• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Manifold : Confirmation of Mathematical Platonism-type Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous Discussion : https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/1370650

I don't know wether these quotes have been posted or not. here is few quotes to confirm that Stephen Baxter the Author might truly intend for Manifoldverse to be Mathematical Platonism-type Multiverse. Below are quotes Manifold : Space.

XXX

Reality is truly based on Math

Cassiopeia had spent time trying to teach him about a phenomenon just a little beyond his own horizon — as chaos theory might have been to an engineer of, say, the 1950s. It was something to do with the emergence of complexity. The Gaijin seemed able to see how complexity, even life, naturally emerged from the simplest of beginnings: not fundamental physical laws, but something even deeper than that — as far as he could make out, the essential mathematical logic that underlay all things.

Its here expluicitly said that complexity itself did not originate or created from most fundamental of physical laws. But all is originating from even deeper and more primal source, that is mathematical logic tgat underlay all things.

As we already know, Level IV Multiverse is based on math and logic. And in this quote from Manifold : Space its outright said that everything in Manifoldverse did originate from math.

XXX

Reality is just Consequence of Mathematical Concepts

Human scientists had a glimmering of this. His own DNA somehow contained, in its few billion bases, enough information to generate a brain of three trillion connections… But for the Gaijin this principle went farther. It was like being given a table of prime numbers and being able to deduce atoms and stars and people as a necessary consequence of the existence of the primes. And since prime numbers, of course, existed everywhere, it followed there was life and people, humans and Gaijin, everywhere there could be. Life sprouting everywhere, like weeds in the cracks of a pavement. It was a remarkable, chilling thought

An example : how the existence of one mathematical structure caused the existence of physical structures like stars. And since said mathematical structure existed everywhere, (all over Manifoldverse) so can complexity like Life exist because it would be consequence of mathematical strucures which presided it. Mathematical structures which reside on Ultimate Manifold which is the crux of totality of existence itself.

Quotes above might be supporting statement to Level IV Multiverse statement in the first novel of Manifold : Time, in case you guys forgot :

Anna's face worked. "They are considering constraints on the ultimate manifold."

Maura suspected that she was going to struggle with the rest of this conversation. "The manifold of what?"

"Universes. It is of course a truism that all logically possible universes must exist. The universe, this universe, is described - umm, that's the wrong word - by a formal system. Mathematics. A system of mathematics." Maura frowned. "You mean a Theory of Everything?"

Anna waved a hand, as if that were utterly trivial, and her beautiful wings rustled.

"But there are many formal systems. Some of them are less rich, some more. But each formal system is logically consistent internally, describes a possible universe, which therefore exists."

XXX

we know already that concept of 'prime numbers' already 'created' existence of atoms, stars and sapient life. and there are many statements regarding dimensionality in the trilogy (Four dimensions of Einstein Rosen Bridge) and Theories of Everything (Transactional Interpretation and 11-Dimensional universe iirc). so mathematical structures also have conceptual superiority over Dimensional structures in Manifold.

Dimensional structures are mere consequence of the mathematical structures that are Theories of Everything. in other words, mathematical structures in Manifoldverse (most primal underlying concept of reality) which held dominion over dimensional structures are Tier 1-A.

this 1-A interpretation is without relying on outside sources like Tegmark paper and the likes by the way. so everyone can rest assured that that Downstreamers being 1-A can hold its own weight without the existence of Mr. Tegmark's Paper.

and as already said in previous discussion, even 1-A concepts aren't exempt from mathematics and logic (only High 1-A and above who truly transcend logic). since even Initial Manifolfverse is already Mathematical Multiverse, and Downstreamers explicitly said to further add new possibilities and changed the rule of the verse, its safe to say that Downstreamers' control over the the variety of underlying concepts of reality is total and beyond.

