• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jujutsu Kaisen Speed Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the viz translation (the official one) is the one that should be used, due to the fact that reached, which doesn’t necessarily contradict exceed, is more of a direct comparison to the speed of sound, and DOZENS of times is a big difference when choso scales far higher over maki
Raws take precedence as Kanji is very specific and of course the original language.

The second part of your argument isn't based on anything objective. Dozens of times is like mach 12 and can extend forever. Lightning is typically the next closest thing and is much further into the mach scaling. No where even close to relativistic in the thousands. So going on what we're given (it eclipsing the speed of sound) it is fine to assume the result isn't a contradiction.

Raws take precedence as Kanji is very specific and of course the original language.

The second part of your argument isn't based on anything objective. Dozens of times is like mach 12 and can extend forever. Lightning is typically the next closest thing and is much further into the mach scaling. No where even close to relativistic in the thousands. So going on what we're given (it eclipsing the speed of sound) it is fine to assume the result isn't a contradiction.
It does take precedence, because the author of the series chose viz to interpret gege’s work. The viz also is not contradictory to the raw, it just specifies moreso that it reached the speed of sound, which is moreso just above. And the argument for it not being a real bullet is also there, considering the students were ordered not to kill anyone besides yuji, using a real bullet doesn’t make sense, and we also know mai had rubber bullets

Omniscient Viz
That’s blatantly not what I’m saying. Obviously if the viz were to totally contradict the raw then I’d understand, but it doesn’t. It only extrapolates on the raw, and adds specification, saying it reached the speed of sound, and the attack slows down after it starts and still hits yuji

No. Because Gege gave viz the rights to publish their work and their interpretation of their work. Plus, the raw version isn’t contradictory to the viz, but the viz moreso implies that it’s “reached” or is relative/just above the speed of sound, which is still far below Mach 27. There’s nothing to suggest it’s actually a real bullet, all we know is that she brings rubber bullets with her to the event. The other argument is that the students were not ordered to kill any student except for yuji so using a real bullet doesn’t make sense
That doesn't mean anything, the clearer translation of the Gege meant isn't superseded by a potential translation error from an English translation.

Pretty sure Maki shot the rubber bullet out of a revolver, which means the rubber bullet would be theoretically faster given it's being propelled at the same speed a metal bullet would be but is lighter.

That’s blatantly not what I’m saying. Obviously if the viz were to totally contradict the raw then I’d understand, but it doesn’t. It only extrapolates on the raw, and adds specification, saying it reached the speed of sound, and the attack slows down after it starts and still hits yuji
Except you are claiming Viz is contradicting the raws. The raws clearly state the attack EXCEEDS and not REACHES. This is a clear difference in intention, so yes Viz is wrong in this instance.

That doesn't mean anything, the clearer translation of the Gege meant isn't superseded by a potential translation error from an English translation.

Pretty sure Maki shot the rubber bullet out of a revolver, which means the rubber bullet would be theoretically faster given it's being propelled at the same speed a metal bullet would be but is lighter.
Yes it does. How is the other translation “clearer” if anything, the viz would be since it’s non contradictory, but still extrapolates on the raw. And if it was an error, they would’ve corrected such. This stuff is obviously reviewed more than once. And no, the speed of a rubber bullet is 60m/s https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Rubber_bullet#Riot_control_use

It does take precedence, because the author of the series chose viz to interpret gege’s work.
No, Gege gave them rights to trnaslate and publish his work. Viz is not some alternative timeline like TEOI verse dragonball. It's literally an English publishing company buying the rights to publish the work. Mistrasnaltion is just a human error.

Either way none of what you are saying would ever mean the Viz would supercede the raws from the actual author of the story. That's pretty much like saying Viz holds more authority over the scene than Gege himself, and you wouldn't believe it even if he told you himself.
The viz also is not contradictory to the raw, it just specifies moreso that it reached the speed of sound, which is moreso just above. And the argument for it not being a real bullet is also there, considering the students were ordered not to kill anyone besides yuji, using a real bullet doesn’t make sense, and we also know mai had rubber bullets
Yes, and we give more weight to the more accurate description, in this case the one describing the attack as superseding sound. Which means the result is perfectly fine.

Except you are claiming Viz is contradicting the raws. The raws clearly state the attack EXCEEDS and not REACHES. This is a clear difference in intention, so yes Viz is wrong in this instance.
No. It says “said to reach the speed of sound” is NOT contradictory to exceed. It doesn’t say it hasn’t exceeded the speed of sound, BUT the more direct COMPARISON being made is between the speed of sound and the convergence.

Also wasn't the bullet Maki deflected there actually a real bullet in that feat? Like Mai specifically used her ability there to make a bullet (useless M
It wasn't stated to be a real bullet.
She can create any kind of matter with her ability, that was an extra rubber bullet.

