• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ho-Oh vs Hououmon

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
This will be a series of F&G matches in which we see how Pokemon would fair against their Digimon "rivals" if all stats were equalized and it just came down to their abiltiies. This is also a design contest as well. So which side's design do you like more?

This is battle number 1. Battle of two Phoenixes based off of the same mythological entity.

I expect actual debates. Of course this won't be added to profiles.

Ho-Oh: 0 | 3 (Vin, Saikou, Zex, Stone)

Hououmo: 6 (Vin, Emperor, Anon, Zex, Saikou, Boogie) | 3 (Anon, Dragon, Emperor)

Inconclusive: 0

250Ho-Oh HGSS 2

Hououmon crusader2

It's tough to choose one actually. Ho-Oh has decent ranged and melee attacks, though it's strongest moves usually have downsides like taking recoil damage or losing the fire type temporarily. I think a big decider here will be what ability Ho-Oh has. Pressure ensures or at least helps Ho-Oh in a battle of attrition, which this will likely come down to, but Regenerator is less useful since spending time away from the battle allows Houou to heal as well. Houou's healing states it restores a lot of health, so it's fair to assume it can at least match Ho-Oh's regenerator. If Ho-Oh is too slow or can't find cover while fleeing, it would also leave itself open to Houou's plethora of ranged attacks. I suppose it's also possible that we treat Ho-Oh as having both here.

Houou having a counter to ranged moves also helps it a lot here, since Ho-Oh will be forced to either find a way around it, which would most likely be resorting to melee. Being unable, or having more difficulty, fighting at range means that Ho-Oh will take more hits to start, as an entire section of it's arsenal is essentially worthless unless it can misdirect Houou or cause it to drop it's guard long enough for a ranged move to hit. Absorbing life force is also quite handy for Houou here, since it can passively damage Ho-Oh without being too aggressive so as to leave an opening, and it being energy based likely means it works at range as well so it wouldn't need to enter Ho-Oh's active range to do so.

Houou also has access to powerful light attacks, that Ho-Oh won't be resisting, a buff to said light attacks, and a potential instant kill. If push comes to shove Houou even has Safety Guard to prevent it's defeat, and with it's healing it can potentially come back from a near-loss fairly easily unless it's caught off-guard.

Overall if I had to vote now I'd guess Houou would win since it has a wide array of moves that include healing, buffs, guarding itself from death, instant death, absorbing life force, and just generally powerful attacks. It's worth noting that moves like Extrasensory would get around Houou's ranged barrier, but Houou's resistance to mind/soul attacks and the fact all it's own attacks hit the mind/soul make this seem pretty decisive. Both have healing, but Houou will defend against ranged attacks while counter attacking from the same range so healing works less as supportive evidence for Ho-Oh and more as a balancer for the fight. It's also unknown if Recover can restore the mind/soul damage Houou will be dealing, so I don't see Ho-Oh winning this.

Conclusion. It's hard fought, but Houou eventually wins. Ho-Oh has some chances here but it's advantages aren't as numerous or conclusive as Houou's so it's fighting an uphill battle against an opponent with equal stats, a counter to a lot of it's moves, fairly potent healing, specific damage buffs, and an instant kill. It's also worth noting that Houou isn't helpless in melee range either, since it inherits a few moves from Garudamon that utilize it's talons. My vote should be firmly in favour of Hououmon, unless there's something I missed.

As for the design aspect I'll admit I'm biased toward Ho-Oh a bit, since it's the legendary of my first Pokemon game and I never used Hououmon in any of the Digimon games I played.

Edit: I said "here" so many times that it's painful to read

Hououmon for Vindictive's very nice post (take the kudos).

The Digi has the better design for me. Not only is it awesome but I have never really liked Ho-Oh's design.

I mean, pretty sure the usual "smack your soul with my attacks" Undertale thing is gonna destroy Ho-Oh either way. So Phoenixmon fra

Well I continue to not like at all Digimon designs. In this case, I prefer Ho-Oh's more detailed design in its wings compared to Houomon, who's kinda simple wings on a simple bird body, with only the tails having more complexity. Plus sudden mecha head on an otherwise bird-like body.

I mean, it's not really out of place considering the nature of the series. I feel like it only being on the head fits better than it being on the body. Plus it fits with the Holy Rings on its ankles.

I never really cared for Ho-Oh that much tbh. It kinda just looked like a colorful chicken. It's elegant, but I prefer Hououmon a lot more seeing as it looks more deadly and cool to me, while still being a Holy and Elegant creature. Although its evolutionary line is odd.

For reference, this is its pre evo (who I honestly do like more).

Garudamon3

A Stoned Orc said:
That pre-evo reminds me of Blaziken.
That said, I like Ho-oh more than the OP's Hououmon image, especially shiny Ho-oh.
Yeah, Blaziken looks a lot like Poke-Garudamon.

It's those thicc feet that really put me off Houhoumon. They'd be completely ineffective at grasping things, with that stubby "thumb" claw.

I doubt Hououmon cares for grabbing things. It would rsther just blow you the **** up lol. Plus, those talons look like they'd just crush everything. I think that's the thing, those are destructive and crushing talons and not grabbing talons.

I tried too but my memories come with vaguely good feelings about that fight. Plus WarGrey didn't just one shot two Dark Masters like in Adventure.

AnonymousBlank said:
Plus WarGrey didn't just one shot two Dark Masters like in Adventure.
Well those two DM were dramon digimon, which WG has an immense advantage against due to his Dramon Killers.

Also Hououmon FRA and honestly prefer It's design over Ho-Oh whoI always thought of as meh.

Back