godzilla is 100% 3-C

The problem is that Thor was not portrayed as anywhere near tier 3-C in this story, and I do not think that either he or the Midgard Serpent has any feats of anywhere near tier 3-C at this point in time, but I am open to further reasonable input.

I didn’t mention Thor in the OP for a reason. I’m focusing on the Midgard Serpent and Hercules.

And when Godzilla was compared to Jormungandr, that was from an issue in 1979. By that point, Jormungandr had already been established as a Thor level threat during Thor Vol. 1 #278, in 1978.

Yes, but its feats back then were only of a planetary scale, as were Thor's I think.

Okay then. It still seems too high given that Marvel's Godzilla never demonstrated feats of anywhere near this scale though. All that we have is a likely hyperbolic statement.

Well, Marvel writers traditionally tended to want to use flowery language to hype up events in order to engage the readers, and Thor in particular is a character that is often used for such a purpose due to expressing himself in a rather bombastic and poetic manner. Hence, all that we saw in this story were feats of an 8-A scale, but Thor still mentioned the Midgard Serpent.

You’re kinda just referring to everything in a general sense, none of that indicates that this specific statement is hyperbolic.

Plus, as I mentioned before, Hercules had to strain himself to push back Godzilla’s stomp, with Hercules being a 3-C character.

Isn't Hercules usually portrayed on a 5-B level, especially on Earth, which is why we gave him a variable tier between 5-B and 3-C?

The main thing is the Midgard Serpent. It is always portrayed as being at the level of Thor's peak in power, not how powerful he is when holding back. Its pretty clear the intention is to say that Godzilla is comparable to the Midgard Serpent, and thus is 3-C. There is nothing limiting him to 5-B here, and whether or not he destroyed a Galaxy doesn't really matter. We have no reason to believe Thor was lying about it being like the Midgard Serpent.

It was still Thor and Hercules on Earth while holding back to other Avengers member power levels. A single statement that strongly contradicts the shown power levels within the story itself does not change that.

Godzilla was never shown at anywhere near even a global scale in the Marvel Comics stories he took part in as far as I am aware, and in the story with Thor and Hercules he was only pushing around large buildings.

Isn't Hercules usually portrayed on a 5-B level, especially on Earth, which is why we gave him a variable tier between 5-B and 3-C?
He doesn’t have a Varies tier, he just has a hold back tier like Thor does. And considering how much he was struggling and how the narration even reiterates that he was straining himself, it’s pretty clear that he’s not holding back.

Godzilla was never shown at anywhere near even a global scale in the Marvel Comics stories he took part in as far as I am aware, and in the story with Thor and Hercules he was only pushing around large buildings.
Destructive capacity is not attack potency, and unless your point is to downgrade him below Planet level, this doesn’t matter.

Yeah, I don't think we should use the hold back tier just as an excuse to not scale certain characters to 3-C. While some characters, like Iron Man, are explicitly only comparable to Thor when he is holding back, with Godzilla there is nothing indicating those characters are holding back. They are explicitly exerting themselves, and compare their opponent to a character who doesn't hold back, the Midgard Serpent.

If we scale all the characters that Thor and Hercules have seemingly exerted themselves against, while located on a more restrained Earth setting, to 3-C, and then scale the characters that they have seemingly strained against as well, we wouldn't have any 5-B characters anymore.

The points here are that this happening in an urban Earthly setting where Thor and Hercules are basically always portrayed at far lower power levels, which we call "holding back" instead of inconsistent writing, even though the latter is the real main reason; along with that 3-C is just a far too high power level for everything that we have ever seen demonstrated from this incarnation of Godzilla. There simply wouldn't have been any story if Thor had just waltzed in and defeated Godzilla by lightly touching the monster with his little finger.

If we scale all the characters that Thor and Hercules have seemingly exerted themselves against, while located on a more restrained Earth setting, to 3-C, and then scale the characters that they have seemingly strained against as well, we wouldn't have any 5-B characters anymore.

The points here are that this happening in an urban Earthly setting where Thor and Hercules are basically always portrayed at far lower power levels, which we call "holding back" instead of inconsistent writing, even though the latter is the real main reason; along with that 3-C is just a far too high power level for everything that we have ever seen demonstrated from this incarnation of Godzilla. There simply wouldn't have been any story if Thor had just waltzed in and defeated Godzilla by lightly touching the monster with his little finger.
There’s a difference between “oh they kinda made Thor struggle a little bit” to Hercules admitting that Godzilla’s stomp was greater than any labor he had done before, with the narration mentioning twice that his muscles were straining from the effort.

On top of that, he was trying to prevent Godzilla from crushing Angel, where there would be literally no reason for him to hold back and struggle if he could just casually throw him off. For your interpretation to work, you would have to assume that Hercules, instead of instantly throwing Godzilla off and saving his friend, actively made the decision to hold back and struggle.

Okay. I suppose that is a valid point, and that Godzilla can probably scale from Hercules in terms of attack potency and lifting strength then, unless anybody here has objections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back