Yes it does. How is the other translation “clearer” if anything, the viz would be since it’s non contradictory, but still extrapolates on the raw. And if it was an error, they would’ve corrected such. This stuff is obviously reviewed more than once. And no, the speed of a rubber bullet is 60m/s https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Rubber_bullet#Riot_control_use
Yes and those don't use the same means of propelling the bullets. Read the source
"The British developed rubber rounds—the "Round, Anti-Riot, 1.5in Baton"—in 1970 for use against people in Northern Ireland.[11][12] A low power propelling charge gave them a muzzle velocity of about 60 m/s (200 ft/s) and maximum range of about 100 m (110 yd)."

She shot them out of a revolver so you would use that weapon's muzzle velocity, and once again given that the rubber bullet is lighter material, would be propelled faster.

No, Gege gave them rights to trnaslate and publish his work. Viz is not some alternative timeline like TEOI verse dragonball. It's literally an English publishing company buying the rights to publish the work. Mistrasnaltion is just a human error.

Either way none of what you are saying would ever mean the Viz would supercede the raws from the actual author of the story. That's pretty much like saying Viz holds more authority over the scene than Gege himself, and you wouldn't believe it even if he told you himself.

Yes, and we give more weight to the more accurate description, in this case the one describing the attack as superseding sound. Which means the result is perfectly fine.
Are you listening to yourself? You just agreed that gege gave viz the right to translate their series, and since I’ve explained in previous replies to other people how the interpretations are not contradictory, we should go with the publications translation, as they hold the rights to OFFICIALLY translate the series

No. It says “said to reach the speed of sound” is NOT contradictory to exceed. It doesn’t say it hasn’t exceeded the speed of sound, BUT the more direct COMPARISON being made is between the speed of sound and the convergence.
What ... Reaching a speed and exceeding a speed are very different concepts. Reaching a speed means it is equal in speed. Exceeding a speed means it is greater than. I hope I have to explain how these two meanings are contradictory in nature.

Yes and those don't use the same means of propelling the bullets. Read the source
"The British developed rubber rounds—the "Round, Anti-Riot, 1.5in Baton"—in 1970 for use against people in Northern Ireland.[11][12] A low power propelling charge gave them a muzzle velocity of about 60 m/s (200 ft/s) and maximum range of about 100 m (110 yd)."

She shot them out of a revolver so you would use that weapon's muzzle velocity, and once again given that the rubber bullet is lighter material, would be propelled faster.
I don’t see how that follows. The material/texture of these things are also important. Like friction, a rubber bullet would be slowed down leaving a chamber, where as normal ones wouldn’t be nearly to the same extent. I would need a deeper explanation or study to support that claim

What ... Reaching a speed and exceeding a speed are very different concepts. Reaching a speed means it is equal in speed. Exceeding a speed means it is greater than. I hope I have to explain how these two meanings are contradictory in nature.
No, because it doesn’t say it’s capped out at, or hasn’t exceeded this speed, it says it’s at least reached this speed, but the viz draws are more direct comparison to the speed of sound, so we should take this interpretation

Are you listening to yourself? You just agreed that gege gave viz the right to translate their series, and since I’ve explained in previous replies to other people how the interpretations are not contradictory, we should go with the publications translation, as they hold the rights to OFFICIALLY translate the series
I am, I don't think you know what you're talking about. What Gege wrote in the originally published Japanese is straight from his mouth. The English translation is just that, a translation. When discussing canon we use what is most cloest to the author's own words, and in this case we have them. Viz making a human error of translation doesn't mean anything. I don't understand how you don't get this. There ability to OFFICIALLY translate the series means nothing about what is written in the viz compared to what was published directly from the author.

I am, I don't think you know what you're talking about. What Gege wrote in the originally published Japanese is straight from his mouth. The English translation is just that, a translation. When discussing canon we use what is most cloest to the author's own words, and in this case we have them. Viz making a human error of translation doesn't mean anything. I don't understand how you don't get this. There ability to OFFICIALLY translate the series means nothing about what is written in the viz compared to what was published directly from the author.
Yes it does, because if gege was so adamant about the wording, they would’ve clarified with viz and it would’ve been amended, but this is what was accepted, and as I’ve iterated and explained to multiple people several times, the interpretations ARENT contradictory. Nobody either has given a solid refutation to the maki feat being a real bullet

Yes it does, because if gege was so adamant about the wording, they would’ve clarified with viz and it would’ve been amended, but this is what was accepted, and as I’ve iterated and explained to multiple people several times, the interpretations ARENT contradictory.
That is an assumption on your part you have no way of proving or making a claim on. Viz was slightly off, you think Gege was going to make them amend the publishing with a whole new batch of books?

They don't have to be contradictory. We still take Gege's words with precedence, and thus the feat is acceptable. Your argument would only means something if the raw said matched the speed of sound and the viz said exceeded, in which case Gege's would take precedence.

No, because it doesn’t say it’s capped out at, or hasn’t exceeded this speed, it says it’s at least reached this speed, but the viz draws are more direct comparison to the speed of sound, so we should take this interpretation
This is ... so blatantly wrong. I reach a weight loss goal when I lose that much weight. I exceed the weight loss goal if I go beyond it.

