• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How is Battle IQ measured?

The title. Basically, if a character is called a genius in combat, I want to know what parameters are required for that. The wiki has set parameters for General Intelligence, but I can't find anything regarding how to determine BIQ.

Edit: So like I guessed, we have no set parameters for BIQ (from the replies so far).

Last edited:
For Intelligence in combat, the character must have the same type of feats required in Intelligence, i.e. great adaptation, mastery of many martial arts and feats of creating effective strategies during combat.

For Intelligence in combat, the character must have the same type of feats required in Intelligence, i.e. great adaptation, mastery of many martial arts and feats of creating effective strategies during combat.
How do we decide where exactly characters scale in combat iq though? Like, what exactly is the difference between an Above Average combat iq character and a Gifted combat iq character, or a Gifted combat iq character and Genius combat iq character?

Like Dino said. I am asking for concrete parameters. Like there is a concrete distinction between EG and Genius when it comes to general intelligence. BIQ just seems very vague and arbitrary on how it's currently handled. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do we even have any standards for Battle IQ in intelligence? IIRC from what I have seen, we just arbitrarily assumed something is EG in terms of combat if it just seemed way higher compared to humans (and the verse, too, I think) and that was it. I don't think we have any standards for it, nor do I recall anyone making a thread to address how it works.

I'd like if there was an actual standard for it, though. I wanna know if my boy fits the criteria.

Only god knows. This wiki can barely measure combat skill, trying to accurately rate a intelligence rating off of it is a fools errand.

It is genuinly currently just vibes yes.
It's so funny watching people be at each other's throats for proving a characters BIQ, when there is no reference to compare to. "X character is EG in BIQ cuz he is so based and would definitely let him hit"

Do we even have any standards for Battle IQ in intelligence? IIRC from what I have seen, we just arbitrarily assumed something is EG in terms of combat if it just seemed way higher compared to humans (and the verse, too, I think) and that was it. I don't think we have any standards for it, nor do I recall anyone making a thread to address how it works.
We don't. That's why I had to make this thread.
I'd like if there was an actual standard for it, though. I wanna know if my boy fits the criteria.
That's the aim

How do we decide where exactly characters scale in combat iq though? Like, what exactly is the difference between an Above Average combat iq character and a Gifted combat iq character, or a Gifted combat iq character and Genius combat iq character?
It's so funny watching people be at each other's throats for proving a characters BIQ, when there is no reference to compare to. "X character is EG in BIQ cuz he is so based and would definitely let him hit"
Usually a character who has a minimum of tactics in combat and is quite gifted gets Gifted. Genius is obtained by various feats that show great mastery of martial arts and combat techniques (the greater the number and mastery, the closer he gets to Genius), the creation of several effective strategies during his fights (if he can create more than 3 in an instant he has every chance of obtaining Genius). What you need to do is gather the feats and explain them clearly (a large number is better) then go to the Intelligence evaluation thread.

Usually a character who has a minimum of tactics in combat and is quite gifted gets Gifted. Genius is obtained by various feats that show great mastery of martial arts and combat techniques (the greater the number and mastery, the closer he gets to Genius), the creation of several effective strategies during his fights (if he can create more than 3 in an instant he has every chance of obtaining Genius). What you need to do is gather the feats and explain them clearly (a large number is better) then go to the Intelligence evaluation thread.
And how is EG in combat defined. What I am getting is that there is no established parameters for BIQ correct?

It will work a bit like standard intelligence but in terms of calculation:
  • Genius: equivalent to a computer with a high calculation capacity
  • Extraordinary Genius: comparable to a super computer with a high calculation capacity, usually display feats like simulating all the possibilities of a fight just by looking at the two fighters (often they are in the range of 10,000 simulated possibilities) and stuff like that.

I think a few more specifics should be added. I am thinking about making a CRT for this. Can anybody tell me where these types of changes should be discussed? The CRT threads or staff discussions.

I think a few more specifics should be added. I am thinking about making a CRT for this. Can anybody tell me where these types of changes should be discussed? The CRT threads or staff discussions.
You'll have to make a sandbox where you really detail each level for intelligence in combat and then ask an admin if you can make a staff thread.

Up until fairly recently, Extraordinary Genius combat intelligence wasn't even generally accepted as a possible rating.

To be honest, going according to the definitions of the ratings;

Average combat iq would be a character who has a basic understanding of how a fight works, and can make simple combat strategies.

Above Average combat iq would be a character who is a quite experienced combattant and can understand and analyze his opponent and make strategies to defeat them. Examples of a character with Above Average combat iq would be a notorious street fighter or an average martial artist.

Gifted combat iq would refer to characters with exceptional skills. These characters should be able to use multiple martial art techniques in their fights, and be recognized as a genius combattant (obviously). Examples of a character with Gifted BIQ would be characters who are naturally good at fighting even before undergoing training, and characters who were recognized as geniuses early on their martial arts training.

I really have close to no idea what grants a character Genius and above BIQ tho. I guess mastering multiple martial arts?

To be honest, going according to the definitions of the ratings;

Average combat iq would be a character who has a basic understanding of how a fight works, and can make simple combat strategies.

Above Average combat iq would be a character who is a quite experienced combattant and can understand and analyze his opponent and make strategies to defeat them. Examples of a character with Above Average combat iq would be a notorious street fighter or an average martial artist.

Gifted combat iq would refer to characters with exceptional skills. These characters should be able to use multiple martial art techniques in their fights, and be recognized as a genius combattant (obviously). Examples of a character with Gifted BIQ would be characters who are naturally good at fighting even before undergoing training, and characters who were recognized as geniuses early on their martial arts training.

I really have close to no idea what grants a character Genius and above BIQ tho. I guess mastering multiple martial arts?
The average person has no idea how to fight tho. We have to take that into account.

The average person has no idea how to fight tho. We have to take that into account.
Well if the character in question has never fought before (which begs the question, why even have that dude on a wiki dedicated fighting lmao) then they should get an Unknown rating on their combat iq.

I think even throwing a decently correct punch deserves an Average rating in my book though.

Back