• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Intangibility and Ghosts

@SD There is a difference between "defeating" and "killing". Even then, you're still affecting a soul in some way if you punch a soul in the face.

In most series souls have no durability. It is in fact pretty notable when you have verses where souls can tank being punched / stabbed / cut, etc.

Then I must ask you, how standard is it? Because from what I've seen, it doesn't tend to be that way.

I'll probably legit be in the minority here. However I know there are verses where ghosts are tangible and actively have to "turn on" intangibility. I don't think being able to punch a ghost while it's tangible should be treated as hax. Especially if said person goes through that ghost if they turn on intangibility.

It was discussed in another thread whether or not people who can take hits from people with soul mutilation/destruction should get a resistance. For example, all Kirby villains getting a resistance for being able to take hits from Kirby, who can destroy ghosts.

@Ryu This happens rarely from what I know. We shouldn't treat it as standard, but obviously, ghosts that need to go intangible to be intangible won't need any special requirements to be hit normally.

@Saikou I never said to treat it as standard. Just to not treat particular cases like that as hax. Which you seem to agree with.

In some Zelda games, Poes are only intangible selectively, the game's information about them even acknowledging that you can't hit them half the time. In other Zelda games, however, this isn't acknowledged and evidence shows that this isn't the case.

I still have to ask where this is the standard, if needed I can provide examples where this not (Heck, the fact that most ghost fighting characters don't one shot anyone alive via soul destruction alone makes me doubt this is the case.)

@Matt I think the case by case analysis works

@Kep actually intangible (immaterial) specifically mentions ghosts, and I don't see how its a non-sequitur, at that case it would mean that they have a very limited soul destruction, at best.

Photons are intangible, but not non-corporeal. I don't see how that's the case with ghosts.

@Kep Abstract existence doesn't have ghosts in its description either. It seems to be limited to intangibility immaterial unless there was a mistake.

@Matt wait, before I forget, what about verses that doesn't conclude on what happens to the ghost afterward?

Here

Non-Corporeal (or Incorporeal) beings are those who have no true physical form. Though they may have physical avatars or bodies, but their true essence exists non-physically, whether as a soul, as energy, or as an abstract concept

I am fine with case-by-case analysis.

Back