• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is it possible to ban a character from versus debates?

I'm asking this because today I was browsing through Youtube and noticed a Youtuber named "SethTheProgrammer." While that doesn't necessarily matter, I noticed that he is somewhat reasonable but can still be a "mindless DBZ fanboy." Not to insult him, but I just saw that he was drunk with DBZ characters vs. any other character from any other franchise and was adamant in proving that the former would win against the latter (i.e. DBZ characters > any other). While that's an assumption on my part, I hope this introduction would shed some clarity for my next paragraph.

I'm fairly new here and I've participated in a few VS. debates, so I can't really say my requests have any real weight. But is it possible to ban a character from a VS. debate? I'm not saying to ban every DBZ character, but certain characters like Saitama; and here's why; basically, because of how people perceive how Saitama is written makes a fight go one way or another. While he has clearly defined limits, some fights are either mismatches or curbstomped. So why ask the question in the first place? Does said character have any business being in debates of this sort in the first place?

I know this can be an iffy question, but is it possible to outright ban a character from being used in a versus debate? Especially when one character is presumed to be "limitless" in potential even with an ongoing series that can possibly make them stronger? Why include Saitama in a fight when, even though it can be proven without a shadow of a doubt that he can outright annihilate a universe, that he couldn't touch someone like Kitty Pryde? Going back to my first paragraph, why use a highly controversial character in a versus debate? In hindsight, it makes no sense.

Or is it not that big of a deal?

Starkiller215 said:
It is indeed possible for it to happen especially if it is one of those highly controversial characters or verses.
If that's the case, why not take it into effect sooner rather than later? I'm getting bored of Saitama, Goku, and Supes (he's my favorite, and I'm saying this) being used in debates.

Uh well here i know Tier 0's and high 1's are not allowed to be used in VS Threads here due to the redundancy of debating them, and two Xenosaga characters (who are based off religious figures and are pure pacifists on top of that) are also banned from VS Debates here.

@Gold Because they are not that highly debated nor that controversial.

Edit: Of course there are bans on DBZ vs DC comics matches as well.

Yhwach was banned for a while due to being a walking NLF machine. DBZ vs DC is also banned, iirc.

So yes, it is possible to ban characters.

Yhwach is still pretty NLF, tho. Characters are banned usually if there is no way to properly rate them (for example, using Zeno' should be avoided since there is literally 0 clues about his powers, also Yhwach, or High 1-A due to the nature of the tier). Controversial matches are also banned.

NotEvenHuman said:
Yhwach was banned for a while due to being a walking NLF machine. DBZ vs DC is also banned, iirc.

So yes, it is possible to ban characters.
Well actually it was just superman related characters that were banned from fighting Dragon ball characters.

"why use a highly controversial character in a versus debate? In hindsight, it makes no sense."

Controversy is the reason debates happen in the first place. I'm strongly against banning characters for this reason in particular. If you ban a character just because they cause intense debates, why debate at all? The characters you mentioned attract particularly intense debates (and fanboyism) because they are popular and have many fans who will vouch for them in a debate thread. More fans means a greater possibility of fans who engage in misconduct. By this line of logic, we could end up banning any character that happens to be very popular simply because they have rowdy fans.

Well, we are trying to keep this wiki somewhat manageable, and if our members stsrt to strongly resent each other, due to highly controversial subjects, this will cause a considerable amount of unnecessary work and chaos.

We would likely have to start banning lots of people instead, so this solutions seems considerably better to me.

*sigh*

I'd honestly rather ban the misbehavers. It's better to me than banning characters left and right until the Versus forums become inactive from a lack of interesting matchups to discuss.

We have banned very few types of matchups. Only Dragon Ball versus Marvel and DC, as far as I am aware.

Also, if you check the several thousands of threads in our versus forum, it is in no risk of turning inactive.

What I'm trying to say is, with this line of thinking, that list could increase greatly, leaving us with much less interesting topics to discuss.

Dragon Ball versus Marvel/DC was banned because they can attract immature fans, right? It would have been better just to ban those fans than the entire topic and let a few idiots ruin it for everyone. Besides, people with a penchant for bad behavior are rarely limited to one area. If they can't rant about Dragon Ball versus DC, they'll just rant about something else, if they don't just break the rule about discussing it.

It has considerably decreased the hostility in our versus threads, and we do not have the time to constantly monitor all of them for bad behaviour. This is the more convenient solution.

I and the rest of the staff are the ones who have to constantly take responsibility for keeping this wiki from spiralling into complete chaos, not you. So, my apologies, but you have no say in this matter, and I would appreciate if you permanently drop it. Thank you.

My question was mainly pertaining to characters that were so popular that they'd ignite bias on every corner of a debate. For example, if you guys (the mods) are seeing nothing but biased arguments in favor for one character in a versus debate, it could be painfully clear that said character is practically unusable in a debate due to a widespread bias. What could be worse is that a character loses a debate because of misinformation. I'm not talking popularity, I'm talking biased extremes.

So, what specifically do you suggest.

Back