• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jojo's Bizarre Cosmology [Part 1/???]

(Space and Time / Spacetime)

Well, here we are, ladies and gents!

I mean, this inevitably HAD to happen sometime, right? I mean, what with other popular verses getting cosmology pages and all. Still, I can't believe someone hasn’t done this yet given Jojo’s relative presence and popularity on this wiki. I guess you could say DRW001 did it first right here, but that’s more so giving qualitative superiority to something that transcends the entirety of the cosmology, not talking about the cosmology in and of itself.

Welp, guess if anyone’s gonna do it and get the ball rolling.

Why not me?

Welcome to the first, of many, many, MANY CRTs that’ll detail out and ultimately unravel the mystery behind the complex cosmology that spans all 9 parts of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure.

On this grand journey, we’ll piece together the twists and turns of Fate, analyze the utter horrors of Calamity, and even cement what lies beyond it all. Ha, get it? Beyond?-

Yeah never mind, I’ll see myself out…

Bad jokes aside, I’d like to take a moment to emphasize I’m not here to bring forth an entirely fleshed-out page that details any and every part of the cosmology. To be blunt, it’d take two months of straight work, ignoring the real possibility of heavy burnout, to complete such a humongous task, and that’s free time I simply don’t have to spend all at once. Even if I did have said free time to spare, I sure as hell wouldn’t want to spend it sitting at my computer, endlessly typing until my fingers fall the **** off.

So, I reached a decisive compromise.

I’ll simply split everything up into bite-sized and digestible parts, having the added bonus of active feedback on my CRTs that’ll allow for more perspectives than just my own.

But in any case, that’s enough introduction (aka yapping) outta me…

Let’s get this party started off right!

So…SPACE

It’s a complicated topic, isn’t it? I mean, I’d say so. From what scientists currently understand, the Universe is, at least, 46 billion light-years across. That’s a staggering number already, but multiple scientists can confidently conclude that the Universe is STILL expanding as I type this, and it has no signs of stopping anytime soon. But I obviously know you knew that already.

Nevertheless, as much as talk about how the Universe is NOW intrigues scientists, many also want to know how it all ends… Although I find it sorta funny I say now as if this is remotely a new idea.

People have been looking into this field of research for decades upon decades at this point, and it’s not as if I’m here to give an entire astronomy lesson or something, so I won’t.

All I ask is that you take a good look at the manga panel below.
AD_4nXcapPpoGHPdt0y1nAkXtCR-K6oZkIdBVokTYbZgLbsxB5FQPhHUZxD21J2mWU6Fm1njkm5p9P9QXbA08-maj3mADjI1bPOmyv8XpGrFwsSzx8WJcPvUTwdmzihZtXt1oolIqqsbDFA3f4O6mt12N723G2yR

Taken directly from the second-to-last chapter of Stone Ocean, Araki finally decided to shed some much-needed light on what exactly Made In Heaven did a few chapters prior.

In doing so, however, he not only revealed the exact way the original Universe operates, but through said reveal. He gave indisputable proof that the original Universe IS finite as well as all of spacetime itself, let me explain.

But to make this a little interesting, let’s play a little game. Try and guess which cosmological model, from what you can glean from the picture above, the first Jojo universe follows.
I’ll just condense the three theories about the end of the Universe as they currently stand, summarized for your convenience with the wonders of AI.​

• A. Big Freeze - The Big Freeze, or Heat Death, is a theoretical end-of-universe scenario in which the universe continues to expand indefinitely due to dark energy. Over time, galaxies drift apart, and stars exhaust their nuclear fuel, eventually turning into white dwarfs, neutron stars, or black holes. As star formation ceases and matter becomes increasingly sparse, the universe grows darker and colder. As black holes slowly evaporate through Hawking radiation, the universe will become dominated by low-energy particles. Entropy, or disorder, will increase until it reaches maximum levels, resulting in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. In this state, energy is evenly distributed, and no significant processes or activity remain, leading to a cold, dark, and lifeless universe.

