• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is this Hypersonic?

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Im planning on creating a thread but wanted to know what speed this would be before I made it, Just to see if it's worth making.

I throw a football so fast it sets on fire, then I proceed to catch up to said football and grab it.

To make it less complicated (not counting material nor surface), yes, speed to catchfire due friction with air is Mach 5, although launching is more related to force rather than speed. Someone that catch the ball may or not scale to Mach 5, distance is need in order to determinate the reaction speed.

Wouldn't I still scale for catching up to the flaming ball?.

if was launched from 10 m aways, its means the character had 5.83 ms to react that according to our system is baseline Subsonic+

If I linked the feat would you be able to give an estimate of the characters speed?.

You just need the distance from the ball and the character (or more accurae, the distance from where the character noticed the projectile), then divide it by Mach 5 to get the reaction time.

It's a cartoon so distance is a bit of a problem due to animation. It takes place on a football field.

Antoniofer said:
if was launched from 10 m aways, its means the character had 5.83 ms to react that according to our system is baseline Subsonic+
Yeah, but in this scenario it sounds like he is physically running to the ball mid flight and grabbing it out of the air. If he were reacting to it then yeah, but if he is physically running up to it, then he would have to have anywhere from comparable to greater speeds than the football.

Then determinate the distance than the player moved and divide it by the timeframe calculated from the previous method. If the ball catch fire in mid air then you would need to account for acceleration.

I requested the feat to be calced on the calculation request thread.

I'll just half to wait and see.

LordGriffin1000 said:
I requested the feat to be calced on the calculation request thread.
I'll just half to wait and see.
I'm willing to attempt the calc if you can give me a timeframe. When did he begin running, how long did it take to reach the ball, and how many yards did the ball travel in the time he began running?

With all those question Lord would be the one that makes the calc, not you.

I'm in the process of sleeping, so can't calculate anything.

Antoniofer said:
With all those question Lord would be the one that makes the calc, not you.
I'm in the process of sleeping, so can't calculate anything.
I could probably piece something together if I was shown the clip at the very least. Then I could send to video to watch frame by frame and figure out the timeframe.

@Antonifer

How can I make a calc when I'm complete garbage at doing so.

@Lightbuster

Only if you feel up to it. I've got the feat and a timeframe.

Welp, someone has to learn something new somehow. You can wait until tomorrow and I could check it if you wish, but if someone has to give try then go for it.

Already checked your contributions and found the video there. I make no promises, but I will see if I can do anything. I'll let you know if I feel up to it in a few minutes.

@Antoniofer You do have a point, I'll try.

@Lightbuster Ok. If you don't I'll try.

You said he began charging when? You gave details about where the ball was on the field when the football player began charging. I think it was 75 yards while the player was at 25?

I was just estimating because of it being a cartoon so their exact placement is weird. Let me look again.

Can't get an accurate distance.

Here's the video. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fj3u7

At 3:55 her transforms and looks like he's standing in the middle of the football field.

He throws the ball at 4:10, it sets on fire at 4:13, he starts running and catches up to and grabs the ball at 4:16.

You said it caught fire at the 75 yards, and the player charged from 25? The football player began charging at 4:15, within that time the ball crosses around 3-4 more lines before the player caught it. Meaning it travelled 30-40 (iirc each line is 10 yards) yards in the time it took the player the catch it. The player having caught it, would have to have travelled 50 yards + the extra 30, meaning he travelled 80 yards in the time the ball travelled 30. yards. Assuming I didn't screw anything up then that would be 2.66666667x faster than the ball or mach 13, more or less. It's 2.25x if we assume 40, but thats still > mach 10.

Bear in mind that this is an unofficial calc I did based on the info you gave me. Being "patched" together, I likely missed something.

@Lightbuster

I was referring to the yards of a football field. A football field is 100 yards (120) counting the two end zones.

He seems to be standing at the middle of the field. Meaning he at the 50 yard line. Now, he throws the ball at 4:10 and it sets on fire at 4:13.

Now the ball reaches near the end zone when it sets on fire but the exact yard line is unknown so I assumed it set on fire at the 25 yard line (25 yards away from the player).

He then starts running after it sets on fire at 4:14. He catches up and grabs the football at 4:16.

This would mean he cross at least 25 yards to catch up to the flaming football before it could cross the last 25 yards.

Back