• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kusuo Saiki No Psi Nan - Novelization Canonity

ShionAH

He/Him

The Manga Referencing Novel​

Credits to @Edutyn for helping me, he is the goat!
First of all we have to look at the main canon, the manga.
  • We have an instance of Kusuo reading the Novel by breaking the fourth wall, stating that it is the light novel of the series
  • We have another instance where its much more straight forward, in the manga Saiki explains that he can teleport without interval when he removes his limiters. We never saw him do this before, so his explanation to why he can do this is literally telling Kusuke to read the novel
    • Kusuke right after this considers this explanation valid, implying that the events in the Novel also happened in the manga or something similar to that
      • Remember THIS MUST BE a connection, imagine you run fast and I ask how you did it. Saying you did it due to a fictional story/something that never happened in this universe would make no sense, it WOULD make sense if you said you did it because you trained in July 13th or something.
  • Our Hero Studies characters appear as plot points in both the manga and the novel
  • Asuo the writer called the Novelization "Kusuo Saiki has become a novel!" which directly show that its the same character and world in a different setting

Anime Referencing Novel​

Anime is based off the manga, it is pretty similar and just like the manga it has a scene showing Kusuo having the Novel in his hands. Which shows its not just a one-off advertisement or a gag

Novel Referencing Manga​

This is where things get spicy due to the fact that Novel having many more references than the others!

Counter Arguments

• "It's just 4-Wall Break that doesn't affect the story!"
Incorrect.

Chapter 53, Saiki in that instant breaks the fourth wall and poses for the cover, but surprise! The 4-Wall Break affected the original story and allowed Kusuo and Yuuta to meet. Not enough?

Chapter 73, the chapter is based on the real world popularity survey (4-Wall Break), but oh surprise! The whole universe revolves around that popularity poll! Affecting everything from social status, influence and even eating rights. Still not enough?

Chapter 206, which takes powers SENT BY THE FANS and incorporates it into the story. Even showing a box full of powers with a paper that said "Saiki Kusuo No Psi-Nan Useless ESP".
  • "It's just a joke to explain how power works."
  • "It is simply a gag!"
  • "Simply fourth wall breaking!"
I grant that TDLOSK is a joke manga and always tries to soften situations for comic enjoyment, in this situation it's not the case. Kusuo had to put his back against the wall to beat Kusuke. Kusuo was forced to teleport continuously and take several hits from the only weapon that has been able to harm him. Knowing that if he failed to control himself, he would kill his brother and his friend. So instead of a joke, it is an explanation at an important point in the story.

There is also the fact that in the verse, fourth wall breaking is not just used for gags. They are genuinly actual powers and plot points as explained above.
  • "Wouldn't these mean that the Novel is not even real? It is just a work of fiction in-verse? [Since Kusuo can read it]"
No! Not at all, this can be explained by Kusuo just having a crazy amount of fourth wall breaking. He did several times read his own manga inside of the manga
  • "Well all these connections Saiki! He breaks the fourth wall all the time so that is not enough!"
Actually, these feats and connections are not just done by Saiki. Side characters such as Nendou who unlike Saiki generally does not break the fourthwall still can know the manga, Nendou literally remembers the promise he made all the way back in Vol 0!
  • "It's a crossver event".
Which is correct, it is a crossover of works written by the AUTHOR HIMSELF. Its the same damn author

Besides, let's take Chapter 244 as an example, in that chapter Haganeno appears again and after bothering Saiki for a while, he sends him to another dimension.

My Hero Studies seems to share the world together with Kusuo Saiki, they appear both in the Manga and Novel as actual plot points.
  • "Author is different!"
Correct... expect not really. Hinata did write most of it but they worked together and Asou stated he approved it. This is also just a really bad point lol...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
This is so Skibidi toilet rizz kai cenat jelqing flicker gooning gyatt absolute sigma gigachad moment
tom_lea_-_2000_yard_stare.webp

I can’t see any reason for something written by the OG author which has multiple references to the other work wouldn’t be canon. Agree.

While the only real flaw I see is that it appears as if the Mangaka did the art for the light novel not the writing, having Saikou in the manga directly call to the light novel as a means for understanding powers and abilities he possess in the manga I think is strong enough evidence to support both being cannon to one another.

Edit:
So for now, I support this revision

While the only real flaw I see is that it appears as if the Mangaka did the art for the light novel not the writing
That is true, author only seemed to do the art. From what I know he called the characterization and the plot “even better than my writing” so he approves it though

Thanks for your help, do you mind calling other staff?

