• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lightning Feats Attack Potency and Durability

Didn't DT already give some answers like this
Halving for cloud-to-ground seems ok.
For durability high up in the air + the lightning doesn't exit the object again (which I suspect it does for an airplane) scaling should be approx. fine. Don't think it would loose most of its energy in the first few meters. But yeah, otherwise just don't scale to RL lightning. It's mostly relevant for the speed stuff anyways tbh.
And this
Doesn't that mean the conclusion is that if a character is struck by lightning from above the clouds to the ground its Durability will be half of the lightning energy? (1.6 billion Joules/2)
So, what's still being discussed?

Didn't DT already give some answers like this

And this

Doesn't that mean the conclusion is that if a character is struck by lightning from above the clouds to the ground its Durability will be half of the lightning energy? (1.6 billion Joules/2)
So, what's still being discussed?
Nah, this isn't what's being discussed anymore.

We're discussing this.
What if the character has an affinity for lightning (As in, being able to fully wield cloud lightning, channel it through their bodies) and hurls actual lightning bolts and/or can transform into real lightning? Would the bolts causing severe damage on a bigger scale than what IRL lightning does or having the appropriate ampere/voltage value make them scale?

Remember, this is just for characters that can actually utilize lightning from the clouds, channel it through their bodies and then blast it at full power or be able to punch out that much power via high-enough ampere/voltage values or transform into an actual lightning bolt, this isn't for characters that just shoot electricity and don't have other showings of manipulating lightning blasts in and from clouds and such or MHS+ showings.

And this.

Well the character that can shoot natural lightning is what the dodger is fighting against. So is the lightning shooter shooting cloud to cloud lightning or cloud to ground lightning? Given the distance... I tend to incline towards the former, i.e. cloud to cloud lightning.

But again, what said by KLOL should be taken into consideration.

Just... are Magenmite and Pichu (Pichu scale from Igglybuff and Cleffa anyway) having their MHS+ removed by this?

So what are the conclusions here so far/what should we do here exactly?

So what are the conclusions here so far/what should we do here exactly?
Basically, we need the answers to this:

What if the character has an affinity for lightning (As in, being able to fully wield cloud lightning, channel it through their bodies) and hurls actual lightning bolts and/or can transform into real lightning? Would the bolts causing severe damage on a bigger scale than what IRL lightning does or having the appropriate ampere/voltage value make them scale?

Remember, this is just for characters that can actually utilize lightning from the clouds, channel it through their bodies and then blast it at full power or be able to punch out that much power via high-enough ampere/voltage values or transform into an actual lightning bolt, this isn't for characters that just shoot electricity and don't have other showings of manipulating lightning blasts in and from clouds and such or MHS+ showings.

And this:

Well the character that can shoot natural lightning is what the dodger is fighting against. So is the lightning shooter shooting cloud to cloud lightning or cloud to ground lightning? Given the distance... I tend to incline towards the former, i.e. cloud to cloud lightning.

But again, what said by KLOL should be taken into consideration.

Just... are Magenmite and Pichu (Pichu scale from Igglybuff and Cleffa anyway) having their MHS+ removed by this?
That's all we're waiting for.

Basically, we need the answers to this:

And this:

That's all we're waiting for.
Okay. Should I summon the other calc group members here for further input? DontTalk is quite busy with other tasks.

Sorry about that then. It is hard for me to keep track of the specifics of every thread, especially as I am dealing with quite a lot of things IRL as well right now.

Can you or Jasonsith explain please, KLOL?

I’m a bit confused as to what the problem is
Basically a matter of:

Characters being able to wield natural lightning, being able to transform into natural lightning (For storm-riding through clouds or whatever else), hurl actual lightning bolts, able to fully manipulate lightning from the clouds to then channel through their body and then blast it at full power or be able to punch out that much power by having the appropriate voltage/ampere values (All while having enough supporting feats to show consistency like the appropriate ampere/voltage values, having the IRL properties of lightning and/or having a slew of MHS+ speed feats)...

Would they scale to the full 1.6 gigajoules value of the intra-cloud lightning without having it halved like cloud-to-ground lightning? Since they have full control over their lightning and would have no reason to hold back on the power of their bolts in serious combat?

Last edited:
Basically a matter of:

Characters being able to wield natural lightning, being able to transform into natural lightning (For storm-riding through clouds or whatever else), hurl actual lightning bolts, able to fully manipulate lightning from the clouds to then channel through their body and then blast it at full power or be able to punch out that much power by having the appropriate voltage/ampere values (All while having enough supporting feats to show consistency like the appropriate ampere/voltage values, having the IRL properties of lightning and/or having a slew of MHS+ speed feats)...

