• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How do Things go After Every Unique Individual Disappears from a Setting?

Specifically, "Unique Individuals" from the audience's perspective. If their name is something the audience/players, they irreversibly disappear.

Similarly, if they're unnamed, but purposefully distinct so as to be notable to the audience, they will also have irreversibly disappeared.

So Krypto the Superdog would disappear, as he's distinct & named, but not all dogs, nor existing Kryptonians would disappear.

Likewise, the Spiky-Eared_Pichu would also be gone, as she's a unique-individual. However, Pichu is a species name, so other, non-unique Pichu & similar groups of Pokemon would be fine, as would "generic bystanders" of most verses.

Lastly, as an exception, while Species Name won't be cause for disappearance, being a Single Specimen Species will.

EDIT: Beings who are necessary for a universe or setting to function at a basic level, are exempt from disappearing this way.

So, got a 'verse in mind? How do these changes affect the 'verse?

What would happen if it were suddenly pitted against another setting? What if the other setting has these changes, too?

Have fun discussing!

Marvel Comics: ******* dies because Galactus not being around makes the life in the world extinct

Zark2099 said:
Marvel Comics: ******* dies because Galactus not being around makes the life in the world extinct
What exactly is the way Galactus sustains life? & even if he is gone, that doesn't mean he takes their unused life force with him, right? Especially if it's instant or those who disappeared aren't intended to react to this? Wouldn't they still have some sand left in their hourglasses (metaphorically speaking.) before they die?

Also, "the world"? Isn't Marvel a multiverse, & each 'verse has multiple planets?

Are there any non distinct entities like Galactus that could/would take up his role of sustaining life?

Galactus is the embodiment of life in the universe, for every universe there is a similiar character.

If Galactus is killed in a way his life force is erased with him, the universe dies, and it is instant.

No.

Imaginym said:
Zark2099 said:
What exactly is the way Galactus sustains life? & even if he is gone, that doesn't mean he takes their unused life force with him, right? Especially if it's instant or those who disappeared aren't intended to react to this? Wouldn't they still have some sand left in their hourglasses (metaphorically speaking.) before they die?
Also, "the world"? Isn't Marvel a multiverse, & each 'verse has multiple planets?

Are there any non distinct entities like Galactus that could/would take up his role of sustaining life?
actually...
It doesnt work
nope

Zark2099 said:
Galactus is the embodiment of life in the universe, for every universe there is a similiar character.
If Galactus is killed in a way his life force is erased with him, the universe dies, and it is instant.

No.
Thanks for the clarification!

Suppose such entities are exempt from "being disappeared", then? (But obviously, without them restoring/creating substitutes for those who're gone; Kinda defeats the purpose of a scenario to just undo it.)

Also, if for every universe there IS a similar character, surely the audience doesn't know every one of them, right?

Keep in mind, part of the criteria is meant to be those who are unique to the audiences/viewers; If they exist, but the audience doesn't find out their name or otherwise learn of them distinguishing themselves, they're fine.

(Ex: Realistically, most of the people in a crowd are going to have names & uniqueness.... But if they're background folks in a cartoon, people watching on TV aren't gonna learn who they are! Hence being known about by audiences being criteria.

So it could be argued lifegiving beings like the Galactus equivalent EVERY Marvel universe necessarily has, who the readers don't even know the names/appearance/characterization of are indistinct enough that they wouldn't disappear.)

How do you mean & figure? I mean, I'd guess you mean Marvel stories where the stakes are multiversal, but even then, this scenario would have tons of superheroes & other characters who don't exist.

Also, I could believe it, but surely not all such stories involve characters who are necessary for life/the universe to be, at a basic level, right?

I mean, most multiversal or higher stories usually have a being that's necessary for existence to function in one way or the other. Whether they're a universal constant, a guardian deity, a keeper of balance etc. Yog-Sothoth for example is literally the cosmology of the Cthulhu Mythos so you can't exactly remove him.

@Planck69: Noted. Edited the opening post to include "EDIT: Beings who are necessary for a universe or setting to function at a basic level, are exempt from disappearing this way."

Hopefully that should prevent discussions both starting AND stopping with "This character's gone, the setting/universe dies", & can help keep things more interesting.

After all, there's plenty of 'verses to discuss, & more things that could be caused by such an event than just the battles (Many of which could be analyzed in a Vs. Threads, even if they might be mismatched.)

After all, this would mean researchers, unique animals/monsters, love interests, large portions of families & others disappearing. They might not be critically powerful, but how would their civilizations & such deal with such influential forces being gone?

Cthulhu Mythos: Without Cthulhu, the Elder Things would wipe out humanity once it got annoying and rule over the planet. Mi-go would be a problem but this time they wouldn't have to fight a war on two fronts that weakens them and exhausts their resources. So Cthulhu not existing would ironically lead to the end of the world.

Puella Magi Verse: Kyubey is a species, so he narrowly dodges this issue. Without the big girls, Kyubey just keeps doing what he's doing until his quota is fulfilled.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni: The catbox story simply doesn't happen, so all of the voyagers go on with their lives.

Minecraft: The bosses up and disappear so... it's just ambiance I guess.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku Wo!: The Demon King just lost all of his generals (Wiz, Vanir, Beldia, Hans, Sylvia, Wolbach, and Seresdina) except for his daughter. So I guess everyone prepares to wipe her out and invade the Demon King.

Tbh the answer to a lot of mine are just indistinguishable from reality or their own settings. These include:

• Parahumans (Verse): No Scion=no powers and the cold war ends the normal way, timeline never diverges from reality
  • Hotline Miami: Cold war ends a little different, probably not the full scale nuclear war at the end of HLM2
  • Katana ZERO: Probably doesn't change very much from itself. Unnamed NULL, anomalies like kissyface, Zero himself ultimately having a pretty local impact, etc.
  • The Cosmere: No named characters=standard for whatever time x book series isi sets in because there aren't any Shards so nobody gets any form of magic
  • Salt and Sanctuary: World probably just goes on as normal, no nameless god means no weirdness on the isle, standard midieval
  • Warhammer 40,000: Nothing would have ever started. Also a bunch of really fundamental concepts just don't exist. Whoops.
  • Destiny: No traveller and no darkness=normal

I think the issue with mine tends to be one of two things. Either the named characters have a pretty self contained story and the general status quo wouldn't change much without them, or there are some named entities too fundamental to making the verse different from reality so it's just reality.

If you remove the unique people, nothing happens in almost every verse, so this isn't that great of a question

So basically it's just another case of being the same as reality

Edwardtruong2006 said:
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku Wo!: The Demon King just lost all of his generals (Wiz, Vanir, Beldia, Hans, Sylvia, Wolbach, and Seresdina) except for his daughter. So I guess everyone prepares to wipe her out and invade the Demon King.
The Demon King & his daughter aren't distinct, or are essential to the universe? I should clarify that the essential to the universe's functioning exception isn't meant to apply if you're only essential to the plot/storyline.

@Wokistan: Likewise, Chaos Gods being gone is one example why I put in that exception. A world can go on without a heroic plumber in overalls, but Chaos Gods not existing kinda eliminates stuff like change, violence, nature, etc. that are kinda needed for a setting.

(Also, sad people don't like the question that much, & I appreciate your answers in particular, Wok.)

Back