Because for their grand project, Downstreamers need to take control and/or make entirely new mathematical structures that govern reality of multiverse (mathematical underlying which are source of dimensions/space/time, void and etc) to make new infinitely more possibilities for new complexities to appear.

so mere 'dimensionally superior' (base fodder 1-A) is massively understating the power of Downstreamers IMO.

Indeed, its math all the way down. its official that Downstreamers are the most enthusiastic mathematicians ever recorded in this wiki. ovo

With additional quotes from Manifold:Space, I think its safe to say that Manifoldverse is undoubtly Mathematical Multiverse based on Platonism or also known as Level IV Multiverse.

With 1-A supporting statements being complexity/reality/life are mere consequences of the existence of mathematical structures, entities which are not unlike Forms of Platonism. Them being the very conceptual crux of reality/complexity itself.

And Downstreamers possibly transcended and presided over a Platonic-like 1-A outerverse named the Ultimate Manifold.

So, is this enough of confirmation to warrant Revision? Specifically, get rid of the Note on Downstreamers' page regarding the doubt wether its truly multiverse based on all mathematics and logic or not.

"IIRC, The reason why Downstreamers haven't been upgraded yet is because many doubt Manifold being Level IV Multiverse."

I don't believe this is the case, or at least that it shouldn't be.

The general idea is that when something is upgraded to such a level, it should be done via explicit statements within the actual material, and not via being similar to another idea.

I think the Downstreamers need work anyway, though. Though this is not so much in regards to tier as it is to overall structuring and justification.

thank you for responding Azzy

I don't believe this is the case, or at least that it shouldn't be.

The general idea is that when something is upgraded to such a level, it should be done via explicit statements within the actual material, and not via being similar to another idea.

Its not via being similar to another idea. Those statements completely self sufficient in supporting itself to be Tier 1-A without relying on outside source like Tegmark Paper. IMO anyway. since they describe conceptual superiority of mathematical structures over reality.

I think the Downstreamers need work anyway, though. Though this is not so much in regards to tier as it is to overall structuring and justification.

So can I get rid of the 'Note' part on its page?

No upgrade on tier?

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
Plus way more abilities, and although I could buy a possibly 1-A
what do you mean by more abilities? Downstreamers already have Mathematics Manipulation. this thread only confirms that they truly manipulate it in literal sense. because mathematical structures have conceptual superiority over everything in reality.

we know already that concept of 'prime numbers' already 'created' existence of atoms, stars and sapient life. and there are many statements regarding dimensionality in the trilogy (Four dimensions of Einstein Rosen Bridge) and Theories of Everything (Transactional Interpretation and 11-Dimensional universe iirc). so mathematical structures also have conceptual superiority over Dimensional structures in Manifold.

Dimensional structures are mere consequence of the mathematical structures that are Theories of Everything. in other words, mathematical structures in Manifoldverse (most primal underlying concept of reality) which held dominion over dimensional structures are Tier 1-A.

this 1-A interpretation is without relying on outside sources like Tegmark paper and the likes by the way. so @Azathoth can rest assured that that Downstreamers being 1-A can hold its own weight without the existence of Mr. Tegmark's Paper.

and as already said in previous discussion, even 1-A concepts aren't exempt from mathematics and logic (only High 1-A and above who truly transcend logic). since even Initial Manifolfverse is already Mathematical Multiverse, and Downstreamers explicitly said to further add new possibilities and changed the rule of the verse, its safe to say that Downstreamers' control over the the variety of underlying concepts of reality is total and beyond.

Because for their grand project, Downstreamers need to take control and/or make entirely new mathematical structures that govern reality of multiverse (mathematical underlying which are source of dimensions/space/time, void and etc) to make new infinitely more possibilities for new complexities to appear.

so mere 'dimensionally superior' (base fodder 1-A) is massively understating the power of Downstreamers IMO.

Indeed, its math all the way down. its official that Downstreamers are the most enthusiastic mathematicians ever recorded in this wiki. ovo

You can politely ask Azathoth to comment again if you wish, but he is very busy IRL, so it could take a while.