Would they scale to the full 1.6 gigajoules value of the intra-cloud lightning without having it halved like cloud-to-ground lightning? Since they have full control over their lightning and would have no reason to hold back on the power of their bolts in serious combat?
They should scale to the full yield, I don’t know why they’d ever hold back

Is this the conclusion of the question?
Does that mean a character who can emit natural lightning gets at least Building Level AP?
The real question is:

1. What is the energy and speed for cloud to cloud lightning versus cloud to ground lightning?
2. Given a character like Magenmite emits what considered natural lightning, does the said character scale from cloud-to-cloud lightning or cloud-to-ground lightning in AP and in speed? When to switch back to the supersonic taser gun speed?

The real question is:

1. What is the energy and speed for cloud to cloud lightning versus cloud to ground lightning?
Cloud-to-cloud would be 1.6 gigajoules as per the above article and britannica says an average of 10^4 to 10^7 m/s (Still looking for the pdfs on this). Cloud-to-ground lightning would be half the energy, and has the speed of 4.4x10^5 m/s (Mach 1282) that we use as per our sources.

2. Given a character like Magenmite emits what considered natural lightning, does the said character scale from cloud-to-cloud lightning or cloud-to-ground lightning in AP and in speed?
For this part I'd say both since they'd usually have full control over the lightning bolt they're shooting at. Like DemonGod said, no reason why they'd ever hold back unless given a reason to.

When to switch back to the supersonic taser gun speed?
This I believe is a more important question yes. I'd like to know the answer myself.

Last edited:
Cloud-to-cloud would be 1.6 gigajoules as per the above article and britannica says an average of 10^4 to 10^7 m/s (Still looking for the pdfs on this). Cloud-to-ground lightning would be half the energy, and has the speed of 4.4x10^5 m/s (Mach 1282) that we use as per our sources.
See
For this part I'd say both since they'd usually have full control over the lightning bolt they're shooting at. Like DemonGod said, no reason why they'd ever hold back unless given a reason to.
This I believe is a more important question yes. I'd like to know the answer myself.
More like:

You see a character "playing with electricity". How to determine that said character is shooting taser guns or lightning leaders or lightning return strokes?

More like:

You see a character "playing with electricity". How to determine that said character is shooting taser guns or lightning leaders or lightning return strokes?
Well, it kind of depends on the character's electricity type and the feats in their verse honestly.

For example, not all versions of Electro wield actual lightning. Like his Spectacular version.

But most of his other versions can (They can even transform into both cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning and even use it as a weapon directly or by manipulating the lightning from the clouds).

There is also, well, Zeus. Greek God of the Skies and Lightning, King of the Olympians. His very name and appearances bear a heavy motiff to lightning in general and he wields lightning bolts as sticks of death.

So basically, the things to look out for here would be: Amount of MHS to MHS+ feats within the verse, the character's relationship to the electricity wielding powers, the character's ability to be able to channel lightning from the clouds, the lightning bolts wielding the appropriate voltage/ampere values to wield the energy value comparable to lightning (Though at that point it's a speed-related thing and not AP because the voltage/ampere thing already gives us the AP) etc.

Well, it kind of depends on the character's electricity type and the feats in their verse honestly.

For example, not all versions of Electro wield actual lightning. Like his Spectacular version.

But most of his other versions can (They can even transform into both cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning and even use it as a weapon directly or by manipulating the lightning from the clouds).

There is also, well, Zeus. Greek God of the Skies and Lightning, King of the Olympians. His very name and appearances bear a heavy motiff to lightning in general and he wields lightning bolts as sticks of death.

So basically, the things to look out for here would be: Amount of MHS to MHS+ feats within the verse, the character's relationship to the electricity wielding powers, the character's ability to be able to channel lightning from the clouds, the lightning bolts wielding the appropriate voltage/ampere values to wield the energy value comparable to lightning (Though at that point it's a speed-related thing and not AP because the voltage/ampere thing already gives us the AP) etc.
You mention the point: how the said character wields electricity.

So the lightning return stroke has been found to be around 100,000 km/s (one-third of the speed of light).

And such lightning return stroke "is the most luminous and noticeable part of the lightning discharge".

I wonder if lightning from Emperor Garuda is actually return strokes since his lightning is specifically one return stroke rather than a leader, since it looks like "highly electrically conductive plasma channel" with a thunder - signs of a return stroke.

