• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Layer's vs scaling chains.

I think we should list some of the worst examples of the issue that the OP is combating.

Like some of the "infinite layer" stuff people have mentioned.

That's a scaling chain that 4 long and people claim it's 4 layers.

A > B > C > D > E

Now replace the number 4 (how long it is) with infinity. (And well I can't really show a infinity long scaling chain)
I mean yeah, ofc the thread is dealing with that. Why wouldn't it?

with the new thread in the staff discussion, is there anything left for this thread or should I close it?

What if we forced people to write the layers on the profile with CRTs? Wouldnt it stop this whole abusing thing since it would have to be accepted beforehand?

What if we forced people to write the layers on the profile with CRTs? Wouldnt it stop this whole abusing thing since it would have to be accepted beforehand?
this is how it should be anyway tbf
i.e
Gravity Manipulation (7 Layers - [justification])

This is absolutely the best solution but there's no way in hell that's happening. Getting staff to change the profile formatting standards is like pulling teeth.
Hmm would they be opposed to just making a note asking people to write layers on the profiles?

The explanation part for the standart profiles was supposed to be where we explain the layers, dimensionality and etc. So that part is already covered

Regarding this specific example, doesn't gravity hax fall under an ability which can be quantified like fire manipulation?
fair point actually
though there is a difference between WITHSTANDING gravity hax (lifting strength) and resisting/being immune to it, which is what layers would be for?
i get what you're saying though, just imagine i said mind or soul hax or powernull or something

Now this is a subject that's becoming increasingly more annoying to deal with, namely because of how easily abused "layers" are made out to be.

The Issue

Let's get right into it shall we? As we all know people tend to abuse layers to inflate a characters powers and abilities while simultaneously confusing a scaling chain for layers of negation, some some verses even having a supposed "100 layers." which is ridiculous to even think.

I keep seeing the term layered being thrown around for power's and abilities, which typically leads to inflation. Such as nonsense like "Steve>>>>> Paul >>>> Todd >>> Gregory>>>>> Amanda >>>>> Bob >>>>>> Frank >>>> Ralph's fear manipulation." being passed as actual layers. The issue with this however is that this shouldn't qualify for layered hax. That's just a simple scaling chain, which doesn't necessarily mean anyone of the aforementioned characters are capable of outright negating the other's resistances.

Actual layers would be whenever character A bypasses the resistances of character B who's resistance allowed them to withstand fire's that teach temperature hotter than the core of the sun.

For something to be considered layered it should be stated or shown that a character can bypass another's resistance. Not just "character A being stronger than character B so that means A can automatically bypass B's resistance despite A never being shown to be able to do so." As this leads to a massive amount of inflation for the simple sake of inflation to make things seem more impressive than they really are. There's at least 12 separate verses that abuses this issue but I won't be naming them of course.

The Solution?

Stop allowing these scaling chains to be passed as layers. In order to qualify for layered hax it should be outright stated that a character can bypass another's resistance, not just them being stronger.

Essentially, a resistance needs to be shown being overcome in order to be truly layered.

Feel free to discuss.
Agreed i don’t even think it should be discussed

fair point actually
though there is a difference between WITHSTANDING gravity hax (lifting strength) and resisting/being immune to it, which is what layers would be for?
i get what you're saying though, just imagine i said mind or soul hax or powernull or something
Even when it comes to mind hax, how will layers work?

Is telepath A > Telepath B is that a layer?

Cuz if Mr A has psychic blocks that resists telepath B nut gets mind blasted by telepath A, that's also scaling right?

Or is it like if Mr A is immune to telepathy and then telepath A hits him, he gets a layer?

A layer is basically each time you bypass a resistance.

Being superior is just upscaling
But when it comes to something like mind control, so many people have varying levels of resistance

Is there a baseline or something for it?

Eg, if you can resist a psylocke (Betsie Braddock)-level telepath then any telepath who can bypass that level gets one layer?

Really wish layers were listed on individual profiles, but I know that's be a Herculean task to pull off. Should have been done years ago when there weren't as many profiles.

Back