• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lightning Feats Attack Potency and Durability

Randomlamdom

They/Them
Currently the scaling to lightning is 8-c (1.6 gj, 0.19 tons). the problem is actually reading the page it links is that the 1.6 value is for cloud to cloud lightning, while cloud to ground lightning is half that. that means everyone who scales to it needs to be downgraded to 9-a+. this shows every page that links to lightning feats but there are probably many other that don't have a link

Planned on just putting this in content revision but i'd love some help or if anyone has a better idea

Last edited:
I have seen full IC bolts be rated from 2e+8 to 7e+9 J with many articles also stating a 5 gigajoule average, which when halved to accomodate for CG lightning, that's about... 2.5 gigajoules?

EDIT: Original link not found but here's another reliable-to-use link.

Last edited:
This is only halfway related to OP but apparently tanking lightning bolts in the air isn't enough to scale to their full yield anymore. Just saying it here so if we have to revise the pages that do this is considered as well
I remember something about also requiring to be in close proximity to the lightning, because since the atmosphere is such a terrible conductor, it straight up gives resistance to the lightning the farther it moves. More distance it moves, more the resistance, and the more energy it loses out overall.

Like, if you're several kilometers away from the bolt when it hits you, you are in no way gonna take even a fraction of the full yield. Otherwise if you just relied on the voltage value and current alone that'd wield energy values way, way higher than what the scientific PDFs tell you.

Yeah you'd need to be really near the cloud or just scale through a UES.

Yeah you'd need to be really near the cloud or just scale through a UES.
Or if someone's shooting lightning bolts at you (Notably Zeus in all forms of media where he won't be ******* around and finding out and putting all that might into the bolts), be within melee range of them or get struck at point-blank range (Last I remember a Halo calc had a peer-reviewed PDF link where it stated that point-blank starts at 1 m) WHILE BEING IN THE AIR and possibly while having bruised skin. Skin also provides resistance and apparently skin has its resistance lowered when it's battered and wounded. It had a PDF value attached to it but that link is dead.

Last edited:
so, the conclusion? Does this mean a character who is on the ground being struck by lightning from the clouds will only gain half of the 1.6B Joules?

Halving for cloud-to-ground seems ok.
For durability high up in the air + the lightning doesn't exit the object again (which I suspect it does for an airplane) scaling should be approx. fine. Don't think it would loose most of its energy in the first few meters. But yeah, otherwise just don't scale to RL lightning. It's mostly relevant for the speed stuff anyways tbh.

Halving for cloud-to-ground seems ok.
For durability high up in the air + the lightning doesn't exit the object again (which I suspect it does for an airplane) scaling should be approx. fine. Don't think it would loose most of its energy in the first few meters. But yeah, otherwise just don't scale to RL lightning. It's mostly relevant for the speed stuff anyways tbh.
So uh, what energy yield do we go with? 1.6 gigajoules then halving? Or 5 gigajoules average from the other energy values calc'd in the PDFs and halving that?

And fictional characters with lightning powers shooting lightning bolts would more or less maintain that full value without requiring to need their lightning yield halved, the halving is only necessary for actual IRL bolts, correct? Since they wouldn't exactly be screwing around and have full control over their bolts generally.

I would go with 1.6 GJ /2.

And fictional characters with lightning powers shooting lightning bolts would more or less maintain that full value without requiring to need their lightning yield halved, the halving is only necessary for actual IRL bolts, correct? Since they wouldn't exactly be screwing around and have full control over their bolts generally.
Fictional lightning powers scale to none of those energy values, so yeah, they don't need adjustment.

I would go with 1.6 GJ /2.

Fictional lightning powers scale to none of those energy values, so yeah, they don't need adjustment.
K then.

So the halving is only necessary for characters that only summon real cloud-to-ground lightning bolts, while characters who shoot lightning bolts from their hands or some shit, or transform into one using fictional lightning powers are fine where they are (AKA they'd just scale to the full yield), right?

Last edited:
K then.

So the halving is only necessary for characters that only summon real cloud-to-ground lightning bolts, while characters who shoot lightning bolts from their hands or some shit, or transform into one using fictional lightning powers are fine where they are (AKA they'd just scale to the full yield), right?
Bump?

probably gather some more input, in regards to that lemme

@Antvasima could I ask you to maybe gather some input? Thanks in advance
Basically we're just waiting for DontTalk to elaborate on this:

K then.

i mean this is sitewide i think an opinion or two more couldn't hurt

i mean this is sitewide i think an opinion or two more couldn't hurt
I could tag a couple more calc members if that's fine with you.

But honestly I'd wait for DontTalk's response to my comment first, then I can go ahead and tag the calc members necessary for this. Just don't wanna leave any comment unanswered, is all.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay. The members I called for still visit at times though.

K then.

The characters that just shoot lightning from their hands would scale to nothing IMO. Like, a fictional character shooting electricity probably doesn't necessarily need more power to do so than a tesla coil does or something.

Basically, they would get whatever feats the lightning produces.

The characters that just shoot lightning from their hands would scale to nothing IMO. Like, a fictional character shooting electricity probably doesn't necessarily need more power to do so than a tesla coil does or something.

Basically, they would get whatever feats the lightning produces.
What if the character has an affinity for lightning (As in, being able to fully wield cloud lightning, channel it through their bodies) and hurls actual lightning bolts and/or can transform into real lightning? Would the bolts causing severe damage on a bigger scale than what IRL lightning does or having the appropriate ampere/voltage value make them scale?

Remember, this is just for characters that can actually utilize lightning from the clouds, channel it through their bodies and then blast it at full power or be able to punch out that much power via high-enough ampere/voltage values or transform into an actual lightning bolt, this isn't for characters that just shoot electricity and don't have other showings of manipulating lightning blasts in and from clouds and such or MHS+ showings.

Last edited:
Well the character that can shoot natural lightning is what the dodger is fighting against. So is the lightning shooter shooting cloud to cloud lightning or cloud to ground lightning? Given the distance... I tend to incline towards the former, i.e. cloud to cloud lightning.

But again, what said by KLOL should be taken into consideration.

Just... are Magenmite and Pichu (Pichu scale from Igglybuff and Cleffa anyway) having their MHS+ removed by this?

Well the character that can shoot natural lightning is what the dodger is fighting against. So is the lightning shooter shooting cloud to cloud lightning or cloud to ground lightning? Given the distance... I tend to incline towards the former, i.e. cloud to cloud lightning.

Just... are Magenmite and Pichu (Pichu scale from Igglybuff and Cleffa anyway) having their MHS+ removed by this?
I remember DontTalk saying that if the lightning is big and powerful enough it should be fine to assume as MHS+.

So what are the conclusions here so far?
Both I and Jasonsith are waiting on an answer from DT regarding this:

What if the character has an affinity for lightning (As in, being able to fully wield cloud lightning, channel it through their bodies) and hurls actual lightning bolts and/or can transform into real lightning? Would the bolts causing severe damage on a bigger scale than what IRL lightning does or having the appropriate ampere/voltage value make them scale?

Remember, this is just for characters that can actually utilize lightning from the clouds, channel it through their bodies and then blast it at full power or be able to punch out that much power via high-enough ampere/voltage values or transform into an actual lightning bolt, this isn't for characters that just shoot electricity and don't have other showings of manipulating lightning blasts in and from clouds and such or MHS+ showings.

And this:

Back