You mention the point: how the said character wields electricity.

So the lightning return stroke has been found to be around 100,000 km/s (one-third of the speed of light).

And such lightning return stroke "is the most luminous and noticeable part of the lightning discharge".

I wonder if lightning from Emperor Garuda is actually return strokes since his lightning is specifically one return stroke rather than a leader, since it looks like "highly electrically conductive plasma channel" with a thunder - signs of a return stroke.
Last I remember, unless specified explicitly what lightning type is used, we usually use the leader of the lightning as our basis for lightning.

Perhaps, we could use various speed values for the different lightning variation types assuming the fictions make use of them? Certainly seems interesting. Not sure about their energy yields tho, since most lightning-based feats are reserved for speed feats only most of the time.

Last edited:
Last I remember, unless specified explicitly what lightning type is used, we usually use the leader of the lightning as our basis for lightning.

Perhaps, we could use various speed values for the different lightning variation types assuming the fictions make use of them? Certainly seems interesting. Not sure about their energy yields tho, since most lightning-based feats are reserved for speed feats only most of the time.
May I list out some speed values first:
Type / Speed (m/s) / Speed (Mach)
Cloud-to-cloud - Low end / 10000 / 29.15451895
Cloud-to-cloud - High end / 10000000 / 29154.51895
Cloud-to-cloud - Arithmetic mean / 5005000 / 14591.83673
Cloud-to-cloud - Geometric mean / 316227.766 / 921.9468397
Cloud-to-ground (Adopted by VBW currently) / 440000 / 1282.798834
Leader (Screwattack) / 98000 / 285.7142857
Leader (science) / 89408 / 260.664723
Return stroke (Wikipedia) / 100000000 / 291545.1895

Cloud-to-cloud lightning yields 1.6 gigajoules and cloud-to-ground lightning would be half the energy.

So what is set as generally agreed and what as "case by case"?
Since we need to stretch out what to exactly edit at the Lightning Feats page.

May I list out some speed values first:
The average mean value would be the most suitable, which we chose for the cloud-to-ground value AFAIK

Cloud-to-cloud lightning yields 1.6 gigajoules and cloud-to-ground lightning would be half the energy.

So what is set as generally agreed and what as "case by case"?
Generally agreed: Natural IRL cloud-to-cloud lightning is 1.6 gigajoules, natural IRL cloud-to-ground lightning is half that.

Case-by-case: Characters having powers that grant them full control over lightning, whether they should scale to the full 1.6 gigajoule value or not (Assuming of course, they have consistent MHS+ feats, can transform into lightning and stormride clouds/channel lightning from the grounds into their bodies to shoot at opponents at full power/hurl actual lightning bolts, have a heavy lightning motiff and/or are dishing out enough voltage/amps to get the adequate energy value, and aren't holding back on their power).

And of course, adding the speeds for cloud-to-cloud/intra-cloud lightning and whether characters would scale to that depending on whether they can transform into actual lightning and then stormride through clouds or whatever.

The average mean value would be the most suitable, which we chose for the cloud-to-ground value AFAIK

Generally agreed: Natural IRL cloud-to-cloud lightning is 1.6 gigajoules, natural IRL cloud-to-ground lightning is half that.

Case-by-case: Characters having powers that grant them full control over lightning, whether they should scale to the full 1.6 gigajoule value or not (Assuming of course, they have consistent MHS+ feats, can transform into lightning and stormride clouds/channel lightning from the grounds into their bodies to shoot at opponents at full power/hurl actual lightning bolts, have a heavy lightning motiff and/or are dishing out enough voltage/amps to get the adequate energy value, and aren't holding back on their power).

And of course, adding the speeds for cloud-to-cloud/intra-cloud lightning and whether characters would scale to that depending on whether they can transform into actual lightning and then stormride through clouds or whatever.
I can see three directions on editing our current page:

(1) Posting out what real life electricity statistics are

Taser projectiles -
Absolute minimum projectile speed - 50 m/s
Effective speed of more potent electricity projectile - 556 m/s

Lightning strike speed

(2) what electricity projectile is I wonder if the form of lightning should be considered.

For instance, does the electricity attack look like a bullet, a cloud-to-ground leader strike, a cloud-to-cloud leader strike or even a return stroke.

(3) "Possibly" proxies

What KLOL says: Can characters be proxied to be lightning level by "verbal descriptions of degree of control over all lightning and electricity"

Last edited:

Taser projectiles -
'pparently the 556 m/s 3700+ m/s values for the electricity projectile speed is a low-ball because it was made by a dogshite tesla gun that wasn't even outputting lethal-enough amounts of electricity, so basically the tesla gun's a low-ball, actual lethal applications might be much, much swifter.

