• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ken vs Sagat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
This battle takes place in an alternate universe, where Ken Masters, instead of Ryu, reaches the final round of the first World Warrior Tournament. His opponent is Sagat, the God of Muay Thai. Who'll be the winner in this reality?

• Ignore everything I said previously, it's just for plot's sake, both characters are to be considered up to date according to their profiles.
  • Both are 9-A and scale to literally the same thing, just like they do for speed.
  • The battle takes place in the Thailand Stage.

Ken Masters: 2 (Rez, Sonicflare9)

Sagat: 7 (EliminatorVenom, BlackDarkness679, Oleggator, Peppersalt43, XSOULOFCINDERX, Coolboy6, Knifeman29)

Inconclusive:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
But currently Sagat and Ryu they should be equal, or at least this is implied in the games.
That piece of story is just to give the match a plot, but the profiles are for both at their latest appearance.

Ken seems to play more aggressively than Ryu.
Also iirc, Ryu beated Sagat in Street Fighter 1 if that's the case but I guess it's not really canonical ending of first street fighter (?)

But also since Ken is cocky it can turn out bad for his case. And Sagat would not try to cheat, though Ken does not plays much unfair.

Ken also have enhanced senses on his hand which might would give him advantage in predicting moves.

For now I'm leaning towards Ken high diff via his Enhanced Senses.

Ken seems to play more aggressively than Ryu.
Also iirc, Ryu beated Sagat in Street Fighter 1 if that's the case but I guess it's not really canonical ending of first street fighter (?)
The first SF ends with Ryu about to lose, but then he awakes the hado and oneshots Sagat. From that point Ryu, Ken and Sagat all got better and in SFIV-early SFV they seem to be all equal in power.

But also since Ken is cocky it can turn out bad for his case. And Sagat would not try to cheat, though Ken does not plays much unfair.

Ken also have enhanced senses on his hand which might would give him advantage in predicting moves.

For now I'm leaning towards Ken high diff via his Enhanced Senses.
Counted.

Welp, now thread at the infinite despair of being bumped for a month...

I think I should speed up things a bit.

I'm actually going to be the Devil's Advocate here and say Sagat wins, although far from easily.

While technical arguments can be made for both sides (Ken is fleetier, more agressive, is basically the same as Ryu, Sagat has more reach physically and is probably stronger), I think that those are really somewhat on the secondary side considering Street Fighter as a whole. They do not fight all that much like real life, and while on a purely physical standpoint, by real life rules, Sagat would have an advantage, it isn't really relevant enough for this match-up.

No, the reason I think Sagat wins is the whole mental fortitude and preparation he went through. Ryu and Ken trained the same way, and as fighters, it is fair to say that they are equally strong, but Ryu grew up mentally much more than Ken did over the course of the series, fighting way more people in more varied scenarios, and he was continually taught and put through journeys of all kinds. It is a rather hard thing to express in words, but Ryu went through much more than Ken, and they are fundementally different characters and fighters. It is fair to ask where I'm I going with this, as we are talking Sagat V.S. Ken, not Ryu V.S. Ken, and trying to scale Sagat to Ryu in mentality is a faulty logic.

But here's the thing. Sagat underwent the very same type of journey as Ryu went through. Many of the trials Ryu had over the course of SF, Sagat did exactly the same, such as seeking Dhalsim and purifying his mind. He's not only more experienced than Ken, but he is much more mentally prepared than he is. Again, I am not saying that Ken is undisciplined, idiotic or brash, far from it. Ken is a highly disciplined and skilled fighter. But the whole point of the Ryu and Sagat arc dynamic is their interaction of each other, of their mutual betterment and how he was always training to beat Ryu.

I think Sagat would win more times than he'd lose because he has a superior mentality to Ken, being not only more experienced, but also more disciplined, clear headed and purposeful. This probably sounds dumb, but honestly, one of the biggest factors in fighting skill is mentality, and in that department, Sagat has Ken beat. Ken can certainly beat Sagat and I'd expect him to win a fair amount of times, but I think Sagat is the more likely one to win.

Looking at Eliminator's reasoning I'll probably would change vote to Sagat, high-diff no matter of choice but still, with some exaggerations Sagat seems more "adult" here, in a way. Experience in general and experience with Ken's fighting style via Ryu (while Ken haven't fought Sagat in canon iirc) should help.

So with keeping that in mind I'll probably change my vote to Sagat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back