• B. Big Rip - The Big Rip is a theoretical end-of-universe scenario in which the universe's expansion accelerates to the point that it eventually tears itself apart. This model relies on the concept of dark energy, which is thought to drive the accelerated expansion of the universe. If dark energy's repulsive force grows stronger over time, it could cause the rate of expansion to increase exponentially. As the expansion accelerates, galaxies, stars, planets, and eventually atoms would be torn apart. The process begins with the gradual disruption of cosmic structures, such as galaxies and solar systems. Over time, the force of expansion would become so intense that even fundamental particles like protons and neutrons would be ripped apart. The universe would end in a state where all matter and energy are dispersed beyond recognition, leading to a fragmented and highly disordered cosmos.

• C. Big Crunch - The Big Crunch is a theoretical end-of-universe scenario where the universe's expansion eventually reverses, leading to a catastrophic collapse. This model assumes that the universe’s gravitational pull, due to its total mass, is sufficient to overcome the expansion driven by dark energy or initial conditions. In this scenario, the expansion of the universe, which has been ongoing since the Big Bang, slows down and eventually halts. As the universe’s expansion reverses, galaxies, stars, and other cosmic structures begin to collapse back towards each other. This process accelerates as cosmic matter and energy are drawn closer together. Over time, the universe contracts, and temperatures rise dramatically. The universe’s density and temperature increase, leading to a state where matter and energy are compressed into a singularity, potentially resulting in a state similar to the conditions of the Big Bang. The Big Crunch would culminate in a highly dense, hot state, potentially leading to a new Big Bang.

• D. Big Bounce- The Big Bounce is a theoretical model suggesting that the universe undergoes a cyclical process of expansion and contraction. According to this hypothesis, after the universe reaches a maximum size, it begins to contract under its own gravity, leading to a Big Crunch. However, instead of ending in a singularity, this contraction could potentially lead to a new Big Bang, initiating a new cycle of expansion. This concept offers an alternative to the idea of a single, linear timeline for the universe, suggesting a more dynamic and recurring cosmic process.

If you picked A or B, then congrats! You didn’t get it right, but hey, at least you tried. Anyway, if you picked C or D on the other hand, then a big virtual clap from me to you!

From this manga panel alone, while taking other pieces of corroborating information into account. We can already glean a myriad of things right off the bat.

First and foremost : We can say, without a doubt, that the world of Jojo’s Parts 1-6 falls in line with the Oscillating Universe Theory. If you want more evidence besides what I’ve pasted above, Pucci flat-out confirms it here. An admittedly pretty jank Jojoveller translation can be found here also, but when you're making a CRT. Anything helps I suppose.​

AD_4nXeD00-0WVpar4f3mojEYHhhxbX2AGe1q0Unu1ogC5gTfaJlNmuukj4_tDpDXhPfcTK2LMqi4qv-FRnchExw0PeM1eWMJvcmp4q6U6586XiwRM0LMsSXUEtR03lk5uuv27qTY4of5DL7jjmSEX34e1eJCMHK

From there, we can further establish and cement the presence of three base astronomical events that will be CRUCIAL going forward.​

• The Big Crunch - Although not CLEARLY outlined as an event in the panel above, it doesn’t take much to figure out that it happened for absolute certainty. Vol. 17, Ch. 156 shows us Emporio on the back of a dolphin, clinging on for dear life as the Earth’s geography rapidly shifts and changes around him. Then, in a literal instant, everything’s just…gone. The Earth, Our Solar System, Our UNIVERSE at that. Everything that was, let me reiterate, JUST THERE, is gone. Still, it makes sense, he DID just accelerate the entire Universe to its end. An indisputable fact that is aided, albeit unnecessary given what just happened during the last 8 chapters, with what is briefly highlighted on the aforementioned panel.
  • Singularity Point - We see the infinitely dense ball in all its glory on a previous page, and again briefly here. It’s also highlighted, in visual and word form, on the aforementioned panel.
  • The Big Bang - It’s quite literally what comes after the singularity, and is the only reason a new universe begins from said singularity in the first place. Although not highlighted on the aforementioned page like the Big Crunch, I don’t feel the need to write more than this on it specifically.

With that out of the way, you might be asking yourself. “Just how is this “indisputable” proof that space, at least when referring to the original universe, is finite?”
“Sure, it’s solid proof that the original universe follows a cyclic model, but how does it relate to the limiting of space?”

Well, I’m glad you asked, and so I’ll explain it like this.

