• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Interdimensional and Low Multiversal Range problems (Staff only)

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Our current wordings for Interdimensional and Low Multiversal Range seem to cause confusion regarding the differences between them.

As far as I have understood, the intention of the page is that powers that simply cross the boundaries between different space-time continuums (for example a teleportation portal or an energy blast), regardless whether these are of universal size or not, have Interdimensional range, which also fits with the fundamental meaning of the word itself. Whereas a character needs to affect the entireties of 2 or more separate universal space-time continuums at once in order to qualify for Low Multiversal range.

However, here is what our Range page currently says:

"Interdimensional: Attacks and abilities that can reach beyond the conventional space-time of a single universe, such as into external pocket realities or parts of other universes, but that may not necessarily travel a universal distance.

Low Multiversal: Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within two to one thousand 4-dimensional space-time continuums at the same time."

This does not seem to properly explain the differences/distinctions between the two types of Range in an easy to understand manner, so we may have to improve on them.

Alternately, the standards have changed and I forgot about it.

In any case, help to solve this problem would be very appreciated.

Note: Staff only

As far as I have understood, the intention of the page is that powers that simply cross the boundaries between different space-time continuums (for example a teleportation portal or an energy blast), regardless whether these are of universal size or not, have Interdimensional range, which also fits with the fundamental meaning of the word itself. Whereas a character needs to affect the entireties of 2 or more separate universal space-time continuums at once in order to qualify for Low Multiversal range.
This is correct. The wording should be updated to reflect this closely in order to avoid confusion.

In a word, aye. Update away.

I had a slightly different understanding of what they were supposed to be.
I thought Interdimensional is for reach other universes (or pocket dimensions), without necessarily having universal 3D range in both (common amongst portal users), while Low Multiversal is the same, but with universal 3D range.
So Low-Multiversal, in my understanding, is not strictly affecting the entirety of two universes at once (although that would be the most common feat), but being able to attack any given place in two+ universes from where you're standing.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any good suggestions for how we should updated the descriptions/explanations in a concise and easily understood manner?

I had a slightly different understanding of what they were supposed to be.
I thought Interdimensional is for reach other universes, without necessarily having universal 3D range in both (common amongst portal users), while Low Multiversal is the same, but with universal 3D range.
So Low-Multiversal, in my understanding, is not strictly affecting the entirety of two universes at once (although that would be the most common feat), but being able to attack any given place in two+ universes from where you're standing.
I suppose that the different interpretations need to be discussed first then, so we get some well-working standards, with proper distinctions between the Range options.

DT understanding is also what I thought the current definitions were.

Whether it's correct or not, Idk, these 2 ranges have been confusing for a while now.

Yes, help to work out clearer distinctions between them along with more easily understood explanations would be appreciated.

Actually DontTalkDT makes sense. Interdimensional basically means limited levels of 4-D range to effect pocket realities and/or reach other universes. But Low Multiversal basically means at least 2 universes are within the boundaries of your attack or ability range. It doesn't have to be effected all at once, but as long as it's aware they can reach anywhere within said 2 or more universes in their attack range, it can qualify.

But that would mean that there is no real difference between Interdimensional and Low Multiversal, or Multiversal, or Multiversal+ range.

At the very least there should be a requirement to reach anywhere within a specific number of them at the same time. Otherwise the distinction between these 4 range ratings essentially turns meaningless.

I think there is a difference?
Let me give a practical example by my understanding on how it works:
Say there is a multiverse with infinite parallel dimensions.
  1. Someone with Interdimensional range can stand on our earth and attack someone in roughly the same spot on a parallel universe's earth. However, they might be unable to attack someone on our Mars or someone on Mars in a parallel universe.
  2. Someone with Low Multiversal range can definitely attack someone on our earth, on our Mars and in any other place in our universe. Furthermore, they could attack someone within one of the 2 to 1000 closest parallel universes, no matter if that person is on those parallel universes earth, mars or in some other place of those parallel universes.
  3. Someone with Multiversal range can definitely attack someone on our earth, on our Mars and in any other place in our universe. Furthermore, they could attack someone within one of the 1001 to any higher finite number closest parallel universes, no matter if that person is on that parallel universes earth, mars or in some other place of those parallel universes.
  4. Someone with Multiversal range can definitely attack someone on our earth, on our Mars and in any other place in our universe. Furthermore, they could attack someone within one of infinite parallel universes, no matter if that person is on that parallel universes earth, mars or in some other place of those parallel universes.
IIRC, we made the ranking of interdimensional range for characters that don't have universal/infinite range, yet can affect other universes or pocket dimensions. So it's not strictly above universe level range, but more of a special rating.
I could be wrong about that, though, I would need to look that up.

Yeah, Interdimensional is clearly different than Low Multiversal, Interdimensional exists to avoid given characters Low Multiversal range via teleporting inside or outside the RoSaT among other things and instead treat it as Interdimensional.

IIRC, we made the ranking of interdimensional range for characters that don't have universal/infinite range, yet can affect other universes or pocket dimensions. So it's not strictly above universe level range, but more of a special rating.
Yes; more or less, this standard was what was accepted in the past thread.

Yeah, DT's description is what I thought of when we initially made those standards. Hence profiles such as these were written with Interdimensional + X range they can exhibit.

With all due respect to DontTalk, the problem is that how do we even distinguish between characters that can reach the closest 1000 universes and ones that can reach the closest 1 billion of them, as fiction does not work in terms of mapping this out, and I am not sure if all of it even subscribes to that parallell universes are of different 5-D distances to each other?

