• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is this Smaug calc usable?

Also, I don't think movie Smaug should have the same tier as book Smaug, the feat of shaking the mountain was book only. Although we do see Smaug in the movies take a giant statue of molten gold getting melted on top of him

Edit: Also, what source gives Smaug's mass of 100 tons?

Gandalf considers Smaug a being of Immense power and nothing really supports the idea that Smaug is any lesser than his ancestors from the War of Wrath, I also think the "mountain level" feats done by him and the Balrog vs. Gandalf figjt indicates some sort of parity.

Gandalf considers Smaug a being of Immense power and nothing really supports the idea that Smaug is any lesser than his ancestors from the War of Wrath, I also think the "mountain level" feats done by him and the Balrog vs. Gandalf figjt indicates some sort of parity.
Ah right, we discussed that in the other thread I think.

I'm still against solidly scaling him to his ancestors as he lacks feats and statements on that level.

Plus we don't actually have a solid generic dragon tier, so he would either downscale to Ancalagon, which is a big no (as that would put him above WoR Sauron) or vaguely around Glaurung at best.

If we do go for that option, I'm personally in favour of an at most or possibly rating.

That doesn't sound all that bad
It's not the worst solution, but the link between the two is somewhat shaky.

Glaurung is a named Dragon of relative power in the Silmarillion, with many dragons being beneath him.

Winged dragons are indeed meant to be an improvement on flightless dragons, but it's hard to outright say that every flightless dragon was inferior to even the lowest winged dragon. Perhaps specifically mighty flightless dragons like Glaurung are superior to some winged dragons, its unknown.

Moreover, Smaug is a relatively young winged dragon, in the sense that he was born several millenia after the War of Wrath, meaning there's an added divide between him and his ancestors in chronology, coupled with the lack of statements of whether he actually compares his ancestors, which adds another layer of skepticism.

Of course, that's not to say Smaug 100% does not scale, as he is still a winged dragon (and last of the great dragons), which were meant to be an improvement on flightless dragons like Glaurung, but it's muddy enough for a fair amount of skepticism.

It's not the worst solution, but the link between the two is somewhat shaky.

Glaurung is a named Dragon of relative power in the Silmarillion, with many dragons being beneath him.

Winged dragons are indeed meant to be an improvement on flightless dragons, but it's hard to outright say that every flightless dragon was inferior to even the lowest winged dragon. Perhaps specifically mighty flightless dragons like Glaurung are superior to some winged dragons, its unknown.

Moreover, Smaug is a relatively young winged dragon, in the sense that he was born several millenia after the War of Wrath, meaning there's an added divide between him and his ancestors in chronology, coupled with the lack of statements of whether he actually compares his ancestors, which adds another layer of skepticism.

Of course, that's not to say Smaug 100% does not scale, as he is still a winged dragon (and last of the great dragons), which were meant to be an improvement on flightless dragons like Glaurung, but it's muddy enough for a fair amount of skepticism.
That seems to make sense.

So what should we do here then?

Please clarify what you mean with debunked, and also wait for a clarification from the calc group member in question first.

I at least support "at least 7-C, possibly higher or whatever we make out Smaug to be"
I'm in favour of the first option, although I'm waiting on Merchant's response.

The alternative would be "at least 7-C, possibly Low 7-B" (from Glaurung's rating) at least in terms of what I would personally accept.

I'm in favour of the first option, although I'm waiting on Merchant's response.

The alternative would be "at least 7-C, possibly Low 7-B" (from Glaurung's rating) at least in terms of what I would personally accept.
Can somebody clarify the basis for Glaurung's and Smaug's respective tiers (Low 7-B and 7-C?) please?

I've made the changes to add a "possibly Low 7-B" based on winged dragons being Morgoth's last resort.

Only "possibly", as Smaug was born over 6000 years after his ancestors were specially made. Merchant didn't make a response.

Back