A truly infinite universe has NO spatial boundaries, extending forever in all directions as it is infinitely large. If it wasn’t, it can’t be called infinite, as basic logic follows and tells us. An infinite universe also can’t have a beginning and a set ending, as having both would be a heavy contradiction. If an infinite universe HAD a beginning where it was smaller than it already is, it can’t have an end within the confines of finite time, less it stays finite itself. An infinite universe, with our current understanding of physics, has to always be, and always have been, infinite in size. Sure, it COULD expand from its already infinite size, but it’d just become a higher infinity, so it isn’t really “expanding” in the conventional sense of the word.

Now, let’s confer that with what we know.​

• The original universe started with an initial singularity that was infinitely dense and hot.
  • The original universe, from that point, exploded in a big bang and began its lifecycle from there.
  • The original universe’s lifespan was, AT LEAST, tens of billions of years old, yet still finite.
  • The original universe, after having expanded all it could, snapped back due to gravity’s pull and collapsed in on itself.
  • This Big Crunch created another singularity, which started the process all over again.
Speaking of lifespan though, I believe it’s about “time” to get into the other half of the CRT.

Ha, get it? Get it-

I’ve gotta stop doing this…

(Time)

Since we’ve established that the original universe is spatially limited, it’s time to tackle the other side of the equation and prove the same thing. It IS called spaceTIME, after all.

Known by any and all reputable scientists as the “4th dimension”, Time is a fickle thing to be sure. You feel like you don’t have enough of it at any given moment, and yet you have hundreds of billions of seconds left in your life. It’s really all about perspective and how you perceive whatever comes your way, but I didn’t come here to give you an encouraging life lesson.

I came here to make some instant waves in the status of one of my favorite fandoms on this wiki, and that’s exactly what I plan to do.

That reminds me of something I wanted to mention- Oh yeah!

(ゴゴTHE WORLDゴゴ and you, briefly talking about Time-based abilities in Jojo)

Stand abilities that deal with Time itself are always a joy to observe in action, aren’t they? If not for the awe you feel from seeing these grandiose abilities be used, then for just how rare they actually are in canon.

Having said that, have you ever wondered why abilities like The World have instantaneous activation speed if the universe itself is infinite in size?

No? Well, in all honesty, me neither until I actually decided to make this CRT, but that’s beside the point.

What is the point, however, is the fact, under the assumptions of an unending universe. This shouldn’t be the case at all.

Grabbing a short snippet from the Speed page of this wiki. We see that, under the Infinite Speed section, it states that an infinite speed character is “able to travel any finite distance in zero time, or move an infinite distance within a finite amount of time.”

Applying this logic to a stand ability like The World and other abilities like it within the series. It doesn’t make sense for said abilities to cover the length of the supposed “infinite” universe in zero time. The only way it’d really make sense is if the ability itself was being used in a finite universe, crazy thought I know.

But wait! I hear you cry, “What about StrymULTRA’s CRT he made at the beginning of the year?”

Well, to that I’d say, it’d still be perfectly valid if we were talking about ANY other verse.

Stryum’s entire argument hinges on the single idea that the concept of Time in Jojo’s is infinite, but to REALLY sink my teeth into their argument. I’ll paste the main block of relevant text from the Tiering System page, tie it back to my argument above, and then finally break it down with a relatable analogy.

“The relationship between the spatial dimensions of a universe and the additional temporal dimension(s) may be visualized as something akin to the frames of a movie placed side-by-side. Basically, the time-like direction may be thought of as a line comprised of uncountably infinitely many points, each of which is a static "snapshot" of the whole universe at any given moment, with the set of all such events comprising the totality of spacetime.”

Alright, so in a spatially infinite and temporally everlasting universe, this idea would certainly follow logically. It got accepted in a CRT, after all. Since Spacetime is made up of the Past, Present, and Future, and the universe in this example is perpetual. Under this idealized example, uncountably infinite “snapshots” do make sense.

To go a little further for explanation’s sake though.

Someone like Yoshikage Kira with Bites The Dust, when using his ability to blow up approximately 1 hour of time, would be blowing up infinitely many snapshots in doing so. These snapshots require infinite energy to fully destroy, and so this is how every Time manipulator in Jojo got to High 3-A.

This is because when you try to take away from the infinite, you still simply end up with infinity as an end result.

