• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hitting Ghosts/Souls = Soul Manipulation?

Saikou_The_Lewd_King

The King of all Things Lewd
VS Battles
Retired
Our profiles do not seem to agree if hitting ghosts or souls should be Soul Manipulation or just "Can hit non-corporeal beings". For example, our Touhou profiles describe it as Soul Manip.

While our Terraria, Kirby and LoZ profiles do not.

Another problem that is related to this: Can we assume that someone who can destroy lone souls/ghosts can directly attack the soul of someone that's still in their body? And thus, can people who survive like this get Soul Manip Resistance?

I feel that both of these subjects have no consensus and end up being debated in VS Threads, so I'd appreciate if we could get some semblance of consensus on this.

On Terrarian's profile, it just states "Can hit souls". While he does have Soul Resist, it comes from something else mainly anyway.

I usually assume that if you can kill a ghost, it means that if you kill someone you'd destroy the soul alongside the body.

But it isn't the one-shot kind of soul manipulation, it's simply damaging both at once.

Well it depends. Usually, people who can attack the soul have their soul damage scale to their AP.

For example, 6-C Terraria takes a few hits to destroy a soul while 3-C Terrarian casually one-shots it.

Killing/Harming a ghost, should be considered "can harm intangible beings and souls", but people shouldn't get a resistance to Soul Manipulation necessarily for being able to take their hits, but maybe it could be specified that their soul durability is as powerful as their actual durability.

this reminds me that these things need to be added to like every Mario profile

Ghosts aren't intangible. Usually they're considered Non-Corporeal, because they lack a physical body in the first place (Which is the requirement for Non-Corporeal)

I don't think that we can just assume that taking hits from someone who can kill ghosts would give resistance to soul manipulation, and that killing ghosts should outright give soul manipulation, but, either way, I'd like to see what this leads to

I can see it not automatically giving Soul Resistance, but I think killing ghosts means you can harm intangible beings and souls. Beerus, Bartz Klauser, Link (Composite), they seem to treat it this way. RPG characters that can just hurt ghosts casually are a good example. Mario characters that can hurt Boos are another good example.

If we agree that surviving such attacks does not give Resistance to Soul Manip, then we should agree that attacking a ghost =/= able to hit the soul of someone who's still alive, right?

Well, I don't think that's true. I think it's more along the lines of that it wasn't the intention of the story, similar to why RPG bosses don't automatically resist Death Manipulation or Transmutation, that sort of thing. I think that they should be able to hit souls inside the body if they could hit souls at all. If it's agreed that people who get hit get Soul Resistance, though, I'm fine with that.

Back