• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: Regarding image uploads

Amelia_Lonelyheart

Luckiest Lady in the Land
She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
As many of you may know, recently our chat moderator ALRF was banned across Fandom, and was even more recently unbanned. For those of you unaware, ALRF was banned for uploading "Offensive Content" in the form of a screenshot containing homophobic slurs, which ALRF only uploaded to report the person saying the slurs. Here's the full quote:

You [ALRF] were banned for uploading a screenshot with very offensive homophobic slurs on it. I realize that you uploaded it to show someone else's behaviour, but you are responsible for any content you add to the wiki. You were blocked for a month, but I'm willing to remove the block if you assure me that you won't upload similar content in the future. Regards,

This is obviously a pretty big development.

Since posting evidence of wrong-doing in the forums, or more importantly the chat (given the lack of formal logging) is key in reporting and banning trolls or unsavory folks may be against the rules if whatever they're doing is deemed "offensive", I contacted Fandom about the issue. The long and short of it is this: We're allowed to upload the evidence to third party sites (Imgur, Gyazo, Lightshot, etc), just not to Wikia itself. Here's the full reply:

Thanks for contact FANDOM. To investigate this further: what is the name of the banned moderator, and who (if you know) banned them? We don't normally accept screenshots as evidence of activity, but also don't generally accept offensive uploads. Third-party sites may be acceptable under local rules, but without knowing a bit more it's a bit harder to know the full situation.

Thanks!

TL;DR: When you want to post a screenshot of someones bad behavior, you must upload it to Imgur, Gyazo, Lightshot or any third party site of your choosing, you cannot upload it directly here as that may be in violation of global Fandom rules, thus risking a global ban. This also goes for other things Fandom may consider risqué and offensive. Thank you all for your time.

Makes sense. Post the offenses as a link, instead of uploading said offenses to the wiki as that in itself is a violation.

(Makes no difference to me, as they're both still on the wiki, one is just in our files.)

Yeah, pretty much. The new rule itself doesn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but I figured everyone should be caught up to speed.

I have previously added a segment to the first post in the rule-violation thread about strictly using external sites to present screencapture evidence.

Well, thanks for clarifying things here, people will certainly keep it in mind (......maybe)

Yeah, I agree too. This is asinine.

But, as long as they're not preventing people from posting third-party links to screenshots, I guess it's not as bad as it could be. And while it doesn't affect me (since I never use that method), it's good to be prepared regardless.

Still. Ridiculous.

Considering the "legalize" of WIkia's terms of service and use, this is sad to know we can't use easily accessible resource for all our members. I fear recent and current events may lead to some of our international member not being able to see this content, even for rule violations, because some sites may be blocked by their Internet Service Provider or country.

Regardless it is unlikely it will be a large issue. Hop hopes to see ARLF back again soon. Hop also will use Imgur for uploading images containing that content, but not for anything else.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I honestly find this pretty unfair and overblown. But regardless, thanks for clarifying the situation and finding a solution. I don't think much will change in the long run.
^ OwO ^

Back