Take the original Jojo universe, however, and we run into a logistical hang–up…

“We can say, without a doubt, that the world of Jojo’s Parts 1-6 fall in line with the Oscillating Universe Theory.”

Remember when I said that? Yeah, as it turns out. A big part of that theory, or any rational cosmological theory for that matter, is that the universe DOES end. Even if we don’t know WHEN such an event will take place on the grand cosmic stage, many theories base their ideas on the fact it WILL happen sometime within the next 100 billion to 100 trillion years or so. Yes, some estimates DO go that high, believe it or not.

Back on topic though, the original universe’s timeline simply can’t be made up of uncountable points for one reason and one reason alone.

The timeline, when ONLY referring to the universe of Parts 1-6, is finite in length, looping on itself due to the structure of the universe’s cosmology.
While we, of course, can’t figure out how much time passed between the point of time accelerating and The Big Crunch. The thing is, we don’t need a sure and pinpoint accurate number. All we need to know is that the universe ended in a finite period, that’s it.

Now at this point, I’d like you to take a second and imagine you have two boxes. One infinitely long box and one uncountable-long box, but only one set of infinitely long cards.

You successfully put the infinitely long set of cards in the infinitely long box, but you can’t quite manage to stuff every single card into the other box.

Sure, you can fit an INCOMPUTABLE number of cards into the uncountably-long box, but NOT every one.

It’s truly a useless task, you can never house the infinite in the finite, after all.

See what I’m getting at?

The Jojo timeline, given its limited scope, would have AN INESTIMABLE amount of points, true.

It just can’t have AN INFINITE amount of points, the timeline itself is just too short to contain that many.

So, to go back to our ever-so-evil serial killer, Yoshikage Kira.

Someone like Yoshikage Kira with Bites The Dust, when using his ability to blow up approximately 1 hour of time, would be blowing up unimaginably many snapshots in doing so. Instead of needing INFINITE energy to do so, he’d need a MASSIVE but FINITE amount of energy to do so.

Now, the next line of thought that may be running through your head is, “Well, this is all well and dandy, but what about Strym’s point they made at the beginning of their CRT?”

“It being assumed to be only 3-A essentially says that if Kira is in an infinite universe, he wouldn't be able to use it because of the place being too big for the ability being used.”

Well, that IS correct, in a sense at least…

“Irrelevant range” DOESN’T mean infinite or unmeasurable,
It just means their range DOESN’T MATTER BECAUSE they’re stopping time for the WHOLE universe.

The handful of statements that note every time-manipulating stand as affecting the whole “world” whenever they use their ability just backs up that reasoning,

In essence, I don’t know what’ll happen if someone like DIO activates The World in an infinite universe.

All I know is that his ability, as it’s used in canon, affects a finite universe.

At the end of the day, hypotheticals are unimportant.

With all this having been said, TLDR…​

• The original universe that Parts 1-6 take place in is not only limited spatially but temporarily as well.
  • The spatial argument is backed up by Made In Heaven’s antics as well as the instantaneous activation speed of several time-based abilities in Jojo.
  • The temporal argument is also backed up by Made In Heaven’s antics through the Oscillating Universe theory as well as the line of logic that follows.
  • Finally, Irrelevant doesn’t mean Infinite, and other statements like “affects the whole world” only add to the arguments above.
What comes of this?

Well, everybody from the original universe, and universes that are similarly adjacent, go right back to 3-A with vastly altered justifications.

So, for example.

That’d be Canon Jotaro, his OVA version, but NOT his Eyes of Heaven version.

Why?

Because Eyes of Heaven has an infinite multiverse, not just for the SBR-verse, but for the original universe as well.

The multiverse isn’t something that’s present in the original universe, so the way time-based abilities function works is slightly different.

How is it different?

Well, I can’t tell you exactly right now, but I’m already finalizing the SBR portion of this CRT that’ll basically tell all.

I could’ve included it here, but this CRT is pretty long already.

So I simply opted to leave it out and instead get something posted before Sunday so I can ideally post the SBR portion of this CRT by the weekend’s end.

In short, everyone who isn’t named Canon Jotaro, OVA Jotaro, DIO, Yoshikage Kira, Diavolo, and Pucci can keep their High 3-A ratings. At least for now.​

Agree:
Neutral:
Disagree:

Last edited:
Back