• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Zero Point Breakthrough

Alright everyone, I'm finally back for a bit. Sorry for the wait, school has me busy. But I can finally discuss Zero Point Breakthrough and their variants.

Let's talk about what the Zero Point Breakthrough itself is in general, before we get to any of the variants.

To understand the Zero Point breakthrough, we must first understand that there are plus, minus, and zero states of being. While in dying will mode, Tsuna can be in either the plus or minus state, but almost always seems to start in the plus state. I don't believe it's possible to first enter dying will mode in the minus state. The zero state is achieved by depletion of the dying will through doing nothing at all. While the zero point breakthrough into the minus state, is emptying one's dying will beyond that of doing nothing, entering the literal opposite of the dying will.

To summarize briefly:

Plus State: Hyper Dying Will Mode

Zero State: Tsuna with mittens

Minus State: Hyper Dying Will Mode of negative energy

Being in minus state allows Tsuna the capacity to negate damage. This was first shown when he was seemingly knocked unconscious by one of Xanxus' attacks, but was subsequently "reborn" in the minus state. The Zero Point Breakthrough First edition is achieved by exposing the dying will flames to that same minus state, the reversal of the poles causing ice that seals as opposed to flames that burn. Which is consistent with the description of the oath flames given in the Inheritance ceremony arc.

In my reading I never came across a quote that said that Tsuna could only freeze dying will flames with First Edition. That is likely an anime only thing. But it is true that they can only be undone with a very pure dying will flame. Thusly, when Tsuna does things such as freeze water, or freeze portions of weapons that lack dying will flames, there is actually no statement against such. The freezing of dying will flames also serves to nullify the attack, much like his petrification. The original purpose of the Zero Point Breakthrough was simply to nullify attacks. First Edition is an expansion upon that. It should be noted that Reborn describes it as a "highly compressed negative energy" in contrast to the plus state.

Next up, we have Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised, a technique Tsuna obtained mid battle with his Vongola Intuition. It allows Tsuna to use the minus state as a way to absorb flames, requiring a specific positioning of the hands in order to use it. Tsuna still nullifies the attack when using this technique, but simply takes the energy from the nullified attack. The most clear example of this is when he fought Genkishi, and he stopped his blade attack with his hands, but absorbed the dying will flames from said attack.

To bring to a conclusion, most of these abilities are likely already on his profile. Ice Manipulation, Attack Nullification, Absorption This is merely an expansion upon how his abilities work, so that it's clear for anyone not as familiar with the verse.

I agree with everything mentioned, but I would like to add that ZPB: First Edition has sealing properties and there are a few characters who have melted or negated it with their own flames, so they should probably have resistance to its attributes.

In addition to that, Tsuna was shown to resist energy absorption by using Zero Point Breakthrough: Revised (In the battle against Ghost).

Anyway, can you give a summary of what you wish to change?

Ah, true.

@Ant

There's not much I want to change aside from adding the resistance to energy absorption like YungMazi said. This is mostly to clear up the mechanics of the verse, as the vsbattles involving characters from the verse brought up a lot of controversy with regards to them.

Also, this should presumably be the last thread for the verse unless YungMazi has something to add. All that's left to discuss is scaling. And then we should be ready to perform updates.

I think this is it. This and how we scale the characters AP/Durability. I also wonder if resistance scaling should be a thing.

Resistance scaling as in: Bermuda is never shown to have resistance to illusions, but he should at the very least be able to neg low tier illusions (Which is honestly a lowball)

Okay. Adding a resistance seems fairly uncontroversial.

There's not much else to say on this that's not already said

And a lack of resistance to illusions is something a lot of their profiles have, like Kawahira

Yeah. I agree with resistance scaling considering the nature of the verse, and the mechanics of their abilities. The Flames of Sky, Earth, and Night all seem rather closely connected. In particular since the attributes of the seven sky attribute flames work on the other eight attributes.

Let's do the scaling discussion on the post with regards to their 6-C AP. It should be fairly straightforward. Once we have that, we can revise the verse, making sure to divide up their abilities by key.

Back