• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lightspeed Kamehameha???

So I hear something thrown around that the DBZ characters have FTL combat speeds because they can dodge "lightspeed" lasers like the Kamehameha. At around 3:26 we see the Kamehameha leave Earth from the view of space. The Earths diameter is just under 8,000 miles and light travels at over 100,000 miles per second. By the time the Kamehameha is long enough to equal the diameter of the Earth shown in the video it's well over one second and it's still not the distance light can travel per second by the time the beam ends. Not only is this slower than light, but significantly slower. So can someone clear this up for me?

Gohan kills Cell 720p HD
Gohan kills Cell 720p HD

The characters are FTL through scaling and kaio-ken multipliers, to my understanding, not lightspeed attacks.

Ah, I see. I usually don't use the super saiyan or kaioken multipliers, because the results you'd get from them are constantly contradicted by other events in the series. I only follow things that are completely consistent. I don't count sudden rises or falls in power if they are consistently shown to be weaker or stronger. For example Krillin hitting Goku with a rock XD That was dumb and Goku isn't rock level.

We use the kaioken multipliers - not the Super Saiyan ones - as they were explicitly stated within canon to be a multiplier, from what I remember.

Promestein said:
We use the kaioken multipliers - not the Super Saiyan ones - as they were explicitly stated within canon to be a multiplier, from what I remember.
You mean like how saiyans can't survive in space but they've been in space multiple times? XD Goku, Bardock, The rest of the saiyan race.

LeopoldTheBrave said:
You mean like how saiyans can't survive in space but they've been in space multiple times? XD Goku, Bardock, The rest of the saiyan race.
No saiyan has ever been above stratosphere. We dont count scenes from DBZ anime which is non canon

I believe we can not do calculations from DBZ animations. For example, in the case of Gotenks speed feat, shows him flying a few times around the Earth as it rotates significantly, and this makes the feat less than it really is. But the manga is obviously a frame without motion, which makes the feats more significant and nullifies the inconsistencies.

(Goku ssj, before the Cell Saga, threw Cooler in the Sun with a Kamehameha ... FTL+ feat) [Non canon, I know]

(Piccolo exploded the Moon in the Saiyan Saga quickly).

WELL, IDK, but
I believe that calculate from some animations (that need more detail) is not the most accurate way to get a result. Just saiyan. :p

Back