I as such never had a problem with the canonization of the novel, that's why I kept a neutral perspective or wasn't interested in the thread where DT downgraded it, from what I see this thread seems to make sense so I agree.

Shouldn't DT at least be notified and, if possible, allowed to share his stance before the thread end? He was the one who did the downgrade thread iirc, making an upgrade thread while he's away while just prompt him to do another downgrade later on, that will also prompt you to do an upgrade thread, ad infinitum.

Shouldn't DT at least be notified
Not really, last time I was not notified. That is not a rule if he wants he can come and give his opinions but we dont have to force him with pings

Last edited:
Not really, last time I was not notified. That is not a rule
I wasn't stating it as a rule, more like, courtesy of the opponent? I don't know, it feels like DT will come back and do another thread. Which would only be bothersome for you and him.

In the last CRT for this [when he went to vacation] he told us to continue without him, I dont know if he is still on break though

The Manga Referencing Novel​

Credits to @Edutyn for helping me, he is the goat!
First of all we have to look at the main canon, the manga.
  • We have an instance of Kusuo reading the Novel by breaking the fourth wall, stating that it is the light novel of the series
  • We have another instance where its much more straight forward, in the manga Saiki explains that he can teleport without interval when he removes his limiters. We never saw him do this before, so his explanation to why he can do this is literally telling Kusuke to read the novel
    • Kusuke right after this considers this explanation valid, implying that the events in the Novel also happened in the manga or something similar to that
      • Remember THIS MUST BE a connection, imagine you run fast and I ask how you did it. Saying you did it due to a fictional story/something that never happened in this universe would make no sense, it WOULD make sense if you said you did it because you trained in July 13th or something.
  • Our Hero Studies characters appear as plot points in both the manga and the novel
  • Asuo the writer called the Novelization "Kusuo Saiki has become a novel!" which directly show that its the same character and world in a different setting

Anime Referencing Novel​

Anime is based off the manga, it is pretty similar and just like the manga it has a scene showing Kusuo having the Novel in his hands. Which shows its not just a one-off advertisement or a gag

Novel Referencing Manga​

This is where things get spicy due to the fact that Novel having many more references than the others!

Counter Arguments

• "It's just 4-Wall Break that doesn't affect the story!"
Incorrect.

Chapter 53, Saiki in that instant breaks the fourth wall and poses for the cover, but surprise! The 4-Wall Break affected the original story and allowed Kusuo and Yuuta to meet. Not enough?

Chapter 73, the chapter is based on the real world popularity survey (4-Wall Break), but oh surprise! The whole universe revolves around that popularity poll! Affecting everything from social status, influence and even eating rights. Still not enough?

Chapter 206, which takes powers SENT BY THE FANS and incorporates it into the story. Even showing a box full of powers with a paper that said "Saiki Kusuo No Psi-Nan Useless ESP".
  • "It's just a joke to explain how power works."
  • "It is simply a gag!"
  • "Simply fourth wall breaking!"
I grant that TDLOSK is a joke manga and always tries to soften situations for comic enjoyment, in this situation it's not the case. Kusuo had to put his back against the wall to beat Kusuke. Kusuo was forced to teleport continuously and take several hits from the only weapon that has been able to harm him. Knowing that if he failed to control himself, he would kill his brother and his friend. So instead of a joke, it is an explanation at an important point in the story.

There is also the fact that in the verse, fourth wall breaking is not just used for gags. They are genuinly actual powers and plot points as explained above.
  • "Wouldn't these mean that the Novel is not even real? It is just a work of fiction in-verse? [Since Kusuo can read it]"
No! Not at all, this can be explained by Kusuo just having a crazy amount of fourth wall breaking. He did several times read his own manga inside of the manga
  • "Well all these connections Saiki! He breaks the fourth wall all the time so that is not enough!"
Actually, these feats and connections are not just done by Saiki. Side characters such as Nendou who unlike Saiki generally does not break the fourthwall still can know the manga, Nendou literally remembers the promise he made all the way back in Vol 0!
  • "It's a crossver event".
Which is correct, it is a crossover of works written by the AUTHOR HIMSELF. Its the same damn author

Besides, let's take Chapter 244 as an example, in that chapter Haganeno appears again and after bothering Saiki for a while, he sends him to another dimension.

My Hero Studies seems to share the world together with Kusuo Saiki, they appear both in the Manga and Novel as actual plot points.
  • "Author is different!"
Correct... expect not really. Hinata did write most of it but they worked together and Asou stated he approved it. This is also just a really bad point lol...
------------------------------------------------8----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely agree!

Back