• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Magnolia Size revision

I'm doing this in a hurry since it's 4AM here but here's the thing, the distance between central street and the Fairy Tail guild which is at the outskirts of Magnolia is given to be 4-5km.

Now central street is this horizontal road which extends across the center of Magnolia in front of the Kardia Cathedral.

Kardia Cathedral is also stated to be at the central Magnolia.

This would make Magnolia's length about 8km.

This would effect the lake skliora calc and Aldoron calc because Crocus is much larger than this

Noice how does this change things
There was a High 7-A calc for FDKM Natsu vaporizing Lake Scillora. It would give that calc a damn good upgrade (maybe enough that the calc would actually be used for FDKM Natsu)

Also it would buff some Aldoron calcs since Crocus is larger than Magnolia, but that's less important since he scales far above those calcs anyway.

Yeah lake skillora calc gets over 39x amp if I'm right because of the surface area change (depth would remain as is ig)

Aldoron and GiGajeel KE calcs get nearly 8x amp due to 5th power increase

So how would you accurately calc the size of Magnolia with this distance? Sounds like basic pixel scaling but is there a certain image that gives us an aerial view of Magnolia at a not-weird angle?

Ok now I have looked everywhere, trying every method I have to find the original magazine print of that scan and I could not find them anywhere

So the question now becomes, do we trust these fan translations to be accurate and honestly I don't know

It could have easily been falsified or be a mistranslation and we have no way to confirm if it's legit, worst of all this distance is never mentioned anywhere else, so that makes it even harder to figure out, this is the same problem as when a mistranslation gave Lucy an unofficial birthday, meaning that at this point it's a coin flip

This is a revision that would lead to upgrades, so I know people will want to say F*ck it and let's use it anyways, but I'm on the fence

Who does calcs that could lead to major upgrades for FT at 4 AM?

@Nerd1435 : Oh boy, 4 AM!

On a more serious note, I look forward to upgrades.

I have some of the same concerns, but to me, some info is better than no info. It's not like all fan translations are wrong either.

So I'm in a similar position as Mitch, but slightly leaning to using it.

1.jpg

---id---2709---id------c---82---c------t---151---t---.png

This reminds me of the 150 km Fishmen Island in One Piece which was confirmed to be an added phrase by people with no connection at all to the author or publishers.
If I see a scan that shows that size in the raws, then I'll agree with it.

Until then, I disagree.

Like I agree with everything else, but the size needs to be confirmed to be true.

If it's true and I'm not here to see it, just take it as me agreeing. But until then, disagree.

Excuse me for a second...(cue muffled screaming into pillow)

Gosh darnit. I was really looking forward to a major upgrade.

This is cleaned in the official version (volume releases) it's not Hiro "not putting it" or choosing to not put it. It is still present in the magazine.

This happens with every single chapter. The extra descriptions of a chapter are removed to not look cluttered.

Moreover, two different translators translated that part of the cover. They both did it similarly, it's an advertisement about the human flame, Natsu stating the location of Fairy Tail guild 4-5 km away.

What are the chances do you think that both these translations which were uploaded in 2008 are made up or added something that's not present in the Raws? That's a senseless concern.

Last edited:
Still, I found the translations of the raw chapters uploaded in mangahelpers in 2008-2009.

There is no doubt that the cover of the chapter included this description.

The issue is the clarification of the translations, are they really saying it’s 4-5 Kilometers from the center of Magnolia to Fairy Tail? Cause TBH, every image of Magnolia makes that distance laughable, like Kardia Cathedral and the Guild are so close to each other
7Zqy9qq.jpg

JuFFdbY.jpg

Manga image and the anime image look inconsistent with each other. The area around Kardia cathedral doesn't look like what's shown in that anime image.

As for the manga it's hard to accurately portray stuff that's supposed to be far away from viewer or stuff that's very small to the proportion.
The Guild building was also massive anyways. The farthest buildings bar the guild-hall are barely even visible if you look closely to zoom in whereas the guildhall which is even farther away is significantly large enough to be seen.

I do think that is what it's saying. Since the central street is a horizontal road going in front of the Kardia Cathedral which is at central fairy tail. And the name "central street" also kinda implies it's located at the center whereas magnolia is at the center.

Still, I found the translations of the raw chapters uploaded in mangahelpers in 2008-2009.

There is no doubt that the cover of the chapter included this description.

Is that description wasn't retained for the official release (either in Japanese or English) then how do we know it is still canon?

Because Mashima still wrote it and stated the distance and it's from an idea he had in his head about the Town size.

It was removed in volume releases for the sake of looking clean like it's done with every chapter ever. The chapters are always removed of extra stuff like "Shiki's fate is being accelerated to the speed of light" that are present in the magazine releases.

You can find the unclean, magazine released versions of the chapters in manganato (formerly manganelo)

You can find similar extra sentences or descriptions in every chapter that are removed with the volume releases

Personally I wouldn't use that figure. There's no way of knowing if it is still canon or not.

Just use pixelscaling to get the distance.

I mean I can't say anything to "If it's still canon or not"

But still Mashima's general idea about Magnolia's size has been 8km length at one point. It makes little sense to me that Crocus which is the country's capital and whose size baffled the guild members would only be 5.36km in diameter

Damage brings up a good point, if it was never used in the official Japanese or English text, then we probably shouldn’t use the distance at all

Volume releases aren't the only official sources. Magazines aren't even "un-official", they contain the entire thing Mashima added to the chapters like what to expect in the next chapter, recap of previous chapter, text describing the covers, etc...

You guys are talking as if this is something that's not drawn or approved by Mashima to be released.

You guys are talking as if this is something that's not drawn or approved by Mashima to be released.
Well we don’t have the original japanese text and there’s no other part of the manga where this distance and size is mentioned, so we can’t confirm exact what is being said to be 4-5 Km, it’s possible it could mean something entirely different than 4-5 Km from the guild to the center of Magnolia

I don’t know, it just seems unreliable since we can’t prove it...

Why not just look at what the translations for other languages say? If they all say the same thing, the raws must be some hyper specific context that everyone missed when they translated the thing or it’s accurate.

Why not just look at what the translations for other languages say? If they all say the same thing, the raws must be some hyper specific context that everyone missed when they translated the thing or it’s accurate.
Blank has a point here. Look in all the languages available and see if there's overlap

Ah, there is actually a problem with that and is that most of the translations in other languages as far I know tend to translate from the english version instead of the original, I say this as a translator to spanish, is more confortable, easy and practical translate from the english version, the amount of fellows translators that I know that translate directly from the original language (japanese, korean, chinese or so) is much less, so maybe in this case could be different, but most of the time I would say the translation use the english version.

Back