Lucis=the=Lumenian said:
and as already said in previous discussion, even 1-A concepts aren't exempt from mathematics and logic (only High 1-A and above who truly transcend logic).
My primary issue with stuff like this is that it depends heavily on the verse, the definition of mathematics and logic used, and is extremely case-by-case. I don't like the idea of "something beyond math is inherently 1-A".

An issue I have with the Downstreamers is that whenever upgrades are brought up, outside concepts are brought in and mingle with the actual source material, which makes things difficult. I do not believe anything in the OP, on its ow, demonstrates 1-A. This is not to say that it can't be, but that the easiest way to upgrade the Downstreamers would just be direct statements from the Manifold novels that, on their own, would suggest such a level.

I hope I'm making this clear, because I'm pretty tired.

I think that Azathoth makes sense. Thank you for the help.

sorry if I come off as demanding, but why do you find those statements to be insufficient? I think we currently do not have similar nderstanding of Manifold nature. Or maybe we have similar understanding but the statements are not blunt enough for our tiering system? if so, why is it not blunt enough?

statements from both novels literally can only be interpreted that mathematical concepts are what makes the multiverse (dimensions and everything). so its definitely Tier 1-A if my understanding of Tiering System is correct.

so do we just ignore this important fact of Manifold cosmology just because the statements are not 'blunt' enough?

my primary concern is just that if characters' tier do not match their capabilities. In Downstreamers' case, is their power to exert total control over mathematical underlyings in Manifoldverse.

Mismatched tiering maybe would cause people to be confused about the tiering system.

"Why is the description does not match the Tier? so what is Tier X-X really? I'm confused"

that sort of thing. and it just happens that Manifoldverse and Downstreamers are tightly tied to mathematics, which in turn very much tied to 1-A. hence giving Downstreamers High 1-B would be tad bit innaccurate IMO for accuracy's sake.

heck, if not for Infinite layers thing that @Aeyu had pointed out for me that supports High 1-B Downstreamers, I'd be all for High 1-C or even High 2-A Downstreamers.

But then I found these quotes which explains true nature of Manifoldverse which is 1-A by nature. which definitely outweighs High 1-C and High 1-B statements. So I created this CRT to highlight the issue.

after all, It'd be a shame to not include Manifoldverse's 1-A nature to Downstreamees' profile bacause it plays such central part to the story itself.

But If we are to ignore this important part of cosmology then okay.

but I'd prefer to not leave Downstreamers' page as it is in that case. I'd like to put matching descriptions to its tier. wether its High 1-C, High 1-B or maybe High 2-A, (I have very matching descriptions in mind for those three tiers) as long as it won't mislead people.

XXX

sorry for intruding into your resting time. I hope you can reply this when you are in better condition.

Azathoth is very busy IRL, and recurrently does not have time to reply.

Doing a quick reply.

What I am talking about is that, on their own, none of the quotes in the OP suggest 1-A.

• "Cassiopeia had spent time trying to teach him about a phenomenon just a little beyond his own horizon — as chaos theory might have been to an engineer of, say, the 1950s. It was something to do with the emergence of complexity. The Gaijin seemed able to see how complexity, even life, naturally emerged from the simplest of beginnings: not fundamental physical laws, but something even deeper than that — as far as he could make out, the essential mathematical logic that underlay all things."
This quote, on its own, just says that math is the source of everything in existence and that mathematical logic is more fundamental than physical laws.

• "Human scientists had a glimmering of this. His own DNA somehow contained, in its few billion bases, enough information to generate a brain of three trillion connections… But for the Gaijin this principle went farther. It was like being given a table of prime numbers and being able to deduce atoms and stars and people as a necessary consequence of the existence of the primes. And since prime numbers, of course, existed everywhere, it followed there was life and people, humans and Gaijin, everywhere there could be. Life sprouting everywhere, like weeds in the cracks of a pavement. It was a remarkable, chilling thought."
This just restates what the first quote said while adding a tiny bit more to the idea. There is an "essential mathematical logic" that underlays all things, so physical things like atoms, stars, and people are consequences of things such as prime numbers.

