• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

John Wick Lifting Strength

Link to such a thing being possible? I've actually never heard of any human being able to accomplish such a feat. Regardless aim dodging a firearm is a very difficult and impressive feat, that's something most people cant even pull off.

Actually police tend to miss a lot of the time due to poor training handling fire arms. Someone much more skilled such as someone who's been in comabt in the military is obviously going to have a lot more success at hitting a target than let's say your Ordinary cop would. I don't think there's ever been a case of any human aim dodging a bullet from a close range, under a short time frame and by someone who knows how to use a gun properly. John does this repeatedly while under very bad situations and on a whim. Cops panic often, which greatly decreases your ability to focus and aim. That's much different than military firearm traning where your firearm is your primary tool and you spend months upon months training with your firearm and being taught not to panic. There's a pretty big difference in a cops ability to utilize a gun to its maximum efficiency and a soldier's ability to utilize a gun to its maximum efficiency.

When I looked at the previous examples of John's aim dodging half of them involved the shooter missing the first shot which altered John to their location or shots that went so wide it would have never hit him in the first place.

But as before this is off topic. Do you have any evidence backing Class 1 or not.

Assembled1801 said:
So what about sending an heavily armored soldier flying by tossing a rifle at their helmets during the Continental shootout in Chapter 3? Their armors can withstand direct shots from pistols that can penetrate walls and steel beams.
Throwing a rifle with enough force to send an armored soldier flying is easily a superhuman feat, because as far as I know, no human is capable of doing that.

So I suggest you change his lifting strength from Class 1 to SuperHuman.

Superhuman for now maybe. But throws seem more like a AP based thing than lifting strength.

Im not sure about that considering johns character Im inclined to believe his neck snapping is more about technique saying that Im no expert, so Ill wait for the calc member to answer :p

@Therefir - I belive that's from the Wikipedia page on hanging.

However, it is a mistake to believe that base lifting strength is the only thing that applies when you add in real-life technique like John uses.

It is entirely possible to break someone's neck with just above average human lifting strength and the right technique. All neck cranks are based around leverage, giving you a mechanical advantage which magnifies the force you apply. That's why spinal locks and neck cranks are banned in a lot grappling competitions.

I train in judo and have friends in wrestling and BJJ. I'm well aware of how much force is needed to break a human neck (a single vertebrae takes around 1000 lbf).

I'm telling you that even a can opener can cause herniated disks during light sparring if you're not careful. Your cervical spine is a pretty good lever, so if you really apply force (a good estimate would be at least 200 lbf for a ~190 lb athlete) that's going to be magnified by several times and it's all going to be on the single vertebrae you've isolated.

Also, when John throws a gun the guy doesn't fly backwards, he literally just flips/lands on his back. It's pain and a loss of balance from his center of mass being thrown out of alignment not the momentum of the object. Peope are conflating the higher energy of the bullet to its momentum. A bullet may be fast but it weighs almost nothing so momentum is tiny and vice versa for the gun. It's not a superhuman feat.

Yeah, in all fairness though I'm not sure how much he should be downgraded though. Athletic Human might work, as that's generally what the heaviest wrestlers in the real life can lift.

Superhuman still sounds best to me. I've had things thrown at me before and never "lost my balance" like that soldier supposedly did.

Eh armor doesn't hinder balance that much, but the weight of the armor doesn't help in any way either.

Again it's not a case of momentum vs momentum, it's body mechanics, where your center of mass shifts past your support points aka your feet. This video (skip to 7:48) gives a pretty good explanation and example.

Here's the video of the feat (skip to 1:31 and slow to 0.25), the guy is literally already tilting backwards (it looks like he's trying to stop and/or backpedal to dodge), so his center of mass is already closer to the edge of his support points. He's trying desparately to block the gun with his arm or avoid it, so when it hits him in the chest/neck it pushes him off balance just enough to make him land on his back.

I said flip before, but more accurately is land on his back. If the guard actually ******* made like a 360 flip that would be clearly superhuman.

Again though this is a easily accomplished real life feat like I described above, especially as the guard was already in a unstable stance.

Basically none of his feats require superhuman lifting strength.

Again none of his stuff is remotely superhuman. Peak Human at best, but Athletic Human seems best to me too.

Yeah but unlike them John hasn't demonstrated such strength. What other action movie characters can do have nothing to do with him.

Which is something that should be investigated further considering with the correct technique atheltic human would be more then enough to accomplish such a feat

Class 1 is only for a neck break without isolating the neck and with minimal leverage.

Basically, the key difference is that the way most fictional characters break necks wouldn't work without superhuman strength. In contrast, most of John's combat is at least semi-realistic.

I still think some of those profiles should be investigated as from memory most action movie heros use certain holds/leverage to snap necks. Of course thats not the focus of this crt so sorry for the distraction.

Back