Not too sure about a taser projectile tho, aren't those just spring-loaded darts that are connected to a battery to send electricity after piercing your skin?

'pparently the 556 m/s 3700+ m/s values for the electricity projectile speed is a low-ball because it was made by a dogshite tesla gun that wasn't even outputting lethal-enough amounts of electricity, so basically the tesla gun's a low-ball, actual lethal applications might be much, much swifter.
It is a low ball. And is used for electricity projectiles that do not quite exhibit weaker electricity attacks and do not qualify quite for lightning. Not all electric type attacks are lightning.
Not too sure about a taser projectile tho, aren't those just spring-loaded darts that are connected to a battery to send electricity after piercing your skin?
Yes.
For electric charged darts.

It is a low ball. And is used for electricity projectiles that do not quite exhibit weaker electricity attacks and do not qualify quite for lightning. Not all electric type attacks are lightning.
Yeah, that much we know.

Yes.
For electric charged darts.
Still, can it be attributed to electricity alone? It's not that different from an electrically-run railgun.

So have any agreements been reached here yet?

So have any agreements been reached here yet?
Well so far only one staff responded regarding the whole scaling stuff while Jasonsith and I are just discussing the other questions that may need to be asked about it. So nah, we're nowhere near close to finished.

The whole "IRL natural cloud-to-ground lightning bolt's energy yield is half that of IRL natural cloud-to-cloud lightning's 1.6 gigajoule" thing is accepted tho AFAIK.

Now the only thing left to discuss is whether characters with true lightning-based powers would scale to the full 1.6 gigajoule value assuming all other conditions (Sufficient MHS+ feats, character having a heavy lightning motiff and having full control over lightning as a whole as in being able to transform into lightning and stormriding clouds/channel lightning from the clouds to blast at opponents at full power/hurl actual lightning bolts etc., characters wielding enough voltage/amps to match the energy value of lightning bolts).

Then we found out the various speed values for different types of lightning, and now we're wondering if those speed values can be applied to the characters, provided there are explicit statements for said lightning to be that specific type (If it isn't then the standard 440 km/s value default is what we use). We're also proposing the usability of speed values for various types of lightning (Assuming of course the verse specifies what type of lightning it is).

Okay. Do either of you want to write a summary of what needs to be evaluated here, so we can send a notification to DontTalk and the other calc group members?

Okay. Do either of you want to write a summary of what needs to be evaluated here, so we can send a notification to DontTalk and the other calc group members?
Pretty sure we already did that multiple times now and you already sent a notification to DT and the other calc group members already.

Okay. Perhaps you can quote those posts and write any updates afterwards then, after which I can ask for input again?

Okay. Perhaps you can quote those posts and write any updates afterwards then, after which I can ask for input again?
Sure. These are the comments of most importance:

Well so far only one staff responded regarding the whole scaling stuff while Jasonsith and I are just discussing the other questions that may need to be asked about it. So nah, we're nowhere near close to finished.

The whole "IRL natural cloud-to-ground lightning bolt's energy yield is half that of IRL natural cloud-to-cloud lightning's 1.6 gigajoule" thing is accepted tho AFAIK.

Now the only thing left to discuss is whether characters with true lightning-based powers would scale to the full 1.6 gigajoule value assuming all other conditions (Sufficient MHS+ feats, character having a heavy lightning motiff and having full control over lightning as a whole as in being able to transform into lightning and stormriding clouds/channel lightning from the clouds to blast at opponents at full power/hurl actual lightning bolts etc., characters wielding enough voltage/amps to match the energy value of lightning bolts).

Then we found out the various speed values for different types of lightning, and now we're wondering if those speed values can be applied to the characters, provided there are explicit statements for said lightning to be that specific type (If it isn't then the standard 440 km/s value default is what we use). We're also proposing the usability of speed values for various types of lightning (Assuming of course the verse specifies what type of lightning it is).

This is an extension of the above summary

Taser projectiles -

Lightning strike speed

(2) what electricity projectile is I wonder if the form of lightning should be considered.

For instance, does the electricity attack look like a bullet, a cloud-to-ground leader strike, a cloud-to-cloud leader strike or even a return stroke.

(3) "Possibly" proxies

What KLOL says: Can characters be proxied to be lightning level by "verbal descriptions of degree of control over all lightning and electricity"

And this was you tagging all the calc members.

Back