• "Anna's face worked. "They are considering constraints on the ultimate manifold."
Maura suspected that she was going to struggle with the rest of this conversation. "The manifold of what?"

"Universes. It is of course a truism that all logically possible universes must exist. The universe, this universe, is described - umm, that's the wrong word - by a formal system. Mathematics. A system of mathematics." Maura frowned. "You mean a Theory of Everything?"

Anna waved a hand, as if that were utterly trivial, and her beautiful wings rustled.

"But there are many formal systems. Some of them are less rich, some more. But each formal system is logically consistent internally, describes a possible universe, which therefore exists"
"

This quote states that all logically possible universes must exist. Each universe is described by a formal system, just like this one is described by the formal system of mathematics. There are many formal systems, and each universe is described by its own formal system.

None of these, on their own, are 1-A.

There is a weird trend with the Downstreamers where a lot of the time, upgrades are predicated on outside theories or things just straight up not described in the text.

What I am saying is that for such a major upgrade, it is best to base it on things actually found within the text.

I agree with Azathoth.

Considering how recurrent and time-consuming these threads are, it might also be a good idea to get a discussion rule against further unwarranted upgrade attempts of the downstreamers, without new evidence. The rule should preferably also link to previous discussions regarding the topic.

Their profile as it is currently probably needs some revisions as well, due to the fact that their current tier justification is really kind of odd without proper context, looking back on it. There are other things too, but that's kind of major when it comes to actually understanding them.

Even just always having the quotes for stuff like this ("The Old Ones' capability, which includes the effortless manipulation of the fabric of existence, is nearly boundless, and they are capable of creating infinitely-layered multiverses that contain an equally infinite number of multiverses within them. The Manifoldverse itself consists of an infinite hierarchy of infinite multiverses.") handy on the page itself would be extremely helpful, since they don't have a concise blog or anything.

Would you be willing to write a draft for a discussion rule, that I can then improve upon? I have a bit of a knack for that kind of thing, but need something to work with.

sorry, I just skimmed Aza's post. but I get the general idea. but as I said before, if upgrade is no go then the profile needs cleaning of 1-A-like parts. If Aza is busy, I can help delete few things from the page.

I myself aren't very familiar with High 1-B and would be more comfortable with 2-A for Old Ones honestly. I don't really like High 1-C justification either, so if possible, removal of High 1-C probably would be best, I think.

utter manipulation of mathematics sounds like metaphysical hax though. 1-A via hax? but maybe quantifying this high level of mathematics manipulation on math manip page would be best.

wait a minute. I almost lost sight of my goal. its to confirm that Downstreamers indeed have Level IV Multiverse. many instances in the novels said that its indeed Mathematical Multiverse. and I think its kimda... 'rude' to ignore that. since its central part of cosmology.

so ingoring a Tier Doenstreamers would get, I think its important to clarify that Manifoldverse indeed is Level IV Multiverse.

for the explamation why DS arent 1-A, Aza's explanation can be given. "we can't give this rating because it relies on outside sources", or something like that.

Antvasima said:
I would appreciate help with cleaning up the profile, but do not know you well.
I'm on phone anyway, and cannot do extensive editing. but I'll try to make a blog regarding the cosmology. I'm kinda fixated on Level IV Multiverse part since its many times repeated throughout the novels.

but since its confirmed that all logical things exist in Manifoldverse... even 1-A isn't exempt. oh man, its Aeyu's thread all over again.

why was Aeyu's upgrade got denied again? I think the description of "containing all logic/axioms" is sufficient to be Tier 1-A. without relying on Tegmark Paper.

oh well, I'll try to make a blog regarding their cosmology first. can I get a template? I can't make ToC.

