• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

In-Canon power boosts and Calc Stacking

Is it considered Calc stacking to multiply a cacl value for a characters strength and speed with an in canon strength boost?

For example, if a character is calced to be able to punch at 10x faster than the speed of light and has an attack potency of 100 teratons, and that same character is given a 10x power boost as stated in canon, would it be okay to say that with the power up, that character can punch at 100x faster than the spped of light and has an attack potency of 1000 teratons?

I think that lamunanimousinthat was talking about all stats power boosts

That is the way that I understood it as well.

Speaking of which, why do we accept power multipliers in the first place? For the most part, they don't make sense. They're normally used to get a slight edge, but they're never used for one-shots, and normally the boost is easy enough for one. 3 times something should be enough to one-shot. Kaio Ken has 20x, so if you weren't getting one-shotted before, you're doing the one-shotting now. This is boosted even further with The God of High School's Na Bong Chim Acupuncture. At least with Nakiri Kuubou, there's a feat supporting it, and for Raide, there's even a calc supporting the boost, showing that we're at least a little suspicious of it.

Here's an analogy. I'm fighting a villain evenly, and we stop. He tells me that he has a technique that boosts his power literally tenfold. He's winning, but I can still react and slightly hurt him. Does it make sense that his power is increased by ten?

Agree with Cal. Evidence suggests that Power Multipliers are very unreliable. Honestly I'm suprised that Goku's Kaioken is accepted as a legit multilplier when there are issues with it.

One of the worst offenders is Hody from One Piece with those pills. He was giving Luffy a good fight but still losing. He then proceeds to munch on dozens of pills that supposedly each of them doubles your power. Logically his power should have increased a thousand fold at the very least. The fight still continues as normal and Hody somehow manages to lose.

Question is, if amped up Hody was equal to Luffy, why didn't he get oneshot before taking the pills?

Standard Plot-Induced Stupidity most likely. However, I suppose that we have to evaluate whether or not such an in-story claim makes sense on a case-to-case basis.

Yes they should be evaluated on a case by case basis, but the main problem still stands.

If we scale Base Hody to somewhere near Zoro's strength since they did fight, and we accept his pill multipliers as legit, the results would be highly innacurate and therefore unusable.

Same thing would happen if we were to accept the fact that Fishmen are 10x stronger than humans. Supposing Hody is stronger than the average fishman, he would be around Street level and if we accepted his pill multipliers, he would be around Room level.

Both results are highly innacurate and this is not a case isolated to One Piece because in general mangakas do not have the slightest idea about powerscaling and multipliers, so accepting them would be a mistake on our side. Unless there is very strong proof that support these multipliers of course.

Well, given that this logic can be applied to most matchups in fiction in general, I personally think that we should accept explicit multipliers unless strongly contradicted.

I also do not wish to have to spend lots of time on rescaling several franchises because of suddenly changed standards, unless there is an extremely valid beneficial reason to do so. However, this is the wrong place to discuss this.

In my opinion, if the multiplier is enough to justify a tier jump, they should only have a "possibly" unless this is supported by something else. Like Kars.

Back