• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Light Manipulation question

Peppypony

She/Her
Let's say there's a character with light manipulation and it is stated that the character's projectiles are literally made out of light. Like, they're actual light that can also damage their opponents like typical laser beams,

If there are characters who are stated to have the same level of speed as that light and while it's not guaranteed, they are able to react to said light by not only dodging but also blocking it. Does that make those characters the speed of light?

The projectiles would need to meet enough criteria to be considered lightspeed, or at least not have any anti-feats

Reacting to light by dodging or blocking can be as low as lower or higher than Speed of Light, so such feats need to be calced.
But (assuming both fighters are Tanker classes) sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and the in-story explanation for that is because they're just as fast as those projectiles so therefore they're not always going to able to dodge them all the time. So if any tanker class were to be listed as lower or higher than Speed of Light, then that would contradict the story. The way I see it is just like if a person in real life tries to punch me, if they're just as fast as me, then I could either succeed or fail to react to it (e.g, dodging it or grabbing their fist) before it hits me.

Although this character is a Tanker class which are canonically the slowest fighters in the verse, they are still able to react to non-Tanker class fighters though, just not as well. So could that make every non-Tanker class character around baseline FTL?

Referring to whether they're enough to count as light.
  • "The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or..."
    I mean we don't ever see it interact with water I can tell you that
  • "The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror."
    We haven't seen it being used against a non-magical mirror, only reflected off of a magical forcefield (although the forcefield has shown to be incapable of reflecting anything besides light if that means anything)
  • "The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources."
    There hasn't been any statements saying whether it's faster or slower than lightspeed nor have there been any statements saying that they do travel at lightspeed.
  • "It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source"
    Yes, one character has said that unlike with other energy projectiles, his is literally light made up of protons
  • "It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera."
    there is one attack where the character uses his hand to fire down this like 10 meter wide cylinder-shaped laser beam that comes from wherever the nearest solar system star is and strikes down upon his opponent (like Solar Beam from Pokémon) but aside from that, no.

• "It is shown at different speeds in the same material."
    no it isn't
  • "It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans."
    if you mean tangible as in you can touch it just like any solid object (e.g, metal or wood) then no it's just once it hits the opponent, they get hurt by it and sometimes even knocks them back.
  • "They do not travel in straight lines unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above"
    no they do travel in straight lines

probably, what exactly are you reffering to
This character of mine named Leticlaw’s powers.
  1. Shoots a light beam from his spear
  2. A large light beam that comes from wherever the nearest solar system star is and strikes down upon his opponent
  3. Leticlaw’s shield has a secret camera and flash mode. It causes a shockwave that knocks back and damages his opponent
  4. Letclaw jumps and stabs down on the ground to make an explosion of light as an attack which also knocks his opponent back
  5. Leticlaw can create miniature balls of light from the palm of his hands that explode upon impact
So I forgot about number 3 completely. how there have been characters who dodged that but also there was a scene which I even wrote like this slow-mo scene showing characters jumping out of the way right before the light traveling from the camera hits them which they had to do in order to avoid getting hit by the attack.

Although one thing I changed from my previous comment being "only reflected off of a magical forcefield (although the forcefield has shown to be incapable of reflecting anything besides light if that means anything)" yeah that shield doesn't even reflect light anymore. I was still writing stuff, but I think I'm happy with what I've written now so far.

Last edited:
This character of mine named Leticlaw’s powers.
  1. Shoots a light beam from his spear
  2. A large light beam that comes from wherever the nearest solar system star is and strikes down upon his opponent
  3. Leticlaw’s shield has a secret camera and flash mode. It causes a shockwave that knocks back and damages his opponent
  4. Letclaw jumps and stabs down on the ground to make an explosion of light as an attack which also knocks his opponent back
  5. Leticlaw can create miniature balls of light from the palm of his hands that explode upon impact
So I forgot about number 3 completely. how there have been characters who dodged that but also there was a scene which I even wrote like this slow-mo scene showing characters jumping out of the way right before the light traveling from the camera hits them which they had to do in order to avoid getting hit by the attack.

Although one thing I changed from my previous comment being "only reflected off of a magical forcefield (although the forcefield has shown to be incapable of reflecting anything besides light if that means anything)" yeah that shield doesn't even reflect light anymore. I was still writing stuff, but I think I'm happy with what I've written now so far.
wh- if its your character then you decide whether its real light or not, and if hes calling down beams from the nearest stars then thats bare minimum a few hundred times light speed

wh- if its your character then you decide whether its real light or not, and if hes calling down beams from the nearest stars then thats bare minimum a few hundred times light speed
Yeah uhhh… real light or not, it travels and arrives in 2.6 seconds and he even used it in ???’s Palace which is approximately 6 billion light years away from any star.

The original Hub Universe length was taken from the map that can be now found on the Animazians verse page. This is even faster than the originally anticipated MFTL+ speed feat being crossing 120 billion light years in 24 hour so… yeah this entire thread is awkward… 0.e

Back