I obviously agree that the Downstreamers should be solidly 1-A for utterly transcending the entirety of the Manifold, but agree that without a blog page, nothing is likely going to happen. High 1-B is due to the Manifold being infinitely layered.

I have all three books in EBook format; I can try and make a blog post sometime in the future.

Aeyu said:
I obviously agree that the Downstreamers should be solidly 1-A for utterly transcending the entirety of the Manifold, but agree that without a blog page, nothing is likely going to happen. High 1-B is due to the Manifold being infinitely layered.
I have all three books in EBook format; I can try and make a blog post sometime in the future.
Nice, it will be interesting

Azathoth would have to accept it, and he most likely will not.

Antvasima said:
Azathoth would have to accept it, and he most likely will not.
This depends entirely on what is actually provided. What we have right now for the Downstreamers is a clusterfuck of information and "this should probably be X tier due to outside reasons" without things found in the actual stories being used to back it up.

This does not mean there is nothing in the actual stories that will convince me of 1-A.

A bit of advertising but I made few blog posts.

What this habe to do with math/1-A you say? Well, it'd be explained in my Dante's Divine Comed blog. Primum Mobile, Christian God, and Empyrean are inside Manifold apparently.

About rough cosmic hierarchy of Manifold :

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Lucis=the=Lumenian/Manifold_Trilogy_:_Cosmology

About a 11-D universe :

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...y_:_Zoo_hypothesis_and_11-Dimensions/M-Theory

About a Divine Comedy/Aristotelian Universe :

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...y_:_Dante's_Divine_Comedy_inside_the_Manifold

There are actually 1 or 2 more Unique universes inside the Manifold. But I'll create the blog posts for them later.

The revisions based on these blogs are :

• Ability to significantly accelerate passage of time on a solar system range.
  • Adding feats of creating those Unique universes as explained in my blog to Downstreamers AP.
  • Adding Links to my blogs to Downstreamers' page.
Well, many variations of physical laws. *sigh* This would be tiring to make another blog post about another cosmology in Manifold.

Downstreamers like to screw around with many different cosmologies.

The issue is some verses' that are claimed to be platonic by others aren't true platonic multiverses with such limited information. Until I get around to revising the Multiverse page with more relevant Multiverse theories, we shouldn't try to use these classifications and just stick to the number of dimensions that are outright stated or strongly implied.

A lack of information is a lack of information, no matter how flowery, buttered-up, and cute the descriptions are.

You can tell me here when/if I should unlock it for you.

@Sera EX Not really lack of info (its outright mentioned to be type 4). But rather many just can't accept something that just have only been mentioned once, thus it is treated as unreliable.

Interesting fact about Manifoldverse is in the blog I just created. We have Aristotelian cosmology following Aristotelian physics and metaphysics. Where phenomena depended upon 'substance'.

We have 'first moving part'. Also more known as the Uncaused Cause, the Unmoved Mover, or Aristoteles' depiction of Supreme God.

I dunno how strong Aristoteles' God is. But its interesting that Downstreamers can create universe with weird metaphysics like Aristoteles'.

XXX

Might as well advertise my blog : https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...d_trilogy_:_Hawking's_Imaginary_Time_Universe

Another cosmology in Manifold. Deals with imaginary time, as name suggests.

Being classified as Type IV is still a lack of info. A type IV Multiverse by our standards does not give us enough information to suggest anything higher than High 1-B. That is, until I revise the Multiverse page.

If these types of multiverses where considered back when the names for 1-C, 1-B, and 1-A were suggested, there would be no reason to resort to "Complex Multiverse", "Hyperverse", or "Outerverse".

This means that as of now, something being classified as any type of multiverse is never enough. We go by number of universes and number of dimensions. That's it.

@Sera

I would appreciate if you give me an advance warning in private regarding what you have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back