Once again, the raws DO say the attack exceeds the speed of sound. The Viz translation says it reaches the speed of sound. Both statements directly compare to the speed of sound. One is equal to, the other is greater than.

I think the viz translation (the official one) is the one that should be used, due to the fact that reached, which doesn’t necessarily contradict exceed, is more of a direct comparison to the speed of sound, and DOZENS of times is a big difference when choso scales far higher over maki
If the raws say otherwise, the raws take precedence.

Viz isn't infallible, and occasionally, it's really bad

Yes it does, because if gege was so adamant about the wording, they would’ve clarified with viz and it would’ve been amended, but this is what was accepted, and as I’ve iterated and explained to multiple people several times, the interpretations ARENT contradictory. Nobody either has given a solid refutation to the maki feat being a real bullet
Translations for JJK are notorious, not just manga, but anime too. Another example is Megumi's "as long as they have a firm personality", which is changed to "she" in the anime. Or like Viz's translation of Nobara and the "seats" in her life, when when the chapter actually came out weekly, she simply told Yuji if you're not in her shoes, don't tell her what to feel.

This is ... so blatantly wrong. I reach a weight loss goal when I lose that much weight. I exceed the weight loss goal if I go beyond it.

Once again, the raws DO say the attack exceeds the speed of sound. The Viz translation says it reaches the speed of sound. Both statements directly compare to the speed of sound. One is equal to, the other is greater than.
If I exceed a weight loss goal, that still means I reached it. And all I’m saying, is that it’s more so compared to the speed of sound, than more than dozens above

If the raws say otherwise, the raws take precedence.

Viz isn't infallible, and occasionally, it's really bad
Sure, but the raw isn’t mutually exclusive to the viz, all I’m saying is that it’s more in the range of SPEED OF SOUND rather than dozens of times faster. Another thing so nobody has adequately addressed why it should be a real bullet, while I provided evidence as to why it shouldn’t be

If I exceed a weight loss goal, that still means I reached it.
Yup, now prove the reverse. Because that is what you are currently trying to argue.

And all I’m saying, is that it’s more so compared to the speed of sound, than more than dozens above
It is exceeds the Speed of Sound, this actually leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Is it wrong though to say that being Mach 26 exceeds the speed of sound?

Head-canon.

Superman is stated to be "faster than a speeding bullet". We don't say he's around the speed of a speeding bullet.
No. I’m saying that the viz, which I’ve thoroughly explained isn’t contradictory, draws a comparison moreso to the speed of sound, but not dozens of times faster. And once again, nobody has substantiated why it should be a real bullet, while I have provided pieces of evidence as to why it shouldn’t, those being the fact she only had rubber bullets at goodwill, and that she wasn’t supposed to kill anyone besides yuji

Yup, now prove the reverse. Because that is what you are currently trying to argue.

It is exceeds the Speed of Sound, this actually leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Is it wrong though to say that being Mach 26 exceeds the speed of sound?
I’m saying that the viz is interpreting it to be more so relative to the speed of sound, not dozens of times faster, and nobody has even proven why it’s a real bullet, while I’ve provided evidence as to why it shouldn’t be

Another thing so nobody has adequately addressed why it should be a real bullet, while I provided evidence as to why it shouldn’t be
A.) That argument is completely separate to the blood attack one in OP.
B.) You used a low end figure from the rubber bullets of 1970 France. Modern Day life like Rubber bullet shooters (which typically are circular and not actual bullet-shaped like the one from the Maki feat from what I recall) can reach 100+ m/s
C.) Maki was intercepted by the shot while trying to attack someone else, and while strong isn't really some pinnacle of reactions in the verse.
D.) Jujutsu kaisen literally revolves around evolving mid fight to surpass difficulties that borderlines as a minor form of adaptive evolution and we've seen this multiple times from several characters in the series.

Well time to go reread the chapter I guess, because the wiki said that Mai fired six shots and was out of bullets, so she used her technique to create a bullet.

That’s fine if you disagree with the statement, but do you have any substantiation for it being a real bullet fired at maki, because I’ve provided evidence that it shouldn’t be
Because the only rubber bullet she fired was at Nobara, when Gakuganji's orders were to kill Yuji, implying she actually does have a real bullet in there.

No. I’m saying that the viz, which I’ve thoroughly explained isn’t contradictory, draws a comparison moreso to the speed of sound, but not dozens of times faster. And once again, nobody has substantiated why it should be a real bullet, while I have provided pieces of evidence as to why it shouldn’t, those being the fact she only had rubber bullets at goodwill, and that she wasn’t supposed to kill anyone besides yuji
And Viz can be wrong, so it doesn't matter.

This is some of the worst Golden Mean Fallacy use I've seen in my life. We're not going to compromise between versions. One version is wrong, so we throw it out.

I've never seen a verse say "it's made out of this, so we don't assume it's similar to ours".

If someone from another verse creates a moon with their energy system, we say it's moon level because we assume it's ~ our moon. We don't say "it's made out of energy", no. We say "it's a damn moon". That logic applies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back