• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

John Wick Lifting Strength

So everyone good with changing him from Class 1 to Peak Human or Super Human?

Again he's definitely not Superhuman. He's Athletic Human to Peak Human at best.

I'd give him Peak Human cuz he does it a lot easier than even the heaviest wrestlers would be able to.

Sorry but what feat would give him superhuman here? Snapping necks with levarge technique is possible with athletic human, throwing the gun to throw someone off there center of balance isn't really a big strength/lifting feat...

Yeah Id be in favor of athletic human likely/possibly peak human here to be safe but if enough feel peak human is the best Im fine with it. He definitly doesn't seem to have a feat that would throw him into superhuman

I'm good with Athletic, likely Peak Human or something along those lines.

Yeah so are we all good with At least Athletic Human likely Peak Human?

@The pen or the sword - action movie heroes do use holds, but generally there's enough space that an opponent's body should usually twist with their motion.

Fair enough, who knew not using proper holds would lead to higher strength ratings (wonder how much of that is just from Hollywood not understanding/caring about physics/anatomy?) lol

I think we are decided with at least athletic human likely peak human unless there are any protest?

Aren't tearing feats considered as scalable to lifting strength?

I believe so, but has he tore apart anything that would fall in Class 1?

Wouldn't snapping necks count as tearing force?

Know what after that painful google search I have no idea how to quantify neck snaps at this point. I thought it'd be simple but what ive found basically tells me all neck snaps we see in movies break the legitimate laws of physics. The only way to break a neck Ive found involves grappling a person restraining there body then twisting upwards and sideways. Event then its meant to be a slower application of force.

Neck snapping as it's displayed in media ignores the fact the body will follow the motion of the neck rendering an attempt to snap it without restraining the body pointless. The problem isn't even force its physics not functioning that way.

Theoretically it should be possible if you grapple someone but even then its not a quick process its a slow twisting motion as you restrain there body to ensure their body doesn't move with the neck. I can't exactly find a case of anyone using it though because strangulation is a far easier to accomplish feat, though it commonly breaks bones in the neck.

So in the end I think its probably enough to give john superhuman lifting strength...

Though im now leaning towards a larger crt that adresses necksnaps in general, im really not sure we should be using them to qauntify characters lifting strength. Especially when outside the snapping of necks they don't show any similar levels of strength

Anyway apologies I was mistaken

Yeah this feels like something that needs to be adressed giving class one lifting strength to every action hero because hollywood doesn't like physics and doesn't want to waste money on cgi/makeup for long winded beating scenes seems off especially since many action heros never display a similar level of strength outside this snapping feats

...........And here I was hoping to hoist this responsiblity onto someone else sure give me some time to compile what information I can to set it up. It seems like a simple matter but Id like to ensure I get all the neccsarry information. Let me know if anyone has some extra information to contribute/you want to assist me in this.....I don't even watch that many action movies! I liked john wick well enough I just thought his rating was off....I should have left it alone!!!!! :p

I can help you out with it I guess? I remember actually trying to work out the physics of a can opener and how much force someone can apply with it, so I can try to find that.

Not sure how much that would help though as the can opener is one of the weaker neck cranks.

One thing that could be helpful is if you could get me list of three to five action hero characters who's lifting strength comes from them snapping necks, Like I said I don't watch many action films thus Im not sure where I should be looking.

If your familiar with them, all the better cause Im mostly looking for people like john who deserve atheletic to peak human without neck snapping feats. In the meantime Ill go hunt around the physics of neck snapping to ensure I get all the pertinent infromation I can.

That can opener thing could be useful as well, heck while your at it if you spot any prevelant information related to other twisting/snapping of the neck let me know

Hmmm I feel this crt would be focused on getting neck snapping dubbed an outlier for strength and instead note it as a technique of some form rather then a feat of strength. Maybe have us turn neck snapping into a notable technique that while not possible is just something certain action characters can do. Like pressure points or open palm strikes.

Yeah that sounds good. The only exception should be something like crushing someone's neck and breaking it that way.

Punisher (MCU), Sam Fisher, Watchdogs (Maybe?).

OF course crushing a neck is a different matter, though in those cases it should be noted how the neck is crushed as that can vary the neccesarry force. when stomping on a neck it is not uncommon to break the bones as the neck has nowhere to bend/go. Saying that if someon straight up punches hard enough to break the neck thats a whole other matter.

Yeah we should probably make a separate thread for this. I meant like wrapping your fingers around their throat and using your grip strength not striking which would be AP.

Anyway I think we're good to go on John's lifting at least, so we can close this thread for now.

Er...I mean it really doesn't change the fact that none of John's feats are provably superhuman. He snaps necks easier than it would be in real life, but that could easily be a peak human feat.

But sure we can wait a bit more.

No, the issue is that other action heroes don't do them realistically.

Wick's breaks are based on Sambo which does have real neck cranks, so again nothing superhuman. That's literally been my point this entire time, that Wick has fairly realistic grappling, so he doesn't need superhuman strength to pull of breaking someone's neck.

Ok on quick notice I can't find any right now. I can only find one's where he smashed the dude's neck till it was broken (eg. John Wick 1 with the table and 3 with the book).

There is a pretty cool video where it demonstrates how all his moves are based in competitive moves martial arts though.

Sam fisher has a supporting feat of throwing others into the air and some decent stats overall from other feats so he doesn't quite fit I want to focus on examples who's only feat noted for lifting strength is neck snapping

Oh here's one (skip to 1:35). This one is still a bit light on realism, but it still works. He cranks her head upwards till it locks then uses her chin for leverage while stopping her torso from twisting by positioning himself in some sort of weak rear mount.

Could you show where Sam throws someone several meters? Cuz the video where that happens is just him pushing someone off a roof.

Back