At the very least, I think that Interdimensional should be affecting 1 parallell universe at a time with some ability, whereas Low Multiversal should be affecting at least 2 of them at a time, etcetera, in order to define easily understood distinctions/differences between the ratings.

At the very least, I think that the current definitions should not be worsened from their current conditions.

Here is what is currently stated:

"Interdimensional: Attacks and abilities that can reach beyond the conventional space-time of a single universe, such as into external pocket realities or parts of other universes, but that may not necessarily travel a universal distance.

Low Multiversal: Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within two to one thousand 4-dimensional space-time continuums at the same time.

Multiversal: Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within 1001 to any higher finite number of 4-dimensional space-time continuums at the same time.

Multiversal+: Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within an infinite amount of 4-dimensional space-time continuums at the same time."

The initial reason for that I started this thread is that there was some confusion regarding Devil May Cry characters, as they were listed as Low Multiversal for merely being able to travel to other universes via portals and the like, even though that should be Interdimensional as far as I understand our standards.

Help to clear up that issue would be very appreciated.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Message_Wall:Mister6ame6?threadId=4400000000003185087

Last edited:
So, for example
  • Funny Valentine can only travel to the same place in alt. universes in a multiverse with infinite universes, so he should have Interdimensional range.
  • Rick Sanchez can travel into any place in his universe and other infinite universe with his portal gun, but not in other points in time, so he should have Multiversal+ range?
I look forward a wording that makes that fit and makes it clear for everyone.
I think that Interdimensional should be affecting 1 parallell universe at a time with some ability, whereas Low Multiversal should be affecting at least 2 of them at a time, etcetera, in order to define easily understood distinctions/differences between the ratings.
Interdimensional: Attacks and abilities that can reach beyond the conventional space-time of a single universe, such as into external pocket realities or parts of other universes, but that may not necessarily travel a universal distance.

Multiversal+: Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within an infinite amount of 4-dimensional space-time continuums at the same time.
It's good, but then we always take the wording in Multiversal+ as wrong as no one has time travel in their abilities to reach infinite universe (like Rick with his portal gun, he only reaches the present spaces in those universes. I don't think it should say "4-dimensional space-time continuums").

And with that in mind, is the Funny Valentine example Interdimensional or Multiversal+? He can't travel a universal distance like Interdimensional says, but he can reach anywhere within an infinite amount of universes like Multiversal+ is used by everyone, and you did say that Interdimensional would be affecting 1 parallell universe at a time, whereas Funny reaches into infinite universes.

At the very least, I think that Interdimensional should be affecting 1 parallell universe at a time with some ability, whereas Low Multiversal should be affecting at least 2 of them at a time, etcetera, in order to define easily understood distinctions/differences between the ratings.
I feel like this complicates things unnecessarily. For smaller, 3D range values, it's not about how much distance your attacks can cover at once but rather how far an attack could go. So someone with multi solar system levels of range wouldn't have to affect several solar systems at once with their attacks, they'd just have to fire an attack that reaches multiple solar systems away. I'm inclined to agree with DT's suggestion.

I extremely strongly reject modifying our current Range ratings. It would make the difference between Interdimensional and Multiversal+ impossible to discern, and not fit with the structure of our tiering system anymore.

Anyway, to answer Eficiente's questions:

Rick Sanchez being able to travel to a single universe at a time would be Interdimensional teleportation range. If he can affect many universes at a time with one of his inventions, that would qualify as something higher.

Funny Valentine should also have Interdimensional Range, if he can only travel to one universe at a time.

It's not modifying our current ratings. Range has never been about affecting multiple places at once, that's AoE.

In this case it should mirror the tiering system in the number of universes that can be affected at the same time. That is what we use currently. Otherwise Interdimensional, Low Multiversal, Multiversal, and Multiversal+ would essentially merge into the same tier with no distinction between them.

That contradicts how our other range ratings work though. Affecting these places "at the same time" is not a requirement for any 3D range or how range is defined conventionally.

Like, if a character was stated to be able to shoot a character from 2000 universes away or something like that, our current ratings wouldn't give him Multiversal range despite the fact that he can attack characters from multiversal distances.

The problem is that there is no way to distiguish how many universes away that something or somebody else is located, and given that attack potency is given based on number of universes, range has more easily fit into the same pattern. Again, I am definitely not willing to switch to an ill-defined and lesser system to enforce a massive wiki revision for negative gain.

In my example, it is clear that the distance covered was 2000 universes away. Low-Multiversal to Multiversal+ are the only ratings that have this weird AoE requirement for no good reason whatsoever.

It is near impossible to find a fictional setting that defines exactly how many universes away that one universe is compared to another. The current standards are fine. We just need to get better at enforcing them.

It is near impossible to find a fictional setting that defines exactly how many universes away that one universe is compared to another. The current standards are fine. We just need to get better at enforcing them.
Verses with "layered" or visually separate universes like Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Ball quickly come to mind, this just happening spefically for range purposes (Example, hitting X, which is after what's beyond our universe and the one next to us, and so a distance of at least 1 universe away would be at play) on the other hand is not common beyond just dimensional travel or so.

Well, in any case, I am tired of seeing many profile pages wherein our members have found it a priority to even exaggerate the range of all things. I would greatly appreciate help with correcting the ones that list Low Multiversal to Multiversal+ for simply crossing a single Interdimensional distance to another universe.

Back