• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important! New Pages NEED References

Okay. It would obviously be better to add references that are more specific regarding what part of a game that feats happened in for example.

I must add that ==[[References]]== was a very natural addition to the standard character page format. It made sense from a disclosure of information standpoint.

I must add that ==[[References]]== was a very natural addition to the standard character page format. It made sense from a disclosure of information standpoint.
Okay. Isn't the link at the end of that section sufficient then?

Last edited:
Okay. Isn't the link at the end of that section sifficient then?
I mean, the viewers eyes aren’t trained to look there. We’ve condition them with [[Attack Potency]], [[Speed]], [[Lifting Strength]], etc, that blue means there’s a link, black means no link.

Of course, I was under the impression when I saw it yesterday, [[References]] was made a link you can access from the “Character” pages, not just “Standard Format for Character Profiles”. Thus showing we value listing references as much as listing how fast a character is.

I am not sure if I understand your arguments, but think that it also looks rather out of place to add an embedded link to the title of one section but not others. I do not feel strongly about the issue though, so it depends on what other staff members here think.

It’s more or less presenting a perspective. I try to stay aware of methods of optimizing access to information for the “ones who doesn’t have time to research” out there.

But they would have to read the references page to learn anything anyway. Why can't they read the brief references section in the character profiles page as well?

But they would have to read the references page to learn anything anyway. Why can't they read the brief references section in the character profiles page as well?
I can’t speak for myself, but to the average, fledgling wiki member, they learn off the individual character profiles more than the Standard Format for Character Profiles when developing their base level method for indexing. If the individual character profiles doesn’t have a link to references like links to Tiers, Attack Potency, Speed, etc, the page doesn’t exist. It’d only be after, when they want to learn more about the standard format, they go to the Standard Format for Character Profiles. This would mean we would get a new profiles made by new users who don’t emphasize on references as much as stats.

Tho, even if we had a link there, references will probably still not be as emphasize as stats but I guess it would still work as a precaution.

Hmm. I would appreciate further input from staff and experienced members regarding what I should do here.

I am against putting a link to the references page in the section header. I think links in section headers look incredibly ugly.

I guess it would come down to efficiency versus appearance. Hmm… but I don’t know how to make it look better for appearance sake at the moment.

I am against putting a link to the references page in the section header. I think links in section headers look incredibly ugly.
Yes, agreed, although I think that I added them to our main tiering system page in lack of better options, to make it easier for visitors to find character profile pages with specific tiers.

Wait a minute, isn’t ==[[References|<span style=“color:black”>References</span>]]== an option if color is the only issue?

Probably? But then viewers probably won't identify it.

Since adding references is an editor thing, I'm okay with its current level of prominence.

Wait a minute, isn’t ==[[References|<span style=“color:black”>References</span>]]== an option if color is the only issue?
Just a note that I do not think that we should start messing with our overall page formatting for references sections without a preceding staff forum thread regarding the issue that has been accepted by our staff.

Just a note that I do not think that we should start messing with our overall page formatting for references sections without a preceding staff forum thread regarding the issue that has been accepted by our staff.
Ah, you did message me on my wall about it so I looked here if there was a similar comment. I'm not aware if there's a rule against the use of collapsible's and am seeing how ==[[References|<span style=“color:black”>References</span>]]== practical they are on some verses to see. I know the pages I used as test with ==[[References|<span style=“color:black”>References</span>]]== and am ready to reverse them. I didn't do many since the thread is still ongoing.

But why is collapsible's a no no without a thread? I surprise by how user friendly they are and didn't think there was restriction in their use.

Last edited:
Well, we cannot suddenly use very inconsistent page formatting standards from case to case.

As for the collapsible references sections, that also easily looks unprofessional, as many visitors will get the false impression that they are empty, and cause our members to think that it is fine to insert empty sections in the first place.

Last edited:
Well, we cannot suddenly use very inconstistent page formatting standards from case to case.
Not in favor of inconsistent pages either. :/

As for the collapsible references sections, that also easily looks unprofessional, as many vistiors will get the false impression that they are empty, and cause our members to think that it is fine to insert empty sections in the first place.
Hm... while I can kinda understand the concern, they aren't visually empty. Both in the Desktop and Mobile format, there is a noticeable [Expand] under the lines. More noticeable for Mobile users. Example:

There's also this method for a collapsible from another Wiki but I don't know the text to apply it in VSBW.

Last edited:
The problem is that it is quite easy to not notice or understand the expand button, especially in desktop viewing mode.

Hm... is it possible to modify the coding to become noticeable while remaining unintrusive?

Like moving [Expand] from the right to left ex. underneath Gallery, changing [Expand] to [Click to Show] or [For more Information], or introduce new coding similar to how we switched from Template:Tab2 to Template:[insert character] for a thin bar across the page (see above example) to indicate more text is available if desired by viewer?

I would much prefer if we keep all of the references clearly visible in the standard format of wikipedia and other professional-looking wikis. If a references section turns extremely large, you can always place it in a scroll box instead.

if you have a "something" using the same refernece more than once. What is that code again? the reference page sounds kind of confusing to me...

The code goes as followed

<ref name="name">Reference text</ref>

What is "reference text" here? is it the text being used to describe the ability, or realm etc?

The text that pops up in the reference. If you use <ref name="page 77">The Chronicles of PunchyPerson Page 77</ref>, then every other time you type <ref name="page 77"> it will add a reference that says "The Chronicles of PunchyPerson Page 77".

using an exmaple

if i do

<ref name="Vol. 22"/>Saint Seiya: Volume 22<ref name="Vol. 22">

every time i type
<ref name="Vol. 22">

it'll add that reference?

i know i sort of parroted what you said but its how i learn lol...

Last edited:
Oh shit, I messed up my example.

Every other time you type it, you'd have to type <ref name="Vol. 22"/> not <ref name="Vol. 22"> It needs a forward slash right before the bracket closes.

But outside of that, yeah, that's how it works.

Every other time you type it, you'd have to type <ref name="Vol. 22"/> not <ref name="Vol. 22"> It needs a forward slash right before the bracket closes.

oooohh okay!

Thank you!

I would much prefer if we keep all of the references clearly visible in the standard format of wikipedia and other professional-looking wikis. If a references section turns extremely large, you can always place it in a scroll box instead.
@ElixirBlue

Did you correct the pages in which you inserted collapsed reference sections?

The colour-specified references explanation page links in the headers for references sections also seem best to remove.

Show me, can't get the hang of it.

Also, you should include the following code at the bottom of the page:
Ah **** I didn't know that-

Can I just go ahead and add that to my pages? They have references and shit but they don't have this specific code lol.

Ah **** I didn't know that-

Can I just go ahead and add that to my pages? They have references and shit but they don't have this specific code lol.
If your pages have longer references sections (like, more than 10 or so items) you should use this code instead:

==References==
{{scroll box|content={{reflist|2}}}}
{{Discussions}}
But yeah, no CRT or permission needed to add that sorta thing if it's missing.

Also, you should include the following code at the bottom of the page:
If there are lots of references, the following code should be used instead:

==References==
{{Reflist|2}}
{{Discussions}}

Back